    --
    Chris Green
    , Jan 22, 2011

  2. Peter Watson Guest

    On 22/01/2011 17:41, wrote:
    > I'm trying to set up a VOIP connection (surprise!) with a Siemens
    > 685IP and a small 3G router from Solwise. It almost works, I have the
    > phone registered with Sipgate and can receive calls, i.e. the phone
    > rings.
    >

    > *BUT* I have the classic "one way audio" problem. The caller can hear
    > me but I can't hear the caller.
    >
    > I have a very similar system (with a C475IP) working OK at home,
    > similar setup via a NAT router and I didn't do anything special on the
    > router (port forwarding etc.) to get it to work.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what might be wrong and/or ways to get it to work?

    What ISP is the router connecting to? Some 3G providers block SIP I
    believe as this would cut into their call revenue presumaly...
    Peter Watson, Jan 22, 2011

  3. Guest

    Peter Watson <> wrote:
    > On 22/01/2011 17:41, wrote:
    > > I'm trying to set up a VOIP connection (surprise!) with a Siemens
    > > 685IP and a small 3G router from Solwise. It almost works, I have the
    > > phone registered with Sipgate and can receive calls, i.e. the phone
    > > rings.
    > >

    > > *BUT* I have the classic "one way audio" problem. The caller can hear
    > > me but I can't hear the caller.
    > >
    > > I have a very similar system (with a C475IP) working OK at home,
    > > similar setup via a NAT router and I didn't do anything special on the
    > > router (port forwarding etc.) to get it to work.
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest what might be wrong and/or ways to get it to work?
    > >

    > What ISP is the router connecting to? Some 3G providers block SIP I
    > believe as this would cut into their call revenue presumaly...

    It's Mobistar in Belgium. However since everything works except audio
    in one direction it seems to me that they haven't blocked VOIP have
    they?

    --
    Chris Green
    , Jan 22, 2011
  4. Ria Elaine Guest

    On 22/01/11 18:05, wrote:
    > Peter Watson<> wrote:
    >> On 22/01/2011 17:41, wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to set up a VOIP connection (surprise!) with a Siemens
    >>> 685IP and a small 3G router from Solwise. It almost works, I have the
    >>> phone registered with Sipgate and can receive calls, i.e. the phone
    >>> rings.
    >>>

    >>> *BUT* I have the classic "one way audio" problem. The caller can hear
    >>> me but I can't hear the caller.
    >>>
    >>> I have a very similar system (with a C475IP) working OK at home,
    >>> similar setup via a NAT router and I didn't do anything special on the
    >>> router (port forwarding etc.) to get it to work.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone suggest what might be wrong and/or ways to get it to work?
    >>>

    >> What ISP is the router connecting to? Some 3G providers block SIP I
    >> believe as this would cut into their call revenue presumaly...

    > It's Mobistar in Belgium. However since everything works except audio
    > in one direction it seems to me that they haven't blocked VOIP have
    > they?

    One way audio is usually a port forwarding problem. Make sure all
    necessary ports are open to the phone/adaptor from the router.

    Or put the IP address of it in the router's DMZ if it has one.

    --
    Much love,
    Ria xx
    Ria Elaine, Jan 22, 2011
  5. Guest

    Ria Elaine <> wrote:
    > On 22/01/11 18:05, wrote:
    > > Peter Watson<> wrote:

    > >> What ISP is the router connecting to? Some 3G providers block SIP I
    > >> believe as this would cut into their call revenue presumaly...

    > > It's Mobistar in Belgium. However since everything works except audio
    > > in one direction it seems to me that they haven't blocked VOIP have
    > > they?
    > >

    > One way audio is usually a port forwarding problem. Make sure all
    > necessary ports are open to the phone/adaptor from the router.
    >
    > Or put the IP address of it in the router's DMZ if it has one.

    From what I have read it suggests that one shouldn't have to do
    anything if STUN and proxies are working as intended. Certainly my
    other installation (C475IP) works fine without any port forwarding
    being set up.

