one small Outlook Express problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jan Ras, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. Jan Ras

    Jan Ras Guest

    HP Pavilion dinosaur 7860
    512 Mb
    80gb hd
    M$ Windows Millennium Edition
    Outlook express 6 (6.00.2800.1106).

    I have lost a registry entry (I think) that handles the configuration of
    outlook express as the standard email program used by Internet Explorer.

    If I click on an email address within IE ( on a web page) nothing happens,
    no email form from OE. Appears, it used to, once upon a time.

    Looking at tools- Internet options- programs ( I have a Dutch version of ME)
    only produces an empty drop-down list where once the selection of programs
    appeared( hotmail.com, Outlook Express etc.)

    I have tried downloading a new version of OE 6. and reinstalling it over the
    top of the old version, of course it didn’t work…..naturally, I imagine that
    I should have uninstalled the broken OE first but that’s where my not
    insignificant ignorance kicks in and my last brain cell expires with a small
    sigh. Is there anyone out there that could give some lucid advice please?

    I am loath to have to do another reinstall of Microshit Millennium edition
    as the recovery disk that I am forced to use is a complete dinosaur and full
    of HP crap that nobody could possibly want and which takes an age to clean
    out of the system.

    My thanks in advance for any glimmer of hope that you could collectively
    provide outside of subtle nuclear reactions or blueprints for turning the
    vintage HP Pavillion into a Barbeque.
    Jan Ras.
    Jan Ras, Sep 17, 2006

  2. Jan Ras

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jan Ras wrote:
    > If I click on an email address within IE ( on a web page) nothing
    > happens, no email form from OE. Appears, it used to, once upon a time.
    >
    > Looking at tools- Internet options- programs ( I have a Dutch version
    > of ME) only produces an empty drop-down list where once the selection
    > of programs appeared( hotmail.com, Outlook Express etc.)

    That is IE for the configure. My first step would be to repair IE.

    Start/ Settings/ CP/ AddRemove Programs/ select MS IE6 SP1 & tools -
    click addremove button which opens a tool to add a component, repair the
    install, or restore a previous version. Choose repair.

    Another troubleshooting measure would be to see what application is
    programmed to handle OE's eml and nws filetype handling. First, what
    happens if you click on a .nws or an .eml file which has been saved as
    an individual file from the OE store? That doesn't require being in IE,
    but the operation of opening OE based on clicking on a particular
    filetype is similar.

    Second, what do you see in the filetypes section which you can access
    from My Computer/ View menu/ Folder Options/ File types tab - under
    Outlook Express news message or mail message.

    The business of removing and replacing OE can be done with the addremove
    programs function by realizing that OE is a component of IE.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 17, 2006

  3. Jan Ras

    richard Guest

    "Jan Ras" <> wrote in message
    > HP Pavilion dinosaur 7860
    > 512 Mb
    > 80gb hd
    > M$ Windows Millennium Edition
    > Outlook express 6 (6.00.2800.1106).
    >
    > I have lost a registry entry (I think) that handles the configuration of
    > outlook express as the standard email program used by Internet Explorer.
    >
    > If I click on an email address within IE ( on a web page) nothing happens,
    > no email form from OE. Appears, it used to, once upon a time.
    >
    > Looking at tools- Internet options- programs ( I have a Dutch version of
    > ME)
    > only produces an empty drop-down list where once the selection of programs
    > appeared( hotmail.com, Outlook Express etc.)
    >
    > I have tried downloading a new version of OE 6. and reinstalling it over
    > the
    > top of the old version, of course it didn't work...naturally, I imagine
    > that
    > I should have uninstalled the broken OE first but that's where my not
    > insignificant ignorance kicks in and my last brain cell expires with a
    > small
    > sigh. Is there anyone out there that could give some lucid advice please?
    >
    > I am loath to have to do another reinstall of Microshit Millennium edition
    > as the recovery disk that I am forced to use is a complete dinosaur and
    > full
    > of HP crap that nobody could possibly want and which takes an age to
    > clean
    > out of the system.
    >
    > My thanks in advance for any glimmer of hope that you could collectively
    > provide outside of subtle nuclear reactions or blueprints for turning the
    > vintage HP Pavillion into a Barbeque.
    > Jan Ras.

