Online picture storage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Riccardo Marzi, Mar 16, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I need a remote solution to store, search and backup my pictures. I have
    a lot of Gb in DVD and hds, but I need something online for better
    security and the ability to show images quickly.
    What I need:

    - timeline or archive mode based on date taken

    - private albums or categories (a lot of pictures will be private)

    - shows best pictures to the world. A comment system is a nice feature
    but not necessary

    - easy batch download pictures or albums if a I need some pictures
    (better if the original filename is preserved)

    - interface or application to upload a lot of file at the same time

    - slideshows

    Please make me some suggestions. Thanks

    ps. I like Flickr, but I can't make batch download (I've found some
    utilities but they don't work for new pictures due to new security system).

    --
    Riccardo Marzi www.zenigata.it
    Messenger:

    Riccardo Marzi, Mar 16, 2007

  2. Riccardo Marzi

    Joan Guest

    Please explain this problem. Do you mean download from or upload to
    Flickr?

    What were you expecting to achieve?

    --
    Joan

    "Riccardo Marzi" <> wrote in message

    :
    : ps. I like Flickr, but I can't make batch download (I've found some
    : utilities but they don't work for new pictures due to new security
    system).
    :
    : --

    Joan, Mar 16, 2007

  3. Joan ha scritto:
    > Please explain this problem. Do you mean download from or upload to
    > Flickr?

    I want to *download* from Flickr.

    > What were you expecting to achieve?

    I want to retrive from online arhive a copy of a gallery (photoset).

    Riccardo Marzi, Mar 16, 2007
  4. Riccardo Marzi

    Joan Guest

    It shouldn't be too hard to write something using the API.

    --

    : Joan ha scritto:
    : > Please explain this problem. Do you mean download from or upload
    : > Flickr?
    :

    Joan, Mar 16, 2007
  5. Joan ha scritto:
    > It shouldn't be too hard to write something using the API.

    All the programs I've tried doesn't works due to new security settings
    of Flickr.

    Can you suggest me another service that has all the features I need? Thanks

    Riccardo Marzi, Mar 16, 2007
  6. In article <45f9e3ae$0$10624$>, Riccardo
    Marzi <> wrote:

    > - shows best pictures to the world.

    Well, you have to have taken the best pictures, but I suppose that's
    another issue. :->

    Take a look at smugmug.com and phanfare.com. Both are fee-based and you
    get what you pay for.

    Phil Stripling, Mar 16, 2007
  7. Phil Stripling ha scritto:

    > Take a look at smugmug.com and phanfare.com. Both are fee-based and you
    > get what you pay for.

    Thank you. I think I'll sign up with one of them.

    Riccardo Marzi, Mar 16, 2007
  8. Riccardo Marzi

    Joan Guest

    What new security features are stopping them from working?

    I've been writing programs with the API, albeit, not to download full
    size images, but I've had no problems with security.

    Joan, Mar 16, 2007
  9. Joan ha scritto:

    > I've been writing programs with the API, albeit, not to download full
    > size images, but I've had no problems with security.

    On March 1st Flickr changed the way they name their images. Previously
    it was only a matter of changing _m.jpg to _o.jpg to get the original
    image, or swapping in “_s.jpg†to get a small thumbnail. Now the numbers
    in the filename change as well.

    With backup utilities I can't download full res images.

    Riccardo Marzi, Mar 17, 2007