    More to the point this new 685IP installation has now worked once, I
    didn't change anything and, for some reason, it worked for one call.
    Now it's gone completely silent again.

    How can something like this work *sometimes*????

    --
    Chris Green
    , Jan 22, 2011
  6. alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings,
    chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > I'm trying to set up a VOIP connection (surprise!) with a Siemens
    > 685IP and a small 3G router from Solwise.

    > *BUT* I have the classic "one way audio" problem. The caller can hear
    > me but I can't hear the caller.

    My guess is it's NAT on the 3G provider's side. Do you get a public IP on
    the WAN of the 3G router?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    16:28:44 up 6 days, 23:14, 8 users, load average: 0.00, 0.20, 0.53
    alexd, Jan 23, 2011
  7. Guest

    alexd <> wrote:
    > Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings,
    > chose the tried and tested strategy of:
    >
    > > I'm trying to set up a VOIP connection (surprise!) with a Siemens
    > > 685IP and a small 3G router from Solwise.

    > > *BUT* I have the classic "one way audio" problem. The caller can hear
    > > me but I can't hear the caller.

    > My guess is it's NAT on the 3G provider's side. Do you get a public IP on
    > the WAN of the 3G router?

    No, it's a private address (172.x.x.x).

    However, having been playing with this for a while, it *sometimes*
    works. Like I managed to get the test number to talk to me a couple
    of times, but most of the time it's silent.

    I've found that connection using gigaset.net work reliably though
    which is a reasonable approach for the moment though it would be
    really nice to get 'proper' VOIP working.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Jan 24, 2011
  8. alexd Guest

    Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings,
    chose the tried and tested strategy of:

    > However, having been playing with this for a while, it *sometimes*
    > works. Like I managed to get the test number to talk to me a couple
    > of times, but most of the time it's silent.
    >
    > I've found that connection using gigaset.net work reliably though
    > which is a reasonable approach for the moment though it would be
    > really nice to get 'proper' VOIP working.

    Interesting. Perhaps the gigaset.net connection is configured to use a STUN
    server and that's not included in your [presumably, somewhat more manually
    configured] other line?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:53:36 up 8 days, 3:39, 8 users, load average: 0.10, 0.08, 0.32
    alexd, Jan 24, 2011
  9. Guest

    alexd <> wrote:
    > Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.voip Job Justification Hearings,
    > chose the tried and tested strategy of:
    >

    > > However, having been playing with this for a while, it *sometimes*
    > > works. Like I managed to get the test number to talk to me a couple
    > > of times, but most of the time it's silent.
    > >
    > > I've found that connection using gigaset.net work reliably though
    > > which is a reasonable approach for the moment though it would be
    > > really nice to get 'proper' VOIP working.

    > Interesting. Perhaps the gigaset.net connection is configured to use a STUN
    > server and that's not included in your [presumably, somewhat more manually
    > configured] other line?

    Yes, there is a STUN server configured in my VOIP setup. I'm using
    Sipgate and have configured things as shown in their (pretty detailed)
    setup guide for the Siemens S685IP.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Jan 25, 2011
  10. M.L. Guest

    >I'm trying to set up a VOIP connection (surprise!) with a Siemens
    >685IP and a small 3G router from Solwise. It almost works, I have the
    >phone registered with Sipgate and can receive calls, i.e. the phone
    >rings.
    >

    >*BUT* I have the classic "one way audio" problem. The caller can hear
    >me but I can't hear the caller.
    >
    >I have a very similar system (with a C475IP) working OK at home,
    >similar setup via a NAT router and I didn't do anything special on the
    >router (port forwarding etc.) to get it to work.
    >
    >Can anyone suggest what might be wrong and/or ways to get it to work?

    I've researched the "caller can hear me but I can't hear the caller"
    problem intensively and still haven't found a solution. Usually the
    problem is due to NAT traversal or codec issues. My problem is
    occurring with WiFi VOIP on my LG Incite smartphone.

    STUN settings make no difference, and neither does the softphone
    software, apparently. I have no problems with SIP VOIP on my PC using
    the same WiFi network.
    M.L., May 3, 2011