ONE website wont load on a PC!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Slappy Slap, Aug 3, 2006.

  1. Slappy Slap

    Slappy Slap Guest

    Hi there.

    We can't get one website to load on a computer. It says page can not be
    displayed, in both IE and recently installed to test Firefox. The page
    is being run by a server in our facility, which every other computer
    (in the facility and outside around the globe) can access perfectly,
    it's just this one computer that can not load it. We thought it was a
    problem with the internet jack or IP causing problems being on the same
    network, but when another computer was plugged in to the jack and all
    the same IPs and settings specified, it loaded up fine.

    It seems to be a problem with the one computer, but what? The computer
    can load every other website. No computer can ping or fully traceroute
    the ip (we access via http://ip) of the server due to the firewall on
    the router it is behind, but despite this every other pc in the world
    can access the server without a problem, so those aren't useful
    troubleshooting ideas for this case.

    Any ideas what might be causing this one computer not to be able to
    load this one website? Thought for sure installing firefox would get it
    working but did not. Tried to clear the cache and history with no luck.
    Nothing was ever added to the HOSTS file. Any thoughs on this, short of
    reinstalling the OS and everything?

    It's very odd that its just this one computer which has never had a
    problem that can not access the page.

    thanks!
    Slappy Slap, Aug 3, 2006

  2. Slappy Slap wrote:

    > Hi there.

    Good morning, Slappy.

    > We can't get one website to load on a computer. It says page can not
    > be displayed, in both IE and recently installed to test Firefox.

    Now that you have Firefox, why not use it as your primary browser? (Same
    for all the stations on your network.)

    > The page is being run by a server in our facility, which every other
    > computer (in the facility and outside around the globe) can access
    > perfectly, it's just this one computer that can not load it.

    Since it is not a WEB page, it is hard to make an accurate assessment.

    > We thought it was a problem with the internet jack or IP causing
    > problems being on the same network, but when another computer was
    > plugged in to the jack and all the same IPs and settings specified,
    > it loaded up fine.

    So the problem is obviously on this one PC. What is different about it?

    > It seems to be a problem with the one computer, but what? The
    > computer can load every other website. ...

    [boots crystal ball]

    This one page uses Java and this one PC does not have it installed.

    This one page ... oh heck, could be lots of stuff. Without being able to
    see the page itself, this is difficult.

    > Any ideas what might be causing this one computer not to be able to
    > load this one website? Thought for sure installing firefox would get
    > it working but did not. Tried to clear the cache and history with no
    > luck. Nothing was ever added to the HOSTS file. Any thoughs on this,
    > short of reinstalling the OS and everything?

    Reinstalling the OS would certainly be in the overkill category. Blunt
    force trauma to the max.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 3, 2006

  3. Slappy Slap

    richard Guest

    "Slappy Slap" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there.
    >
    > We can't get one website to load on a computer. It says page can not be
    > displayed, in both IE and recently installed to test Firefox. The page
    > is being run by a server in our facility, which every other computer
    > (in the facility and outside around the globe) can access perfectly,
    > it's just this one computer that can not load it. We thought it was a
    > problem with the internet jack or IP causing problems being on the same
    > network, but when another computer was plugged in to the jack and all
    > the same IPs and settings specified, it loaded up fine.
    >
    > It seems to be a problem with the one computer, but what? The computer
    > can load every other website. No computer can ping or fully traceroute
    > the ip (we access via http://ip) of the server due to the firewall on
    > the router it is behind, but despite this every other pc in the world
    > can access the server without a problem, so those aren't useful
    > troubleshooting ideas for this case.
    >
    > Any ideas what might be causing this one computer not to be able to
    > load this one website? Thought for sure installing firefox would get it
    > working but did not. Tried to clear the cache and history with no luck.
    > Nothing was ever added to the HOSTS file. Any thoughs on this, short of
    > reinstalling the OS and everything?
    >
    > It's very odd that its just this one computer which has never had a
    > problem that can not access the page.
    >
    > thanks!

    Take a PC that can access the site, then compare how the two are setup.
    Probably something really stupid and simple like a checkbox not checked.
    How about checking for animations being turned on? Javascript turned on?
    richard, Aug 3, 2006