    utility using the dos prompts in windows?

    Any last suggestions before I go nuts?

    Treb the nag..................
    Treb, Nov 23, 2003

  2. Treb

    Patrick Guest

    Treb wrote:
    > Hey Gang,
    >
    > I have tried all of the suggestions presented to date.
    >
    > Tried the Bios flash, tried the CMOS Killer utility and tried the
    > cursor trick to try and get around the password in the Bios Password
    > window.
    >
    > Some have said it is not possible.
    >
    > Is it possible to trick my boot sequence and run the CMOS Utility. I
    > just can't get it to boot from the floppy. Is there another way to
    > run the CMOS utility using the dos prompts in windows?
    >
    > Any last suggestions before I go nuts?
    >
    > Treb the nag..................

    As far as I gather, the Utility KILLCMOS *can* be run from a Windows
    enviroment, it will appear to have done nothing until you reboot when you
    will get a BIOS checksum error (please read the file that was with the
    utility in 'Wordpad').

    Also it may be possible to force the machine to boot from floppy-drive by
    holding down the 'F' key ('C' for CD).

    I don't actually think that the utility is going to work, though I read
    somewhere that it can be used in conjunction with some other procedure.
    Most of what I read indicated that the only way to do the thing is to
    replace the chip, however said allways came from sources selling
    service/chips.

    I entered the string, something like "Sony Laptop BIOS Password" in to
    Google-search-engine.
    Patrick, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Treb

    Patrick Guest

    Treb wrote:
    > Hey Gang,
    >
    > I have tried all of the suggestions presented to date.
    >
    > Tried the Bios flash, tried the CMOS Killer utility and tried the
    > cursor trick to try and get around the password in the Bios Password
    > window.
    >
    > Some have said it is not possible.
    >
    > Is it possible to trick my boot sequence and run the CMOS Utility. I
    > just can't get it to boot from the floppy. Is there another way to
    > run the CMOS utility using the dos prompts in windows?
    >
    > Any last suggestions before I go nuts?
    >
    > Treb the nag..................

    In case that you haven't got the manuel, it can be got here, needs pop-ups
    enabled (press Ctrl when clicking file).
    http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/default.asp?src=sonysupport
    Patrick, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Treb

    Treb Guest

    "Patrick" <> wrote in message
    > Treb wrote:
    > > Hey Gang,
    > >
    > > I have tried all of the suggestions presented to date.
    > >
    > > Tried the Bios flash, tried the CMOS Killer utility and tried the
    > > cursor trick to try and get around the password in the Bios Password
    > > window.
    > >
    > > Some have said it is not possible.
    > >
    > > Is it possible to trick my boot sequence and run the CMOS Utility. I
    > > just can't get it to boot from the floppy. Is there another way to
    > > run the CMOS utility using the dos prompts in windows?
    > >
    > > Any last suggestions before I go nuts?
    > >
    > > Treb the nag..................

    > In case that you haven't got the manuel, it can be got here, needs pop-ups
    > enabled (press Ctrl when clicking file).
    > http://www.iq.sony.com/srvs/sosdocs/default.asp?src=sonysupport

    I never got a chance to try the CMOS Killer again, although it may have
    already killed me.

    My laptop is now stuck in Safe Mode and has no good configuration to fall
    back on.

    I have restarted and been prompted to start windows normally, but it won't
    boot properly.

    I get a white square screen flash up with black dots just for a quick
    millisecond. It is not happy. Neither am I.

    Bummed.....

    Any ideas?.

    Treb
    Treb, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Treb

    Scrote Guest

    "Few of life's problems cannot be cured by the application of High
    Explosive" ;-)

    Scrote, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Treb

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Treb posted ...

    > Hey Gang,
    >
    > I have tried all of the suggestions presented to date.
    >
    > Tried the Bios flash, tried the CMOS Killer utility and tried the
    > cursor trick to try and get around the password in the Bios Password
    > window.
    >
    > Some have said it is not possible.
    >
    > Is it possible to trick my boot sequence and run the CMOS Utility. I
    > just can't get it to boot from the floppy. Is there another way to
    > run the CMOS utility using the dos prompts in windows?
    >
    > Any last suggestions before I go nuts?
    >
    > Treb the nag..................

    http://tinyurl.com/wbif

    Might help .. I quote ...
    "Author Company:
    Password Crackers, Inc.

    Description :

    SONY PCG-FX2xx series Vaio Security Chip w/PRS - The SONY PCG-FX2xx series
    Vaio Security Chip (except PCG-FX210 and PCG-FX215) w/Password Recovery
    Service allows for resetting of SONY PCG-FX2xx series Vaio BIOS passwords
    (except PCG-FX210 and PCG-FX215.) The package includes instructions. This
    package includes the replacement chip and the password recovery service to
    recover the password from the existing chip that may be necessary to unlock
    the hard disk. Old chips must be returned to Password Crackers, Inc. for
    password recovery service. This product and service is not manufactured or
    authorized by SONY. "

    --
    Digweed
    .... ;)