    I would love to hear what results you have had. Thanks very much,
    Lee
    , Apr 28, 2006

  2. Pat Guest

    I have heard of fotoworks, but I have never used them. So that doesn't
    mean much other then I must have seen an ad somewhere.... Just
    comparing their websites, they look more like a pro lab. The important
    thing is they tell you what type of paper and process they are using.
    They use Fuji. Personally, I like the skin tones of Kodak. Find a
    place that used the Endura Pro paper and you'll be happy.

    Good luck.
    Pat, Apr 28, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Has anybody tried the following online printers?
    >
    > www.printroom.com
    > www.alphafotoworks.com
    >
    > I am looking for an online PRO printing option, something beyond the
    > snapfish, ofoto, and shutterfly types...
    >
    > I would love to hear what results you have had. Thanks very much,

    I've been using Printroom for almost a year; recommend them. There's
    also Shutterfly pro I considered.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Apr 29, 2006
  4. Conrad Guest

    Hi,

    >>I am looking for an online PRO printing option, something beyond the snapfish (H-P)<<

    I've used snapfish for 16x20 and 20x30 prints. Very satisfactory
    results (and sales).

    I'm wondering how much better the human eye can discern and are the
    cost differences worth it?

    I'm not trying to start a war - just curious.

    Best,

    Conrad
    Camp Sherman, Oregon
    Conrad, Apr 29, 2006
  5. Lee Guest

    yeah, that is what I am wondering too. hate to go around ordering
    expensive prints from everyone under the sun just to compare them.
    Lee, Apr 29, 2006
  6. Pat Guest

    Huge. That's the difference between printers and their equipment.
    Even the grade of photo paper they use is important.

    Do a very simple and cheap test. Take the same set of files and send
    them off two a couple of local 1 hour places (Walmart, Eckert, etc) and
    send to the mail-order places. Take a look and decide who you want to
    use. You can do the whole thing for $25 or so. You will be amazed by
    the differences. When you send the files, make sure you send images
    with a variety of subjects, lights, etc.

    Also make sure you send to places using different machines (Kodak,
    Fuji, etc.).

    I think the differences in the highlights, lowlights, and skin tones
    will amaze you when you see them side by side.
    Pat, Apr 30, 2006
  7. Lee <> wrote:
    > yeah, that is what I am wondering too. hate to go around ordering
    > expensive prints from everyone under the sun just to compare them.

    What matters is how tight their color management is and what quality of paper
    they use. If they are sloppy you get sloppy results.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 1, 2006
  8. Pat Guest

    I just got back from taking my son to the dentist. They had Popular
    Photography there. They ranked MPIX.com very highly, FWIW.
    Pat, May 1, 2006
  9. Pat <> wrote:
    > I just got back from taking my son to the dentist. They had Popular
    > Photography there. They ranked MPIX.com very highly, FWIW.

    I second MPIX. They do decent work and have a broad product selection. I
    have a 10x15 frame in my office that I often replace the print in for variety
    .... MPIX can handle the job. So many online retailers don't do 10x15! And
    Kodak Endura ... Mmm Mmmm.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, May 2, 2006
  10. Pat Guest

    I've never use the lab, but as you say, Kodak Endura is a GREAT paper.
    As I mentions before, find a place that uses that paper and you will
    generally be happy.
    Pat, May 2, 2006
  11. Lee Guest

    UPDATE:
    I did side-by-side comparison test of 4 online printers:

    1. Snapfish.com
    2. whcc.com
    3. ezprint.com
    4. mpix.com

    Results:
    Snapfish = glossy no name paper. Black & white had some bluish tones.
    more like a color print of black & white. Color print was a little less
    vibrant than the other three. 7-day turn around.

    Ezprint = glossy Fugi crystal archive paper (looks identical to the
    snapfish paper). Black & white looked good. Color looked good. 5 day
    turn around.

    Whcc & Mpix = Kodak Endura paper. (less "glossy" and more
    "glossy-textured" looking. looks more "professional" in my opinion).
    True black & white. Good color. whcc 2-day turnaround. Mpix 4 day
    turnaround.

    Conclusion: I am going with whcc.com. They have the best results and
    the fastest (by far) turnaround. They also have FREE shipping, which
    makes the overall cost similar to snapfish (which is the cheapest
    printing).
    Lee, May 11, 2006