    luck). I've tried cleaning the PCI contacts, reinstalling the driver,
    putting the card in a different slot, but nothing helps. Is there anything
    else I can try?
    Ric, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Ric

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 11:48:00 +0100, "Ric" <> wrote:

    >I have a PCI card with two serial ports on it. One port has suddenly stopped
    >working. Device manager says "this device is working properly" and Norton
    >doctor also gives it a clean bill. But I cannot get peripheries attached to
    >it to work (it's not the peripheries - I've swapped them aorund with no
    >luck). I've tried cleaning the PCI contacts, reinstalling the driver,
    >putting the card in a different slot, but nothing helps. Is there anything
    >else I can try?

    If it WAS working...and you haven't made any changes...it doesn't look
    good for the card.

    I'm assuming the cards isn't hardware jumpered. If its software
    driven, check to see that the port is still turned on. Also, if you
    set it to a common configuration, make sure that there's no conflict
    with the one in the MB BIOS.

    Also, check your settings in the BIOS...for what type of OS you've
    designated. Maybe you want to change that setting...at least
    temporarily...to see what happens.

    It really sounds like the card has gone South, though...unless you
    installed some hardware or software recently.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Ric

    Jerry G. Guest

    You can check the BIOS set-ups. From your description the system is seeing
    the card. The only thing left on the card that the system will not see if
    the final I/O device that interfaces the rear I/O connector for it to talk
    to the real world. A serial loopback tester and running a serial loopback
    test software would be the last thing in line to do the final check of a
    serial card.

    I would suggest trying a new card, to save a lot of time and aggravation.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com