    using a wireless router and a PC pluged into that, then my wireless laptop
    comunicates that way., but I just want to use a laptop and some kind of
    router just pluged thru the modem. is there a way?
    =?Utf-8?B?cHJpbWI=?=, Mar 10, 2005

  2. "primb" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    | is it possible to have only a wireless laptop in a home network. I want
    | be able to move around w/the laptop(which is wireless)and not have to use
    it
    | non wireless to be
    | on the web connected directly to DSL modem . I know how to set up home
    | networking
    | using a wireless router and a PC pluged into that, then my wireless laptop
    | comunicates that way., but I just want to use a laptop and some kind of
    | router just pluged thru the modem. is there a way?

    The setup is the same. (or perhaps I'm missing something about your current
    setup)

    A wireless router does not require that any "wired" devices be plugged into
    it. It is recommended that you "wire in" to the router when making
    configuration changes to the router itself.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
    HillBillyBuddhist, Mar 10, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?cHJpbWJjYWRtYW4=?=, Mar 10, 2005

    ------------Answers inline-------------
    |do you mean that if I get a router and plug in the DSL modem my laptop will
    respond?

    If the laptop has a wireless device installed and is properly configured and
    the router is wireless and of matching protocols to the device in the
    laptop, yes.

    |What do you mean about configuring pluged in?

    Most home networking routers are configured using your Web browser by
    entering the URL for the router. While it can be done wirelessly it is not
    recommended. The computer being used to configure the router should be
    connected to the router with a network cable.

    The wireless section @ www.ezlan.net should prove helpful with
    configuration.

    Remove shoes to E-mail.
    HillBillyBuddhist, Mar 10, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?cHJpbWJjYWRtYW4=?=, Mar 10, 2005