    crippling of America’s armed forces, which no longer overawe and will
    take years to rebuild. (From The New Yorker, July 9-16, 2007 by
    Handrik Hertzberg – a staff writer and senior editor)

    =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 14, 2007

  2. =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Sam Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > From New Yorker magazine speaks volumes about the US situation:
    >
    >More than anyone else, including his mentor and departed co-conspirator,
    >Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney has been the intellectual author and
    >bureaucratic facilitator of the crimes and misdemeanors that have
    >inflicted unprecedented disgrace on our country’s moral and political
    >standing: the casual trashing of habeas corpus and the Geneva
    >Conventions; the claim of authority to seize suspects, including
    >American citizens, and imprison them indefinitely and incommunicado,
    >with no right to due process of law; the outright encouragement of
    >“cruel,” “inhuman,” and “degrading” treatment of prisoners; the use of
    >undoubted torture, including waterboarding (Cheney: “a no-brainer for
    >me”), which for a century the United States had prosecuted as a war
    >crime; and of course, the bloody, nightmarish Iraq war itself, launched
    >under false pretenses, conducted with stupefying incompetence, and
    >escalated long after public support for it had evaporated, at the cost
    >of scores of thousands of lives, nearly half a trillion dollars, and the
    >crippling of America’s armed forces, which no longer overawe and will
    >take years to rebuild. (From The New Yorker, July 9-16, 2007 by
    >Handrik Hertzberg – a staff writer and senior editor)

    The editor was on a roll and could not stop or be bothered with periods.

    Sam, Jul 14, 2007

  3. =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    DemoDisk Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    > > From New Yorker magazine speaks volumes about the US situation:
    > >
    > >More than anyone else, including his mentor and departed

    co-conspirator,
    > >Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney has been the intellectual author and
    > >bureaucratic facilitator of the crimes and misdemeanors that have
    > >inflicted unprecedented disgrace on our country's moral and political
    > >standing: the casual trashing of habeas corpus and the Geneva
    > >Conventions; the claim of authority to seize suspects, including
    > >American citizens, and imprison them indefinitely and incommunicado,
    > >with no right to due process of law; the outright encouragement of
    > >"cruel," "inhuman," and "degrading" treatment of prisoners; the use

    of
    > >undoubted torture, including waterboarding (Cheney: "a no-brainer for
    > >me"), which for a century the United States had prosecuted as a war
    > >crime; and of course, the bloody, nightmarish Iraq war itself,

    launched
    > >under false pretenses, conducted with stupefying incompetence, and
    > >escalated long after public support for it had evaporated, at the

    cost
    > >of scores of thousands of lives, nearly half a trillion dollars, and

    the
    > >crippling of America's armed forces, which no longer overawe and will
    > >take years to rebuild. (From The New Yorker, July 9-16, 2007 by
    > >Handrik Hertzberg - a staff writer and senior editor)

    > The editor was on a roll and could not stop or be bothered with

    periods.

    You captured the essential matter right there -- we have in our great
    country a desperate and deepening crisis of punctuation!

    DemoDisk, Jul 14, 2007
  4. =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    GHalleck Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:

    > "Sam" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Rôgêr wrote:
    >>

    >>>From New Yorker magazine speaks volumes about the US situation:
    >>>
    >>>More than anyone else, including his mentor and departed

    > co-conspirator,
    >
    >>>Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney has been the intellectual author and
    >>>bureaucratic facilitator of the crimes and misdemeanors that have
    >>>inflicted unprecedented disgrace on our country's moral and political
    >>>standing: the casual trashing of habeas corpus and the Geneva
    >>>Conventions; the claim of authority to seize suspects, including
    >>>American citizens, and imprison them indefinitely and incommunicado,
    >>>with no right to due process of law; the outright encouragement of
    >>>"cruel," "inhuman," and "degrading" treatment of prisoners; the use

    > of
    >
    >>>undoubted torture, including waterboarding (Cheney: "a no-brainer for
    >>>me"), which for a century the United States had prosecuted as a war
    >>>crime; and of course, the bloody, nightmarish Iraq war itself,

    > launched
    >
    >>>under false pretenses, conducted with stupefying incompetence, and
    >>>escalated long after public support for it had evaporated, at the

    > cost
    >
    >>>of scores of thousands of lives, nearly half a trillion dollars, and

    > the
    >
    >>>crippling of America's armed forces, which no longer overawe and will
    >>>take years to rebuild. (From The New Yorker, July 9-16, 2007 by
    >>>Handrik Hertzberg - a staff writer and senior editor)

    >>The editor was on a roll and could not stop or be bothered with

    > periods.
    >
    > You captured the essential matter right there -- we have in our great
    > country a desperate and deepening crisis of punctuation!

