Online DVD Rentals - Lost DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by bleh bleh bleh, Sep 27, 2003.

  1. After having tried a couple different online dvd rental sites and
    reading complaints from other people that have used them concerning
    lost dvds in the mail, its clear to me that a world of frustration can
    exist for both reputable rental companies and honest renters who pay
    for the practices of the disreputable companies and dishonest renters
    who can blame the USPS for "lost DVDs".

    What strikes me most is that none of the larger companies I have seen
    online offer or require certfied delivery or delivery confirmation.
    It just seems to me like common sense and that it would go a long way
    to clear up a lot of the "He said, she said" bickering that results in
    penalizing only the people and companies that are honest.

    If I am a dishonest renter and see a DVD I want to buy, I can always
    rent it first and claim it was lost in the mail... what's the worst
    thing that can happen to me? They charge me the cost of the DVD.

    But if Im honest, and it really was lost in the mail, I pay for a DVD
    I never received or got to keep.

    On the other hand if Im a dishonest renting company and I want to sell
    DVD's without actually sending them, I can tell the renter, "Oh, it
    must have gotten lost in the mail. Here are some forms you can fill
    out and send to the USPS to complain. By the way, we are charging
    your credit card for the full cost of the DVD".

    But if i am an honest company and it really was lost in the mail I
    lose what I paid for the DVD and whatever revenues I may have earned
    on future rentals.

    If you are considering using an online company for any extended length
    of time, you need to know that you *will* lose dvds either to or from
    the rental company. The risk of dealing with a flaky company and the
    possibility that the post office will misplace your package should
    make you ask yourself if it really is worth it.
    bleh bleh bleh, Sep 27, 2003

  2. bleh bleh bleh

    Impmon Guest

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 21:42:39 GMT, bleh bleh bleh <> typed:

    >But if Im honest, and it really was lost in the mail, I pay for a DVD
    >I never received or got to keep.

    Well, you could always challenge the charge on your credit card since
    the company can't prove anything other than it was reported lost. In a
    sense, the company is probably responsible for any lost DVD because they
    aren't using a more secure form of mailing like certified or trackable
    mail. The worst that can happen is the company axes your account and
    refer the loss to a collection angency.

    I know certified and tracking cost more but it'd help company separate
    honest renter from dishonest ones.
    --
    space for rent.
    To reply, change digi.mon to tds.net
    Impmon, Sep 28, 2003

  3. bleh bleh bleh

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, Sep 28, 2003
  4. bleh bleh bleh

    Jay G Guest

    "Impmon" <> wrote

    > I know certified and tracking cost more but it'd help company separate
    > honest renter from dishonest ones.

    It'd help, but most likely, for online rental services:

    Cost of lost DVDs < Cost of shipping everything certified w/ tracking.

    -Jay
    Jay G, Sep 28, 2003
  5. bleh bleh bleh

    Skid Guest

    I actually have had a reasonably good experience with NetFlix in recent
    years. A few months after I signed up, the Christmas mail rush and a new
    carrier caused several discs to go astray.

    Each time I reported one missing, I got a quick replacement with no hassles
    or questions.

    I didn't think much of it at the time, but over the next few months a couple
    more were lost in the mail. When the total lost in a year reached six, I got
    an e-mail telling me my account was suspended.

    I followed the instructions and called. A very polite rep listened to my
    explanation, that the new carrier occasionally took the neighbors' mail to
    my house and vice-versa and people weren't always honest or considerate
    enough to correct the mistake.

    The account was reinstated, and I complained to the Postal Service. After
    that, things got better.

    Netflix wiped the slate clean after a year. I now have two fresh missing
    discs on my account, and both times replacements were sent with no muss or
    fuss.

    As someone else suggested, the cost of sending all discs registered mail is
    almost certainly higher than replacing the lost discs -- not to mention the
    hassle of not getting discs delivered because there's no one home to sign
    for them.

    It's not a perfect system, but it seems to work by discouraging thieves and
    cutting honest customers some slack.

    Skid, Sep 28, 2003
  6. bleh bleh bleh, Sep 28, 2003
  7. bleh bleh bleh

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Skid" <> wrote in

    > As someone else suggested, the cost of sending all discs registered
    > mail is almost certainly higher than replacing the lost discs -- not
    > to mention the hassle of not getting discs delivered because there's
    > no one home to sign for them.

    How about delivery confirmation at the least? Isn't DC only a couple cents
    more?

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Sep 29, 2003
  8. bleh bleh bleh

    Moviezzz Guest

    >How about delivery confirmation at the least? Isn't DC only a couple cents
    >more?

    It would double the price of each mailing. Doesn't make business sense for
    what isn't a major issue.

    Lost discs aren't that much of a problem. I had three lost last year (that
    were most likely never sent to me). I reported them lost, replacements were
    sent. And, after a year, they were off my record.

    Since then, I have had an occassional lost disc, I reported them, but they
    always turned up either in the mail, or they received them a few days late.
    But, they have always been removed.
    Moviezzz, Sep 29, 2003
  9. bleh bleh bleh

    Floodie Guest

    bleh bleh bleh

    > If you are considering using an online company for any extended length
    > of time, you need to know that you *will* lose dvds either to or from
    > the rental company. The risk of dealing with a flaky company and the
    > possibility that the post office will misplace your package should
    > make you ask yourself if it really is worth it.

    Speaking only for myself, I have rented from Netflix for almost
    two years now. I have rented *conservatively* 300 titles and only one
    has been lost in the mail (a fail rate of 0.33%- not too shabby).
    Netflix did not charge me for it. In their email about the situation
    they informed me that "if an unusual amount of loss occurs" they will
    suspend my account and charge for lost discs.
    I'll tell you this much, I was tempted to keep Slaughterhouse
    Five (which sells for like a hundred bucks on eBay) 'cause it's so
    hard to find, but I decided to send it back.
    Anyway that's my $.02
    Floodie, Oct 1, 2003