Online Photo Sites - Photo Sharing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Larry, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. Larry

    Larry Guest

    I currently use both my own web page and Webshots for sharing photos with
    others. But I'm looking for something better. This is for basic snapshots
    that I was want to share with family, friends and acquaintances.

    My problem with Webshots, and similar sites I've found, is that they are not
    multi-tiered. What I mean is that all of your "Albums" are listed on one
    page. What I want is something multi-tiered so for example my home page for
    the site would list certain categories such as "Family Pictures", "Cruises",
    and so on. Clicking one of these would ideally list both individual albums
    as well as links to another tier, for example under family pictures I might
    have "Son's Wedding" which if selected would present you with another
    selection for "Ceremony", "Reception", etc.

    I've never seen a photo sharing site that has this multi-tiered approach.
    Does anyone know of any?

    Likewise, while I know this can be done on my own site I've never seemed a
    canned package that will easily make such as site without a lot of technical
    expertise and time commitment to design and layout.

    I'm just looking for something I would be able to maintain as easy as a site
    like Webshots, but which would have the multi-tiered organization. Does
    anyone know of something that would help me?

    Larry, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Larry

    simon Guest

    simon, Feb 4, 2006

  3. Larry

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Larry <> wrote:
    > My problem with Webshots, and similar sites I've found, is that they are not
    > multi-tiered. What I mean is that all of your "Albums" are listed on one
    > page. What I want is something multi-tiered so for example my home page for
    > the site would list certain categories such as "Family Pictures", "Cruises",
    > and so on.

    Smugmug (http://www.smugmug.com) has precisely this feature. Not free, but
    I find it very efficient and easy to use, as do people who look at my
    pictures ;)

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas" - HMHB.

    Pete Fenelon, Feb 4, 2006
  4. Larry

    Guest

    Larry wrote:

    > My problem with Webshots, and similar sites I've found, is that they are not
    > multi-tiered. What I mean is that all of your "Albums" are listed on one
    > page. What I want is something multi-tiered so for example my home page for
    > the site would list certain categories such as "Family Pictures", "Cruises",
    > and so on. Clicking one of these would ideally list both individual albums
    > as well as links to another tier, for example under family pictures I might
    > have "Son's Wedding" which if selected would present you with another
    > selection for "Ceremony", "Reception", etc.

    As another user recommends, i also recommend SmugMug.

    I looked at ten or so sites.

    Test four

    I store all my pix at SmugMug.
    They do not change the res. I chose the res I want people to see.
    Set up many photo albums, with many levels of security, Including
    allowable download resolution. and watermarks. YOU retain all
    copyrights; BEWARE of sites where you give them rights to your pix.
    Your visitors do not need to register to see your pix. BEWARE of sites
    needing registration just to view.
    http://www.smugmug.com/?referrer=jyt6FA46W3kDo
    link will save you $5 on Smugmug. When you are ready to share, simply
    send your friends to your personal home page OR INDIVIDUAL gallery.
    Individual galleries password protected if you wish!

    , Feb 5, 2006