    think.. or if there is anything that I can add that the DVD community
    would like to see.

    Thanks in advance!
    dustinr, Jul 22, 2005

  2. dustinr

    Galley Guest

    On 22 Jul 2005 14:02:29 -0700, "dustinr" <> spewed forth these
    words of wisdom:

    >Hey guys,
    >
    >I'm looking for some feedback on a project that I have been working on.
    >I had seen some software out there that lets you use a CueCat or
    >barcode reader to scan the UPC codes on your DVDs into a database, it
    >then goes out and collects information from IMDB and other sources and
    >would generate some HTML for you to put on your personal website or
    >something. I'm trying to make a web application that does something
    >similar. So far it seems to do what I want, but I have not tried to
    >break it yet or found very many people to test it.
    >
    >Check it out at: http://publiccollection.com and let me know what you
    >think.. or if there is anything that I can add that the DVD community
    >would like to see.
    >
    >Thanks in advance!

    That's already been done by http://www.dvdloc8.com/
    And is one of the many features that DVD Profiler offers.
    http://www.intervocative.com/dvdpro/Info.aspx

    My collection: http://www.intervocative.com/DVDCollection.aspx/GALLEY

    Galley
    Galley, Jul 23, 2005

  3. dustinr

    Joceanne Guest

    Joceanne, Jul 24, 2005
  4. dustinr

    dustinr Guest

    Galley,

    Thanks for your reply. I am aware of DVD Profiler, that is one of the
    applications that I wanted publiccollection.com to be similar to. DVD
    Profiler is a commercial windows-only application though,
    publiccollection.com will be free and should work with any OS as long
    as they have a web browser that supports javascript.

    I was not aware of dvdloc8.com, I will have to check it out. The type
    of feedback I was looking for from the dvd collector community was more
    concerning features, what sort of things can I add that will be useful
    and make publiccollection.com stand out among similar sites? At first
    glance it doesn't look like the existing dvd collection sites will let
    you use a cuecat for scanning in barcodes, this was one feature that I
    thought collectors would find very useful, as cuecats were barcode
    readers given away for free a few years ago.

    So if anyone else has a suggestion for me, I'm all ears!
    dustinr, Jul 25, 2005
  5. dustinr

    Greg Guest

    I'm assuming that it's limited to US discs?

    I was unable to get it to recognise the codes on any of my DVDs from
    here in Australia.

    Greg

    Greg, Jul 25, 2005
  6. dustinr

    dustinr Guest

    Greg,

    You are correct, publiccollection.com uses Amazon's REST API to
    retrieve movie data based on UPC, unfortunately it looks like the
    ItemLookup function only allows UPC lookups for US items. I will have
    to look into how I can get this to work for non-US users. Thanks for
    your reply!
    dustinr, Jul 26, 2005