    Click the options menu in the top bar.
    Under the general tab, at the bottom, there is a "default program" area.
    Is the button greyed out or not?
    If not, click the button and this should restore OE to be your default
    handler.

    There is a means via the "run" button, to ensure that OE is your default
    handler, but that method is not available to my brain at the moment.

    richard, Sep 17, 2006
  4. Jan Ras enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > HP Pavilion dinosaur 7860
    > 512 Mb
    > 80gb hd
    > M$ Windows Millennium Edition
    > Outlook express 6 (6.00.2800.1106).
    >
    > I have lost a registry entry (I think) that handles the configuration
    > of outlook express as the standard email program used by Internet
    > Explorer.
    >
    > If I click on an email address within IE ( on a web page) nothing
    > happens, no email form from OE. Appears, it used to, once upon a time.
    >
    > Looking at tools- Internet options- programs ( I have a Dutch version
    > of ME) only produces an empty drop-down list where once the selection
    > of programs appeared( hotmail.com, Outlook Express etc.)

    Have you tried to repair IE?
    What about system restore to a date before that happened?
    > sigh. Is there anyone out there that could give some lucid advice
    > please?

    My lucid dreams say everyone should use linux for mailing and surfing
    around :)

    > I am loath to have to do another reinstall of Microshit Millennium
    > edition as the recovery disk that I am forced to use is a complete
    > dinosaur and full
    > of HP crap that nobody could possibly want and which takes an age to
    > clean out of the system.

    Now, how long does it take until you have to reinstall ME, in average?
    I am uncertain about how long Microsoft still keeps up the pages
    containing security updates and other fixes for that OS, even though
    support has ended. Even more concerned about obtaining drivers for that
    OS for your existing hardware, mainboard ...

    Appears time to change the OS ...

    Walter Mautner, Sep 17, 2006
  5. Jan Ras

    thanatoid Guest

    Walter Mautner <>
    wrote in news::

    > Appears time to change the OS ...

    Yes, to 98SE. There is nothing wrong with your computer, and it
    is not a dinosaur. Burn all your important data to a few CDR's
    or DVD's, get a 98SE disc from somewhere, fdisk, partition, and
    format the drive. Install 98SE and all the programs you actually
    use. Make the second partition 1.5 GB and use it for the swap
    file only. Use other partitions for data, C is ONLY for system
    and programs (and not even necessarily ALL programs).

    If you get 98Lite (www.litepc.com) you don't even have to
    install IE/OE although IE is useful for reading chm format help
    files.

    Of course, you can also install XP, and there IS XPlite. But if
    you visit NG's regularly or read the tech news once in a while
    you might understand why I consider using XP a stupid idea.
    (Vista will be even worse, BTW.)

    Get Opera for the web and a good separate newsreader and a good
    separate mail program (hundreds of both available, many free,
    with few exceptions all better than the Microsoft crap) and
    you're all set.
    thanatoid, Sep 17, 2006
  6. Jan Ras

    AnonyMouse Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > Walter Mautner <>
    > wrote in news::
    >
    >> Appears time to change the OS ...

    > Yes, to 98SE. There is nothing wrong with your computer, and it
    > is not a dinosaur. Burn all your important data to a few CDR's
    > or DVD's, get a 98SE disc from somewhere, fdisk, partition, and
    > format the drive. Install 98SE and all the programs you actually
    > use. Make the second partition 1.5 GB and use it for the swap
    > file only. Use other partitions for data, C is ONLY for system
    > and programs (and not even necessarily ALL programs).
    >
    > If you get 98Lite (www.litepc.com) you don't even have to
    > install IE/OE although IE is useful for reading chm format help
    > files.
    >
    > Of course, you can also install XP, and there IS XPlite. But if
    > you visit NG's regularly or read the tech news once in a while
    > you might understand why I consider using XP a stupid idea.
    > (Vista will be even worse, BTW.)
    >
    > Get Opera for the web and a good separate newsreader and a good
    > separate mail program (hundreds of both available, many free,
    > with few exceptions all better than the Microsoft crap) and
    > you're all set.

