    preferably free. I've seen someone saying google plus is better than
    flickr. Can these places be trusted as backup storage for photos -
    are they going to be around for a long time ?
    nospam, Oct 30, 2013

  2. In article <>, nospam <> wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend a place online for storing family photos etc,
    >preferably free. I've seen someone saying google plus is better than
    >flickr. Can these places be trusted as backup storage for photos -
    >are they going to be around for a long time ?

    Your call really. I wouldn't trust them further than I could spit them,
    certainly if they were to be your only storage (ie you didn' have copies
    elsewhere). Mileages vary however. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 30, 2013

  3. On Wed, 30 Oct 2013 04:22:27 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Can anyone recommend a place online for storing family photos etc,
    >>preferably free. I've seen someone saying google plus is better than
    >>flickr. Can these places be trusted as backup storage for photos -
    >>are they going to be around for a long time ?

    >Your call really. I wouldn't trust them further than I could spit them,
    >certainly if they were to be your only storage (ie you didn' have copies
    >elsewhere). Mileages vary however. :)

    I have 100 year storage Gold DVD's, from memory 3 or more firms make
    thenm, DVD Ram is quoted for 100 Years cartridge version, but I read
    the other day some one was commenting of a Million years DVD or some
    thing like that.

    Just look what happened to Megaupload..
    Frank Williams, Oct 30, 2013
  4. nospam

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs nospam wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a place online for storing family photos etc,
    > preferably free. I've seen someone saying google plus is better than
    > flickr. Can these places be trusted as backup storage for photos -
    > are they going to be around for a long time ?

    Why would you trust a company offering a free service over having a backup
    plan yourself? Are you not reliable?

    IMO these places are only any good for secondary storage - and then only for
    convenience's sake. For instance if you're at a friends place and you want
    to show them a particular pic and you don't have a copy with you - then you
    can log into your account, find the pic and show them.
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface]
    ~misfit~, Oct 30, 2013
  5. In article <>,
    says...

    > Can anyone recommend a place online for storing family photos etc,
    > preferably free. I've seen someone saying google plus is better than
    > flickr. Can these places be trusted as backup storage for photos -
    > are they going to be around for a long time ?

    I have just closed my G+ account because of Google's new privacy policy
    (you have to opt OUT of their just getting stuck in and using your
    material for commercial purposes - I do NOT want to have my photos and
    details plastered over some endorsement or ad). As well, there is a size
    limitation on the photos you can upload to G+, that will effectively
    prevent you from uploading jpg files from a 12Mp camera without editing
    them down to a lower resolution first.

    Yahoo have recently re-opened flickr. 1Tb of free storage {boggles}.
    I do not know how long Yahoo will persist with that this time around, I
    don't set a lot of store by their reliability (see all the hacked email
    account sagas over the last few years) but hey, for now it works.

    Dropbox offers a small free account. I would expect them to be reliable
    and still here for quite some time (unless one of the evil empires buys
    them out and shuts them down; say Google or MS).

    -P.

    ---
    Peter Huebner, Nov 2, 2013
  6. nospam

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    s, Peter Huebner says...

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > Can anyone recommend a place online for storing family photos etc,
    > > preferably free. I've seen someone saying google plus is better than
    > > flickr. Can these places be trusted as backup storage for photos -
    > > are they going to be around for a long time ?

    > I have just closed my G+ account because of Google's new privacy policy
    > (you have to opt OUT of their just getting stuck in and using your

    I don't believe that's true. I've just checked my profile and privacy
    settings, it's OFF (and I haven't changed anything for a year or more).

    So I think it's OFF by default.

    https://plus.google.com/settings/endorsements?hl=en
    (dunno if that link will work).

    > Yahoo have recently re-opened flickr. 1Tb of free storage {boggles}.

    Jeez, sounds good, a terabyte :)

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Nov 2, 2013