online photo hosting - worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MrMan, Mar 22, 2005.

  1. MrMan

    MrMan Guest

    Hi,

    I mean to ask whether these are worth it in
    two ways, really. Worth putting my photos on,
    or worth going to for browsing.

    I went to Flickr for instance and I found a lot
    of trash: for instance, literally a company
    put photos of its electronics-show booth on there
    in order to get exposure. Another set of photos
    was apparently to put another company's music
    device.

    However I went to PBase and found one person's
    set of photos that were so good, I had to stop
    looking at them. They were making me uneasy.
    I mean, was this guy legit, or just faking?
    I wonder how many photos are merely ripped off
    by person A from person B to put on his own site.
    I began thinking of those people who buy fancy
    luxury items in order to intimidate or impress
    other people; later you find out these were
    hopelessly in debt or went bankrupt.

    That leads me to the other issue: is it worth
    putting photos on the web? Photos are naturally
    for viewing, but how many people really look
    in these galleries? It reminds me of mp3.com,
    which everybody and his dog had mp3's making
    all sorts of terrible sounds. Getting listened
    to on mp3.com was all about self-promotion.

    One thing is for sure, I can't imagine paying
    to put my photos on the web. I can do that
    today at my ISP's website for free. I wonder
    how companies make any money off this service.

    MM

    MrMan, Mar 22, 2005

  2. I put my work up when I order prints. I usualy don't bother to take them
    down...so I sort of have a gallery.

    This answers a lot of questions about many sites. They make their money from
    prints.

    http://palmiter.dotphoto.com/CPListAlbums.asp

    Gene Palmiter, Mar 22, 2005

  3. MrMan

    Crownfield Guest

    MrMan wrote:

    > One thing is for sure, I can't imagine paying
    > to put my photos on the web.

    whay would anyone buy a server,
    buy a block of bandwidth,
    put up the software to show pictures,
    and then give it away?

    you expect the PixHost Fairy to help you?

    Crownfield, Mar 22, 2005
  4. MrMan

    Crownfield Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:

    > I put my work up when I order prints. I usualy don't bother to take them
    > down...so I sort of have a gallery.
    >
    > This answers a lot of questions about many sites. They make their money from
    > prints.
    >
    > http://palmiter.dotphoto.com/CPListAlbums.asp

    just for reference,
    when a site askes to place a cookie, I say yes.

    after that, no.

    your site tried to place at least a dozen cookies.
    to me, thats unreasonable.
    after three, I disconnect.

    Crownfield, Mar 22, 2005
  5. MrMan

    bob Guest

    MrMan wrote:

    > That leads me to the other issue: is it worth
    > putting photos on the web? Photos are naturally
    > for viewing, but how many people really look
    > in these galleries?

    I think galleries are most useful for advancing conversation. I only
    look at galleries for two reasons: 1) when people bring them up. i.e.
    here's my picture can you help figure out what's wrong with it?

    2) as reference materials (which could explain some of the uses you
    mentioned). i.e. many people in the RV community use webshots to
    document repairs and modifications to their campers.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 22, 2005
  6. MrMan

    SeaShel Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > I put my work up when I order prints. I usualy don't bother to take
    > them down...so I sort of have a gallery.
    >
    > This answers a lot of questions about many sites. They make their
    > money from prints.
    >

    > http://palmiter.dotphoto.com/CPListAlbums.asp

    Nice site. I grew up in Bethlehem, enjoyed the pics!

    ---
    Michelle
    (SeaShel)

    free the fish to reply

    SeaShel, Mar 22, 2005
  7. "MrMan" <> writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I mean to ask whether these are worth it in
    > two ways, really. Worth putting my photos on,
    > or worth going to for browsing.

    I get very very little traffic to my "serious" photos on the web.

    However, I get quite a bit of traffic to snapshots and family photos,
    when I announce them to people involved with the social groups the
    particular photos are from.

    I'm hosting my photos on my own server, which I run at home on a DSL
    connection, so it doesn't cost me anything extra.

    I do find I go to URLs people post at various photos hosting services
    when they announce photos of an event I was at, or an event I wished I
    was at.

    On <www.photo.net> I see a lot of very good photos, which I'm
    reasonably sure were actually taken by the people who claim to have
    taken them even.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 22, 2005
  8. Thanks....no problem with cookies? I never noticed anything. The only one
    that should be there is to recognize a return viewer. There are no ads that
    I know of. It's hard to tell sometimes as the owner of a site is sometimes
    treated different than a visitor.

    Glad you liked it....but....how did you know where it was. I don't see the
    name of Easton anywhere obvious.

