    computer just says Request timed out I am able to get on the internet
    with both machines but because one or both don't ping each other, I
    can' t share files and folders. Any suggestions? Thanks

    noel8, Feb 18, 2007

  2. Hi
    If you are able to get to the Internet with both computers it means that
    they are both configured correctly Network wise. You can Not ping for the
    same reason that you can not Share. I.a. something is blocking the File
    Sharing configuration.
    The Firewall is one thing that comes into mind.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    to be shared.
    Basic XP -
    Advanced XP -
    Vista - http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 19, 2007

  3. noel8

    noel8 Guest

    On Feb 18, 8:30 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > If you are able to get to the Internet with both computers it means that
    > they are both configured correctly Network wise. You can Not ping for the
    > same reason that you can not Share. I.a. something is blocking the File
    > Sharing configuration.
    > The Firewall is one thing that comes into mind.
    > Successful Sharing involves some general consideration in Network settings,http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > As well as specific adjustment of each computer according to what is allowed
    > to be shared.
    > Basic XP -http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/filesh...
    > Advanced XP -http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040
    > Vista -http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/vista_fp.mspx
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "noel8" <> wrote in message

    > >I tried to ping both computers and one responds rather quickly and
    > > then disappears..it did say "Reply from and etc 3 times. The other
    > > computer just says Request timed out I am able to get on the internet
    > > with both machines but because one or both don't ping each other, I
    > > can' t share files and folders. Any suggestions? Thanks

    Unfortunately, I do not get the same results as shown in display on
    the first link. I cannot get a 'box' that says "security' after going
    to properties..just 3 tabs..general, compatibility and shortcut. I
    have XP Home SP2

    noel8, Feb 19, 2007