one-way ARP between cisco and Watchguard

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Harv, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Harv

    Harv Guest

    I have a 4503 with ethernet trunk to a cluster of Dell switches, with
    access port to a Watchguard firewall in "drop-in" (bridged) mode:

    C4503===Dell5324===Dell5234--x--Watchguard--server

    == 802.1q trunk
    -- untagged

    The 4503 has an "interface Vlan" for Layer-3 access to the Watchguard's
    Vlan. The Watchguard is not learning the MAC address of the Cisco, but
    the Cisco is learning the MAC of the Watchguard.

    I placed a sniffer where the "x" is above, and saw the Watchguard
    arp'ing for the Cisco every 60 seconds; and saw the Cisco's replies.
    But the arp table on the Watchguard showed the Cisco's address as MAC
    00-00-00-00-00-00, which I assume means "incomplete". I also saw pings
    (unicast) from the Cisco MAC to the Watchguard MAC, but no replies from
    the Watchguard (of course... no arp entries = no replies).

    If the Watchguard is replaced with another device (e.g. laptop), then
    there are no problems. I've tried converting the Watchguard to routed
    mode, but the problem persists.

    I'm installing three Watchguards to this Cisco router/switch, and all
    three exhibited this. One of them (in routed mode) started behaving
    finally after I pulled everything apart and put it back together.

    Harv
    Harv, Apr 25, 2006