online albums/printing services

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bluenose, Jul 10, 2004.

  1. Bluenose

    Bluenose Guest

    Last weekend, I shot a hundred or so high res shots of my son's wedding.
    Many of the relatives would like to see them and order prints.

    I am familiar with Ofoto and Shutterfly, but am looking for a service that
    will allow me enough storage space needed for these, also that will allow
    viewing, downloading of full size files and a print service.

    Checking the websites of the two above referenced commercial sites, I see no
    information about maximum album size.

    Anyone know? Or recommendations for other solutions?

    I have also looked at PBase or using my domain name and purchasing web
    hosting services, but that would mean users would have to download files
    and take or send them to a photo printing shop. Most of the users are non
    tech types, so we want to keep the steps to a minimum and the process
    simple.

    Cheers,

    Bruce
    Bluenose, Jul 10, 2004

  2. Bluenose

    Jimmy G Guest

    I've had well over 200 images of about 1mb or more on Shutterfly, & have
    never received any notification of reaching any limit.

    Recently, I purchased a D70 & u/l at least 50 or more images at full, 6mp
    jpeg resolution in addition to my existing albums. Still no problem.

    Try uploading what you have, & then see if you're stopped. THEN, let me
    know ;-)
    Jimmy G, Jul 10, 2004

  3. Bluenose

    Brad Guest

    In article <kmTHc.43116$>,
    said...
    > Last weekend, I shot a hundred or so high res shots of my son's wedding.
    > Many of the relatives would like to see them and order prints.
    >
    > I am familiar with Ofoto and Shutterfly, but am looking for a service that
    > will allow me enough storage space needed for these, also that will allow
    > viewing, downloading of full size files and a print service.
    >
    > Checking the websites of the two above referenced commercial sites, I see no
    > information about maximum album size.

    I don't think either of them have a limitation, but they probably will
    someday. Datacenter storage ain't cheap, but if your guests are buying
    prints they'll look the other way on the storage.

    I'd also recommend dotPhoto which will do what you want and has no
    limitation on storage (currently). Ofoto used to require your guests to
    register as users just to visit your albums. I think they still do this,
    but I'm not sure. That was the reason I never used them.
    Brad, Jul 12, 2004