    not seem to be able to grasp a simple scenario-type question. Paper
    verification is out because a quick Google search brings up a plethora of
    fake IT credentials for sale.
    Bob Villa, Oct 24, 2008

  2. "Bob Villa" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is there a way for an employer to verify that an applicant has current
    > Microsoft credentials, like online on Microsoft's website?

    Yes, but it requires the active consent of the applicant.

    Have the applicant go to the MCP website and create a "Transcript Sharing
    Code". Then you can view their full Microsoft certification transcripts.

    For example, you can view my transcripts at:
    https://mcp.microsoft.com/authenticate/validatemcp.aspx
    Using the Transcript ID 818900 and the Access Code 'Lawr3nc3Garv1n'

    > Every single applicant claims to be MCSE certified, but when interviewed
    > over the phone, they do not seem to be able to grasp a simple
    > scenario-type question.

    This is not unusual; a number of people have done 'boot camps' or 'crammed'
    or used 'brain dumps' to pass those exams, and will have zero retention two
    weeks later.

    Certs should only be used in the job application process as corroboration
    that person's job skills experience is probably valid. Just as people can
    become "paper certified", they can also claim experience in a job skill that
    really doesn't exist.

    But if somebody says they have five years experience working with Active
    Directory =and= they hold an MCSE credential -- now you've got some likely
    corroboration of actual job skills

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com
    Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\), Oct 24, 2008

  3. Bob Villa

    catwalker63 Guest

    "Lawrence Garvin \(MVP\)" <lawrence@nospam> prattled ceaselessly in

    > But if somebody says they have five years experience working with
    > Active Directory =and= they hold an MCSE credential -- now you've got
    > some likely corroboration of actual job skills

    But if they make that claim and then can't answer simple questions about
    Active Directory, they probably bought the cert on ebay and sat in a
    cubicle next to the guy actually administering the network stapling papers
    together for 5 years.

    --
    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Oct 24, 2008
  4. Bob Villa

    Daft_Togger

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Well, guess you just need to vet people as best you can. If they get stuck on simple concepts, interview process is over and you move onto the next person.

    However don't dismiss those who do not have any MCP's.....the best guy in my team does not have a single IT exam under his belt, but has years of experience and really does know his stuff....would be very obvious under interview too.

    Granted you need to vet CV's....but worth looking at job experience too to narrow down on applicants.
    Daft_Togger, Oct 26, 2008
  5. Of course there is. Ask every prospective employee to log on to thier mcp
    members site and generate a transcript sharing code which they can send to
    you as a link. On clicking that link, you can see their transcript which
    will inlude current certification status and exams passed. Alternatively ask
    for their mcp id and send to microsoft for verification or you can ask an
    existing mcp in your organization to search for the details of this mcp
    using the id on the mcp site.

    We are very concerned about quacks falsely claiming certification status

    Cheers

    Victor Asuquo, Oct 27, 2008
  6. Bob Villa

    PAJ Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:37:32 +0100, "Victor Asuquo"
    <> wrote:

    >Of course there is. Ask every prospective employee to log on to thier mcp
    >members site and generate a transcript sharing code which they can send to
    >you as a link. On clicking that link, you can see their transcript which
    >will inlude current certification status and exams passed.

    Really? Please show me yours.
    PAJ, Oct 27, 2008
  7. Bob Villa

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >Really? Please show me yours.

    his boyfriend won't like that.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3
    Kline Sphere, Oct 27, 2008
  8. Bob Villa

    PAJ Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:01:59 +0000, Kline Sphere <.> wrote:

    >>Really? Please show me yours.

    >his boyfriend won't like that.

    PMSL
    PAJ, Oct 27, 2008