    I was reading this thread and I noticed your litepc.com link--thanks for
    the link, this might come in handy some time or other.
    AnonyMouse, Sep 18, 2006
  7. thanatoid enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    Xnews "feature" to refer to OP in the headers, while quoting me?

    > Walter Mautner <>
    > wrote in news::
    >
    >> Appears time to change the OS ...

    > Yes, to 98SE. There is nothing wrong with your computer, and it
    > is not a dinosaur. Burn all your important data to a few CDR's

    98SE is EOL like ME. We don't know how long Microsoft will keep the
    update sites (with updates until 11Jul) live. They probably will need a
    huge area for vista.
    The other problem is peripherals. You rarely find a new printer with
    win9x drivers, even more so USB devices, scanners ...
    I would vote for a ubuntu livecd just to try out :).

    > Of course, you can also install XP, and there IS XPlite. But if
    > you visit NG's regularly or read the tech news once in a while
    > you might understand why I consider using XP a stupid idea.
    > (Vista will be even worse, BTW.)

    What about win2K though it will be out of main support next year ...

    > Get Opera for the web and a good separate newsreader and a good
    > separate mail program (hundreds of both available, many free,
    > with few exceptions all better than the Microsoft crap) and
    > you're all set.

    Seconded. Or, well, a ubuntu cd :)
    Walter Mautner, Sep 18, 2006
  8. Jan Ras

    thanatoid Guest

    AnonyMouse <> wrote in

    > I was reading this thread and I noticed your litepc.com
    > link--thanks for the link, this might come in handy some
    > time or other.

    Thank you for the warm fuzzy feeling. Nice to get a thanks out
    of nowhere. Lite is a GREAT customizer - and fairly easy to use.
    thanatoid, Sep 18, 2006
  9. Jan Ras

    thanatoid Guest

    Walter Mautner <>
    wrote in news::

    > thanatoid enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users
    > with:
    >
    > Xnews "feature" to refer to OP in the headers, while
    > quoting me?

    I got tired of constantly being attacked with "why are you
    replying to ME you dumb ****" and such other snippets of modern
    culture. It was a minor cut and paste job in Xnews, it is not a
    feature.

    Did it work as intended? It was the first time I tried it.

    > 98SE is EOL like ME. We don't know how long Microsoft will
    > keep the update sites (with updates until 11Jul) live. They
    > probably will need a huge area for vista.

    Hee hee. You are NOT kidding sir. But they have enough space.
    BTW, from what I have been able to ascertain from the posts of
    the unfortunates who think "Microsoft support" has anything to
    do with reality, it appears that all the files and updates and
    patches are still on the site with no sign of them disappearing
    ever. It is the (what, $30 a pop?) "phone support" they are
    talking about mainly, methinks.

    (BTW did you see the photo of two football field-sized
    facilities Google is building in Oregon? SCARY.)

    Anyway, there are thousands of sites on the web where ALL the
    info anyone could ever need to get ANYTHING running, from a
    Commodore 64 to any version of Windows, with all the patches,
    updates, SP' s etc. etc. are available and will be forever.

    > The other problem is peripherals. You rarely find a new
    > printer with win9x drivers, even more so USB devices,
    > scanners ... I would vote for a ubuntu livecd just to try
    > out :).

    A decent manufacturer should provide a 98 if not a 95 driver.
    Not all have signed the "thou shalt ONLY use XP and make your
    software purposely incompatible with every other prior version"
    contract with MS.