    Actually, a premature release from the written exam portion of the
    upcoming SAT's. To achieve the perfect score, the candidate will be
    required to re-write the single sentence into a 5-sentence, coherent
    paragraph.

    GHalleck, Jul 14, 2007
  5. =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Vanguard Guest

    "Rôgêr" wrote in message
    > From New Yorker magazine speaks volumes about the US situation:
    >
    > More than anyone else, including his mentor and departed
    > co-conspirator, Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney has been the intellectual
    > author and bureaucratic facilitator of the crimes and misdemeanors
    > that have inflicted unprecedented disgrace on our country’s moral and
    > political standing: the casual trashing of habeas corpus and the
    > Geneva Conventions; the claim of authority to seize suspects,
    > including American citizens, and imprison them indefinitely and
    > incommunicado, with no right to due process of law; the outright
    > encouragement of “cruel,” “inhuman,” and “degrading” treatment of
    > prisoners; the use of undoubted torture, including waterboarding
    > (Cheney: “a no-brainer for me”), which for a century the United States
    > had prosecuted as a war crime; and of course, the bloody, nightmarish
    > Iraq war itself, launched under false pretenses, conducted with
    > stupefying incompetence, and escalated long after public support for
    > it had evaporated, at the cost of scores of thousands of lives, nearly
    > half a trillion dollars, and the crippling of America’s armed forces,
    > which no longer overawe and will take years to rebuild. (From The
    > New Yorker, July 9-16, 2007 by Handrik Hertzberg – a staff writer and
    > senior editor)

    The writer probably has posted numerous times in newsgroups. There is
    nothing new in that style since it reoccurs often by many posters. They
    seem to think we can hear them speak the words to clue in on when they
    pause for where a period should be (or when they eventually have to take
    a breath). At least this writer's Shift key works.

    Hmm, this raises a question regarding translations to English. Do all
    other languages have some delimiter to separate sentences or thoughts?
    While it may not be the period character in that language, it should be
    so when translated to English to reflect the structure of that language.
    When a non-English speaker does the translation themself and if there is
    no sentence delimiter in their native language then I can see why they
    forget to use the delimiter. But do other languages not have any means
    of delimiting sentences?

    Vanguard, Jul 14, 2007
  6. =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Vanguard Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > From New Yorker magazine speaks volumes about the US situation:
    >
    > More than anyone else, including his mentor and departed
    > co-conspirator, Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney has been the intellectual
    > author and bureaucratic facilitator of the crimes and misdemeanors
    > that have inflicted unprecedented disgrace on our country’s moral and
    > political standing: the casual trashing of habeas corpus and the
    > Geneva Conventions; the claim of authority to seize suspects,
    > including American citizens, and imprison them indefinitely and
    > incommunicado, with no right to due process of law; the outright
    > encouragement of “cruel,” “inhuman,” and “degrading” treatment of
    > prisoners; the use of undoubted torture, including waterboarding
    > (Cheney: “a no-brainer for me”), which for a century the United States
    > had prosecuted as a war crime; and of course, the bloody, nightmarish
    > Iraq war itself, launched under false pretenses, conducted with
    > stupefying incompetence, and escalated long after public support for
    > it had evaporated, at the cost of scores of thousands of lives, nearly
    > half a trillion dollars, and the crippling of America’s armed forces,
    > which no longer overawe and will take years to rebuild. (From The
    > New Yorker, July 9-16, 2007 by Handrik Hertzberg – a staff writer and
    > senior editor)

    Tis the problem when putting the points within a single sentence (and
    not numbering them) instead of separating them into a points list which
    would show as:

    More than anyone else, including his mentor and departed co-conspirator,
    Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney has been the intellectual author and
    bureaucratic facilitator of the crimes and misdemeanors that have
    inflicted unprecedented disgrace on our country’s moral and political
    standing:

    o The casual trashing of habeas corpus and the Geneva Conventions.
    o The claim of authority to seize suspects, including American citizens,
    and imprison them indefinitely and incommunicado, with no right to due
    process of law.
    o The outright encouragement of “cruel,” “inhuman,” and “degrading”
    treatment of prisoners; the use of undoubted torture, including
    waterboarding (Cheney: “a no-brainer for me”), which for a century the
    United States had prosecuted as a war crime.
    o The bloody, nightmarish Iraq war itself, launched under false
    pretenses, conducted with stupefying incompetence, and escalated long
    after public support for it had evaporated, at the cost of scores of
    thousands of lives, nearly half a trillion dollars, and the crippling of
    America’s armed forces, which no longer overawe and will take years to
    rebuild.