    Gene Palmiter, Mar 23, 2005
  9. MrMan

    SeaShel Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:
    > Thanks....no problem with cookies? I never noticed anything. The only
    > one that should be there is to recognize a return viewer. There are
    > no ads that I know of. It's hard to tell sometimes as the owner of a
    > site is sometimes treated different than a visitor.
    >
    > Glad you liked it....but....how did you know where it was. I don't
    > see the name of Easton anywhere obvious.

    One of the sections says something sbout always something going on in
    Easton, and on your front page there is a section on People of Easton!
    There used to be a guy there who made the best cannolis - Mr. Capari?

    --
    ---
    Michelle

    free the fish to reply

    SeaShel, Mar 23, 2005
  10. MrMan

    MrMan Guest

    I'm already paying my ISP for hosting.
    Why do I need a second one?

    MrMan, Mar 23, 2005
  11. MrMan

    MrMan Guest

    You've confirmed my point, that self-hosting is just as
    useful or effective as these paid services.

    All one has to do is get a domain (costs about $9)
    and have that forwarded to either your ISP homepage
    using domain masking, or to your home box on which
    you have a server running.

    I think these paid services are for the masses of
    "people who don't know".

    MrMan, Mar 23, 2005
  12. MrMan

    bob Guest

    MrMan wrote:
    > I'm already paying my ISP for hosting.
    > Why do I need a second one?

    You've aparently answered your question for yourself already; why ask it
    here?

    Here are some answers you might not have considered, or that might not
    apply to you:

    * You might change ISPs and moving websites can be tedious.

    * You might post something that a lot of people want to see. If you
    posted a hi-res image (of say, Janet Jackson's boob) that tons of people
    wanted to look at, you might not want to pay for the bandwidth.

    * You might not want things to be easily associated with "you." Since
    you post using a pseudonym through an anonymous posting service with an
    anonymous email provider for the return address, you might see the point
    of that.

    Bob

    bob, Mar 23, 2005
  13. MrMan

    paul Guest

    MrMan wrote:

    > You've confirmed my point, that self-hosting is just as
    > useful or effective as these paid services.
    >
    > All one has to do is get a domain (costs about $9)
    > and have that forwarded to either your ISP homepage
    > using domain masking, or to your home box on which
    > you have a server running.
    >
    > I think these paid services are for the masses of
    > "people who don't know".

    Strictly speaking, hosting a server is in violation of the terms of your
    ISP unless you pay more for that though it's unlikely they will notice.
    Also, the upload speeds are usually quite slow compared to the download
    speeds you experience.

    paul, Mar 23, 2005
  14. MrMan

    MrMan Guest

    paul wrote:

    > Strictly speaking, hosting a server is in violation of the terms of

    your
    > ISP unless you pay more for that though it's unlikely they will

    notice.
    > Also, the upload speeds are usually quite slow compared to the

    download
    > speeds you experience.

    Better to use the homepage, then. That's what I do.
    I have a domain with "domain masking" set up which is
    simply a <FRAME> tag tree that passes through to my
    homepage.

    MrMan, Mar 23, 2005
  15. MrMan

    MrMan Guest

    Regarding the last item, you can anonymize content
    by putting it on one of the free ad-based services.
    I can't say I know which is best, but I think 50megs.com
    is decent, so long as visitors have popups disabled.

    MrMan, Mar 23, 2005
  16. MrMan

    Crownfield Guest

    MrMan wrote:

    > I'm already paying my ISP for hosting.
    > Why do I need a second one?

    YOU do not.

    Crownfield, Mar 23, 2005
  17. MrMan

    Crownfield Guest

    MrMan wrote:

    > Regarding the last item, you can anonymize content
    > by putting it on one of the free ad-based services.
    > I can't say I know which is best, but I think 50megs.com
    > is decent, so long as visitors have popups disabled.

    I currently have 160 times that amount.
    no ads, no popup, no junk.

    Crownfield, Mar 23, 2005
  18. MrMan

    Crownfield Guest

    MrMan wrote:

    > You've confirmed my point, that self-hosting is just as
    > useful or effective as these paid services.
    >
    > All one has to do is get a domain (costs about $9)
    > and have that forwarded to either your ISP homepage
    > using domain masking,

    > or to your home box on which you have a server running.

    which many isp's explicitly prohibit.

    Crownfield, Mar 23, 2005
  19. MrMan

    Guest

    I use ClearDev for hosting my blog.
    They automatically set up the blog for you, give you 1GB of space and
    unlimited bandwidth.

    You also get your own domain name and everything else that comes with
    it... email,databases,photo galleries, etc...
    Check it out at:

    prices start at $4.95 - not bad...

    , Apr 6, 2005