    >> Of course, you can also install XP, and there IS XPlite.
    >> But if you visit NG's regularly or read the tech news once
    >> in a while you might understand why I consider using XP a
    >> stupid idea. (Vista will be even worse, BTW.)
    >>

    > What about win2K though it will be out of main support next
    > year ...

    From what I have gathered over the years, Me and 200 were space
    fillers and additional money makers with no real value. 2000
    seems to work OK for some office environments, but for the home
    user, it appears there is no point.

    >> Get Opera for the web and a good separate newsreader and a
    >> good separate mail program (hundreds of both available,
    >> many free, with few exceptions all better than the
    >> Microsoft crap) and you're all set.

    > Seconded. Or, well, a ubuntu cd :)

    I actually looked at the ubuntu site, inspired by another post.
    Looks nice, but visually too much like a cross between XP and
    the Mac OS, whatever it's called. With the stupid task bar on
    the bottom and everythng (mine has been on the left for about 10
    years). But it IS beginning to look like a very good alternative
    - but Grandpa and I are too old to reinvent our wheels. Both my
    95B and 98SE lite machines work great (largely due to NO MS
    software except the heavily tweaked OS's) and hopefully "we" can
    get his to work right as well.
    thanatoid, Sep 18, 2006
  10. Jan Ras

    Jan Ras Guest

    I have read with great care all the excelent advice and tips that you all
    have provided, and all this lead me to go hunting, through this I eventually
    came up with a solution which I guess seems simple to the expert and that
    was a registry restore from a backup that I had forgotten that I had made
    way back last April.

    As a "bear with very little brain" I am inclined to go at it with a "shit
    and tear" attitude, no bakups, registry doesn't exist, load it up with more
    new freeware/adware/spyware/trojans and virussessesen, the heck with HD
    backups and so on. I know that's not the way to do it but then I am just an
    "average" computer (ab)user, not a geek or a hacker, and therefore I always
    meet myself "coming round the other way!" hence the plethora of "little"
    problems. Anyway, thanks to the collective helpfulness of you all Outlook
    Express is now, once again the
    standard default email program and everything in the garden is lovely, or at
    least as lovely as Micro$oft Millennium Edition can make it.
    You are all correct, it is time for a change of OS and a new computer. The
    old HP Pavlova 7860 will be revamped with Windows 98SE and relegated to the
    position of 2nd computer for "the Kid", and a new shiny something will take
    it's place, with an OS very far removed from Micro$haft.

    Windows ME has been abandoned by all including M$ and there is much wailing
    and gnashing of teeth.
    I shudder to think of the price of memory once the new MS OS takes hold.

    Omce again my very large thanks to you all for the prompt solutions offered
    and the good advice that flows so freely, it is in this way that "old dogs"
    like myself are constantly able to learn new tricks.
    Jan Ras

    Jan Ras, Sep 18, 2006
  11. thanatoid enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > Walter Mautner <>
    > wrote in news::
    >
    >> thanatoid enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users
    >> with:
    >>
    >> Xnews "feature" to refer to OP in the headers, while
    >> quoting me?

    > I got tired of constantly being attacked with "why are you
    > replying to ME you dumb ****" and such other snippets of modern
    > culture. It was a minor cut and paste job in Xnews, it is not a
    > feature.
    >
    > Did it work as intended? It was the first time I tried it.

    Hmm, I can't see a point in that discrepance, I always wonder (when such
    a thing happens) I must have missed a post in between ...

    >> 98SE is EOL like ME. We don't know how long Microsoft will
    >> keep the update sites (with updates until 11Jul) live. They
    >> probably will need a huge area for vista.

    > Hee hee. You are NOT kidding sir. But they have enough space.

    *BG* ... yes they have space, but usage depends upon corporate policy.
    Hopefully, they will keep the updates for a few years ...

    > BTW, from what I have been able to ascertain from the posts of
    > the unfortunates who think "Microsoft support" has anything to
    > do with reality, it appears that all the files and updates and
    > patches are still on the site with no sign of them disappearing
    > ever. It is the (what, $30 a pop?) "phone support" they are
    > talking about mainly, methinks.