    What is obvious once the points are placed in a list rather than a
    single sentence is that the writer didn't bother to provide a lead-in to
    the points list, like using ", which includes:" at the end of the
    primary sentence. Also looks like Roger missed the colon to separate
    the sentence from the points list.

    As far as composing a long sentence, this writer is an amateur. Wasn't
    it e.e. cummings that didn't use periods in his poetry? Roger would
    only have to go read some law books to realize the above really isn't
    that long. Taking sentences from
    http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/titleten.html and removing the enumeration
    of each point and replacing the period character with a semicolon at the
    end of each point to restructure the point list back into a sentence
    would indeed make for some long sentences.

    Vanguard, Jul 14, 2007
  7. =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    joe1 Guest

    On 2007-07-13 20:21:11 -0500, Rôgêr <> said:

    > From New Yorker magazine speaks volumes about the US situation:
    >
    > More than anyone else, including his mentor and departed
    > co-conspirator, Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney has been the intellectual
    > author and bureaucratic facilitator of the crimes and misdemeanors that
    > have inflicted unprecedented disgrace on our country’s moral and
    > political standing: the casual trashing of habeas corpus and the Geneva
    > Conventions; the claim of authority to seize suspects, including
    > American citizens, and imprison them indefinitely and incommunicado,
    > with no right to due process of law; the outright encouragement of
    > “cruel,†“inhuman,†and “degrading†treatment of prisoners; the use of
    > undoubted torture, including waterboarding (Cheney: “a no-brainer for
    > meâ€), which for a century the United States had prosecuted as a war
    > crime; and of course, the bloody, nightmarish Iraq war itself, launched
    > under false pretenses, conducted with stupefying incompetence, and
    > escalated long after public support for it had evaporated, at the cost
    > of scores of thousands of lives, nearly half a trillion dollars, and
    > the crippling of America’s armed forces, which no longer overawe and
    > will take years to rebuild. (From The New Yorker, July 9-16, 2007 by
    > Handrik Hertzberg – a staff writer and senior editor)

    Yep.

    joe1, Jul 14, 2007
  8. =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    MaryL Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > From New Yorker magazine speaks volumes about the US situation:
    >
    > More than anyone else, including his mentor and departed co-conspirator,
    > Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney has been the intellectual author and bureaucratic
    > facilitator of the crimes and misdemeanors that have inflicted
    > unprecedented disgrace on our country’s moral and political standing: the
    > casual trashing of habeas corpus and the Geneva Conventions; the claim of
    > authority to seize suspects, including American citizens, and imprison
    > them indefinitely and incommunicado, with no right to due process of law;
    > the outright encouragement of “cruel,” “inhuman,” and “degrading”
    > treatment of prisoners; the use of undoubted torture, including
    > waterboarding (Cheney: “a no-brainer for me”), which for a century the
    > United States had prosecuted as a war crime; and of course, the bloody,
    > nightmarish Iraq war itself, launched under false pretenses, conducted
    > with stupefying incompetence, and escalated long after public support for
    > it had evaporated, at the cost of scores of thousands of lives, nearly
    > half a trillion dollars, and the crippling of America’s armed forces,
    > which no longer overawe and will take years to rebuild. (From The New
    > Yorker, July 9-16, 2007 by Handrik Hertzberg – a staff writer and senior
    > editor)

    This author could compete for a "worst composition" award.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Jul 14, 2007
  9. =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    MaryL Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message

    > As far as composing a long sentence, this writer is an amateur. Wasn't it
    > e.e. cummings that didn't use periods in his poetry?

