    This Router and this port-adapter supports Online Insertion and Removal!?

    Regards,

    Karsten Fischer

    Fischer Karsten, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Fischer Karsten

    Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Hello,
    >
    > do you have an explanation for a complete router lookup while swapping a
    > STM-1 Port Adapater from one bus to the other:
    >
    > %PA-4-PCIVALID: PCI activation failed, bay 1,0x111A2B04
    >

    > Router is a 7206VXR-NPE400 IOS 12.2.23a IP Plus, PA-POSOC3SMI
    >
    > This Router and this port-adapter supports Online Insertion and Removal!?

    Not sure the exact answer (may be a bug etc) but I find that Cisco gear
    tend not to fair well when doing OIR.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Dec 1, 2004

  3. Fischer Karsten

    Erik Freitag Guest

    On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:51:54 +0100, Fischer Karsten wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > do you have an explanation for a complete router lookup while swapping a
    > STM-1 Port Adapater from one bus to the other:
    >
    > %PA-4-PCIVALID: PCI activation failed, bay 1,0x111A2B04
    >

    > Router is a 7206VXR-NPE400 IOS 12.2.23a IP Plus, PA-POSOC3SMI
    >
    > This Router and this port-adapter supports Online Insertion and Removal!?
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Karsten Fischer

    Probably a silly question, but did you ensure that the bandwidth points on
    the new bus were at or below the maximum allowed after you swapped the PA?
    I'm not sure what happens if you swap a PA with too many bandwidth points
    into a loaded left or right bus.

    Erik Freitag, Dec 1, 2004
  4. Erik Freitag <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:51:54 +0100, Fischer Karsten wrote:

    >> do you have an explanation for a complete router lookup while swapping a
    >> STM-1 Port Adapater from one bus to the other:
    >>
    >> %PA-4-PCIVALID: PCI activation failed, bay 1,0x111A2B04
    >>

    >> Router is a 7206VXR-NPE400 IOS 12.2.23a IP Plus, PA-POSOC3SMI
    >>
    >> This Router and this port-adapter supports Online Insertion and Removal!?

    > Probably a silly question, but did you ensure that the bandwidth points on
    > the new bus were at or below the maximum allowed after you swapped the PA?
    > I'm not sure what happens if you swap a PA with too many bandwidth points
    > into a loaded left or right bus.

    Yes, the bus had enough bandwidth points to handle the port adapter..

    Regards,

    Karsten

    Karsten Fischer, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Fischer Karsten

    AnyBody43 Guest

    Karsten Fischer <>
    > Erik Freitag <> wrote:
    > > On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:51:54 +0100, Fischer Karsten wrote:
    > >> do you have an explanation for a complete router lookup while swapping a
    > >> STM-1 Port Adapater from one bus to the other:
    > >>
    > >> %PA-4-PCIVALID: PCI activation failed, bay 1,0x111A2B04
    > >>

    > >> Router is a 7206VXR-NPE400 IOS 12.2.23a IP Plus, PA-POSOC3SMI
    > >>
    > >> This Router and this port-adapter supports Online Insertion and Removal!?

    > > Probably a silly question, but did you ensure that the bandwidth points on
    > > the new bus were at or below the maximum allowed after you swapped the PA?
    > > I'm not sure what happens if you swap a PA with too many bandwidth points
    > > into a loaded left or right bus.

    > Yes, the bus had enough bandwidth points to handle the port adapter..
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Karsten

    The "bandwidth points" are not going to be the issue.

    This is merely to ensure that when fully loaded with traffic
    there is enough capacity on the PCI busses for the traffic.

    I have never been comfortable with the use or OIR in production. I have
    had the opportunity in the past of doing some lab work and have found
    problems with OIR on some platforms.

    As to the original problem, check for bugs. Upgrade. There are
    no other options. OH, maybe you could shut the interfaces before
    pulling the card. That would presumably change the code that
    was being run and may circumvent the bug. You might then run
    into a different bug:)

    AnyBody43, Dec 3, 2004
  6. Fischer Karsten

    Peter Guest

    Hansang Bae wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>do you have an explanation for a complete router lookup while swapping a
    >>STM-1 Port Adapater from one bus to the other:
    >>
    >>%PA-4-PCIVALID: PCI activation failed, bay 1,0x111A2B04
    >>

    >>Router is a 7206VXR-NPE400 IOS 12.2.23a IP Plus, PA-POSOC3SMI
    >>
    >>This Router and this port-adapter supports Online Insertion and Removal!?

    > Not sure the exact answer (may be a bug etc) but I find that Cisco gear
    > tend not to fair well when doing OIR.

    It doesn't seem to be related to this problem at it only happens on
    one side of the same box, but I have vague memories about a 7206 once
    objecting to a new card insertion because the BOOTROM code was at a
    too low level (not the IOS). I seem to remember that the 7200's use
    some Bootrom routines for OIR H/W detection.

    Cheers...............pk.

    --
    *** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***

    Peter, Dec 3, 2004
  7. Peter wrote:
    > Hansang Bae wrote:
    >>> do you have an explanation for a complete router lookup while
    >>> swapping a STM-1 Port Adapater from one bus to the other:
    >>>
    >>> %PA-4-PCIVALID: PCI activation failed, bay 1,0x111A2B04

    > It doesn't seem to be related to this problem at it only happens on one
    > side of the same box, but I have vague memories about a 7206 once
    > objecting to a new card insertion because the BOOTROM code was at a too
    > low level (not the IOS). I seem to remember that the 7200's use some
    > Bootrom routines for OIR H/W detection.

    Hmm, after the reload the port adapter just works fine, so it should be
    recognized correctly by the bootrom code !?

    Regards,

    Karsten

    P.S. bootrom is:

    ----

    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.1(20000710:044039) [nlaw-121E_npeb
    117], DEVELOPMENT SOFTWARE

    Karsten Fischer, Dec 3, 2004