    Yes, that one and investing man-hours for fixing critical flaws.

    > A decent manufacturer should provide a 98 if not a 95 driver.
    > Not all have signed the "thou shalt ONLY use XP and make your
    > software purposely incompatible with every other prior version"
    > contract with MS.

    Those who have, will be the first ones to receive their vista OEM packs.

    >> What about win2K though it will be out of main support next
    >> year ...

    > From what I have gathered over the years, Me and 200 were space
    > fillers and additional money makers with no real value. 2000
    > seems to work OK for some office environments, but for the home
    > user, it appears there is no point.

    Well, it is no gamers OS - but for a somewhat aged PC recent games are
    out of question anyways. It has almost all the security benefits of XP,
    except firewall where there are good substitutes like Kerio. It does
    not offer the same DOS compatibility hooks as XP, but most probably
    less security flaws as a payback.
    It will run office applications, todays peripherals and devices, when
    up-to-date.
    We still use it at our office and branch offices, for a lot of special
    applications/macros/analytical device controllers, and it's stable.
    You can run it for years on a 4GB harddrive with office XP and lotus
    notes, and it will not clog the drive like XP does.

    >> Seconded. Or, well, a ubuntu cd :)

    > I actually looked at the ubuntu site, inspired by another post.
    > Looks nice, but visually too much like a cross between XP and
    > the Mac OS, whatever it's called. With the stupid task bar on
    > the bottom and everythng (mine has been on the left for about 10
    > years). But it IS beginning to look like a very good alternative

    You can place the taskbar where you want it to be, and if you want it
    even more "working like windows", get kubuntu - same thing under the
    hood, but kde instead of gnome.

    > - but Grandpa and I are too old to reinvent our wheels. Both my
    > 95B and 98SE lite machines work great (largely due to NO MS
    > software except the heavily tweaked OS's) and hopefully "we" can
    > get his to work right as well.

    Ok, accepted - as long as you care about these machines and preferrably
    behind a NAT router (or linux gateway *g*) you can keep them as long as
    they live :). But <rant/> I often have to fix/reinstall hosed win9x pcs
    where there isn't a mainboard cd anymore and I can't get on the net
    without drivers where I would need the net to download them.
    Yes, I take out my knoppix livecd and google/download/save/install,
    takes a lot of time and in the end - without legal copies of office - I
    install openoffice and firefox (due to IEs flaws) and it's past
    midnight once again.
    While installing a (k)ubuntu or other linux cd would give the same basic
    setup, without headache, in 60 minutes included customization and
    transfer of existing e-mails to thunderbird, favorites to firefox and
    docs to openoffice. All these applications work just like they do in
    windows. With the additional benefit of increased resistence against
    viruses and trojans.
    </rant off>

    Now forgive me :)
    Linux 2.6.17-mm,Xorg7.1/nvidia [LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Sep 18, 2006
  12. Jan Ras

    AnonyMouse Guest

    thanatoid wrote:
    > AnonyMouse <> wrote in
    >
    >> I was reading this thread and I noticed your litepc.com
    >> link--thanks for the link, this might come in handy some
    >> time or other.

    > Thank you for the warm fuzzy feeling. Nice to get a thanks out
    > of nowhere. Lite is a GREAT customizer - and fairly easy to use.

    Actually, I was more looking at its ability to install a simple, small
    version of Windows on a computer.
    AnonyMouse, Sep 18, 2006
  13. Jan Ras

    thanatoid Guest

    Walter Mautner <>
    wrote in news::

    > thanatoid enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users
    > with:

    >> Did it work as intended? It was the first time I tried it.
    >>

    > Hmm, I can't see a point in that discrepance, I always
    > wonder (when such a thing happens) I must have missed a
    > post in between ...

    I just reply (sometimes) that I post to the thread, one of
    dozens I may happen to be in at the moment. I'm not gonna reload
    and read thirty "caught-up" posts to see WHO exactly I should
    reply to. Then I suggest they get a life or something.

