    too?

    I've been through the web pages of some recommnedations from other posting
    in this newsgroup - and not found a solution that works.
    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZWsxMw==?=, Apr 17, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZWsxMw==?=

    Damase Guest

    This may or may not be feasible or good, but it worked for me. Try
    setting your wireless NIC to a static address, use the router ip for dns
    and gateway; and make sure the subnet mask is the same throughout.
    Remember the router needs static ip addressing to be enabled, which you
    will need the MAC of the wireless NIC to set set this up. (My d-link
    will get and clone this but I don't know that all routers do this).

    HTH
    Damase

    Damase, Apr 19, 2005

  3. Had a go at following this advice... but still no change.

    Thanks anyway

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZWsxMw==?=, Apr 23, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZWsxMw==?=

    Michael Guest

    "Mikek13" <> wrote in message
    >> > All desktop PCs can see laptop and share files on it - either docked or
    >> > wireless. But when running wireless, although everythign works fine
    >> > from the
    >> > networked PCs, from the laptop I can see zip and can't even ping the
    >> > router.
    >> > The wireless NIC has been given an DHCP OK. It can ping itself - but
    >> > not the
    >> > network. Plug it back in and it can ping - but presumably through the
    >> > wired
    >> > NIC. I've taken firewall (Norton 2004) off completely and there is no
    >> > difference. Tried two different wireless PCMIA NIC cards. Same
    >> > symtopms.
    >> >
    >> > I suspect there's something horribly wrong in the TCP/IP system on the
    >> > W98
    >> > laptop... but if this was the case why doesn't it affect the wired
    >> > interface
    >> > too?

    Try this using wireless: open a command line on the laptop and type
    \\name of one of the other PCs\name of a shared folder, of course using the
    actual name of a PC and its folder. If that doesn't work try again using
    the PCs IP address rather than its name. If the laptop tcp/ip is
    functioning this should at least let you access files on the other machines.
    At least you'll have some more info on the problem.

    mike
    Michael, Apr 23, 2005
  5. Dear Mike - thanks for this - but I have done this ad nauseam. As I tried to
    explain, this works 100% fine when connected to wired LAN with or without
    wireless enabled. Take the wire lan away, and I can ping the laptop from
    the network fine (ie ping the wirelesss NIC), but I can't ping any of the
    network (IP or name - but I believe IP is more fundamental).

    Not only can I ping the wireless NIC, I can share files both directions from
    the network PCs, but I can't see a damn thing from the laptop. And since it
    won't resolve the network IPs, I can't browse the net either from it.

    It seems really odd to me that the LAN NIC works fine, the wireless NIC is
    obviously working, but W98 on the lap top won't drive it properly....

    Very frustrating!!

    Regards

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZWsxMw==?=, Apr 23, 2005