    Yes, e.e. cummings was famous for lack of periods (and also lack of capital
    letters). However, he *did* break his poetry into lines that created a
    natural flow for the reader. In fact, his lines were often indented in such
    a way that a sense of rhythm or expressionism was added.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Jul 14, 2007
  10. =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-14, Vanguard <> wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" wrote in message
    >> From New Yorker magazine speaks volumes about the US situation:
    >>
    >> More than anyone else, including his mentor and departed
    >> co-conspirator, Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney has been the intellectual
    >> author and bureaucratic facilitator of the crimes and misdemeanors
    >> that have inflicted unprecedented disgrace on our country’s moral and
    >> political standing: the casual trashing of habeas corpus and the
    >> Geneva Conventions; the claim of authority to seize suspects,
    >> including American citizens, and imprison them indefinitely and
    >> incommunicado, with no right to due process of law; the outright
    >> encouragement of “cruel,” “inhuman,” and “degrading” treatment of
    >> prisoners; the use of undoubted torture, including waterboarding
    >> (Cheney: “a no-brainer for me”), which for a century the United States
    >> had prosecuted as a war crime; and of course, the bloody, nightmarish
    >> Iraq war itself, launched under false pretenses, conducted with
    >> stupefying incompetence, and escalated long after public support for
    >> it had evaporated, at the cost of scores of thousands of lives, nearly
    >> half a trillion dollars, and the crippling of America’s armed forces,
    >> which no longer overawe and will take years to rebuild. (From The
    >> New Yorker, July 9-16, 2007 by Handrik Hertzberg – a staff writer and
    >> senior editor)

    > The writer probably has posted numerous times in newsgroups. There is
    > nothing new in that style since it reoccurs often by many posters. They
    > seem to think we can hear them speak the words to clue in on when they
    > pause for where a period should be (or when they eventually have to take
    > a breath). At least this writer's Shift key works.

    Shame he seems to have used some non-standard characters that make the
    whole thing look silly.

    > Hmm, this raises a question regarding translations to English. Do all
    > other languages have some delimiter to separate sentences or thoughts?
    > While it may not be the period character in that language, it should be
    > so when translated to English to reflect the structure of that language.
    > When a non-English speaker does the translation themself and if there is
    > no sentence delimiter in their native language then I can see why they
    > forget to use the delimiter. But do other languages not have any means
    > of delimiting sentences?

    seperatingwordsisarelativelyrecentinnovationinwriting

    smlnggsdntvnbthrwthvwls

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 14, 2007
  11. =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "Rôgêr" wrote in message
    >> From New Yorker magazine speaks volumes about the US situation:
    >>
    >> More than anyone else, including his mentor and departed
    >> co-conspirator, Donald Rumsfeld, Cheney has been the intellectual
    >> author and bureaucratic facilitator of the crimes and misdemeanors
    >> that have inflicted unprecedented disgrace on our country’s moral and
    >> political standing: the casual trashing of habeas corpus and the
    >> Geneva Conventions; the claim of authority to seize suspects,
    >> including American citizens, and imprison them indefinitely and
    >> incommunicado, with no right to due process of law; the outright
    >> encouragement of “cruel,” “inhuman,” and “degrading” treatment of
    >> prisoners; the use of undoubted torture, including waterboarding
    >> (Cheney: “a no-brainer for me”), which for a century the United States
    >> had prosecuted as a war crime; and of course, the bloody, nightmarish
    >> Iraq war itself, launched under false pretenses, conducted with
    >> stupefying incompetence, and escalated long after public support for
    >> it had evaporated, at the cost of scores of thousands of lives, nearly
    >> half a trillion dollars, and the crippling of America’s armed forces,
    >> which no longer overawe and will take years to rebuild. (From The
    >> New Yorker, July 9-16, 2007 by Handrik Hertzberg – a staff writer and
    >> senior editor)

    > The writer probably has posted numerous times in newsgroups. There is
    > nothing new in that style since it reoccurs often by many posters. They
    > seem to think we can hear them speak the words to clue in on when they
    > pause for where a period should be (or when they eventually have to take
    > a breath). At least this writer's Shift key works.
    >
    > Hmm, this raises a question regarding translations to English. Do all
    > other languages have some delimiter to separate sentences or thoughts?
    > While it may not be the period character in that language, it should be
    > so when translated to English to reflect the structure of that language.
    > When a non-English speaker does the translation themself and if there is
    > no sentence delimiter in their native language then I can see why they
    > forget to use the delimiter. But do other languages not have any means
    > of delimiting sentences?

    reocur? How about trying recur. The latter is found in most dictionaries.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Jul 14, 2007