    >> A decent manufacturer should provide a 98 if not a 95
    >> driver. Not all have signed the "thou shalt ONLY use XP
    >> and make your software purposely incompatible with every
    >> other prior version" contract with MS.
    >>

    > Those who have, will be the first ones to receive their
    > vista OEM packs.

    Not much of a reward AFAIAC, hee hee. I will NEVER touch that
    thing.

    >>> Seconded. Or, well, a ubuntu cd :)

    >> But it IS beginning to
    >> look like a very good alternative

    > You can place the taskbar where you want it to be, and if
    > you want it even more "working like windows", get kubuntu -
    > same thing under the hood, but kde instead of gnome.

    I don't want it to be "more like Windows"... I wish some genius
    like Ray Kurzweil (with billions, I don't think he's more than a
    multimillionaire if that, true geniuses rarely are) would just
    write a proper OS from scratch. The fact that both Linux and the
    latest Mac OS's are based on (what, 40 years old? I REALLY
    should check one of these days) Unix is laughable AND sad to me.
    More laughable than the "well, no one thought we would still be
    using all that old software" excuse uttered millions of times in
    the few years preceding 2000...

    >> - but Grandpa and I are too old to reinvent our wheels.
    >> Both my 95B and 98SE lite machines work great (largely due
    >> to NO MS software except the heavily tweaked OS's) and
    >> hopefully "we" can get his to work right as well.

    > Ok, accepted - as long as you care about these machines and
    > preferrably behind a NAT router (or linux gateway *g*) you
    > can keep them as long as they live :).

    This machine is 9 years old and the only things not original are
    the CD-RW drive and the HD. (The damn things have tendency to
    die on me. This one is holding up OK. I run full diagnostics
    from time to time. And even do a backup of sorts once or twice a
    year!!!)

    AFA NAT etc, I have a 33.6 modem, a 6 year old firewall, do a
    virus scan once a month or so and a Spybot scan 5 times a year,
    maybe. I have NEVER been invaded. I just don't use IE and I
    don't click on everything I see. And I DO a scan of my DL
    directory if it has anything other than txt, pix and music in
    it.

    > But <rant/> I often
    > have to fix/reinstall hosed win9x pcs where there isn't a
    > mainboard cd anymore and I can't get on the net without
    > drivers where I would need the net to download them. Yes, I
    > take out my knoppix livecd and
    > google/download/save/install, takes a lot of time and in
    > the end - without legal copies of office - I install
    > openoffice and firefox (due to IEs flaws) and it's past
    > midnight once again. While installing a (k)ubuntu or other
    > linux cd would give the same basic setup, without headache,
    > in 60 minutes included customization and transfer of
    > existing e-mails to thunderbird, favorites to firefox and
    > docs to openoffice. All these applications work just like
    > they do in windows. With the additional benefit of
    > increased resistence against viruses and trojans.
    > </rant off>

    No rant. I totally relate. Two comments:

    1) I, unlike many people (let alone in office environments),
    tend towards being organized. I still have every single
    CD/floppy that came with my custom built PC 9 years ago, like
    the MB drivers etc, and I have ALL the other stuff as well. Not
    only do I have it, I know WHERE!!!

    2) I got a free copy of Acronis True Image with a British
    magazine about 3 years ago. Since then the "recovery" process
    (99% of the time it is more of an anal-retentive need to keep my
    system as clean and compact as possible rather than anything
    actually going wrong, since I like to try various software - for
    about 5 minutes most of the time, there is SO little truly
    useful software around - and I don't like to spend half an hour
    removing all the crap the "uninstalls" leave behind, mainly in
    the registry...) takes about 10 minutes.

    > Now forgive me :)

    For what? I'm just surprised you have time to post since you
    appear to have a demanding and responsible job. I, OTOH, do
    nothing. And I like to rant, too.

    Cheers.
    thanatoid, Sep 19, 2006