Online printing services. Comments?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Code Developer, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Hi All,

    I need a batch of pictures printing and I'm looking for the best way of
    doing this, given the details below ...

    Batch of 35mm negatives scanned in at 4000dpi and saved as TIF in Adobe 1998
    space.

    Levels adjustment carried out and minor blemishes removed using PS7.

    At this point, I would normally print onto Epson Premium Gloss using an
    Epson 1290 printer. However, this time I require prints that are guaranteed
    fade resistant for as long as possible. I.e., photographic paper. Most of
    the prints will be stored in an album, although some may be displayed in a
    frame under glass. Most prints will be 10" x 8", matt / semigloss.

    Does anyone have any comments on preferred printing services in the UK, and
    how close the final prints actually appear to what is viewed on screen (the
    monitor has been calibrated with Adobe's gamma utility). Normally, the
    output from the Epson is very close to the on-screen image.

    In particular, has anyone used Jessop's on-line printing service? What was
    your opinion?

    Finally, what is the preferred resolution for any files uploaded to these
    services? Is 300dpi sufficient, or should the resolution be as high as
    possible?

    Thanks for your help,
    Shaun.

    Code Developer, Nov 4, 2003