one of the MS robots has a sense of humor

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Thor, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. Thor

    Thor Guest

    Thor, Dec 1, 2003

  2. Thor

    V W Wall Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > This link to a new Microsoft tweaking tool was in my Langalist newsletter.
    > It's actually kind of amusing to read.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/scriptcenter/tools/twkmatic.asp
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/uqi7

    Even more interesting: When you select "Products & Technology", you get
    another botched-up tree. Selecting "Internet Explorer" goes to a screen
    with messed up boxes to the right. This using IE6 on Win98FE.

    Just for fun, I switched to Netscape 4.80. The boxes on the third screen
    are now correct! Sa "bot" age?

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........
    V W Wall, Dec 1, 2003

  3. Thor

    Thor Guest

    The page and menus all rendered properly for me. ???

    Thor, Dec 1, 2003
  4. Thor

    V W Wall Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > The page and menus all rendered properly for me. ???

    Did you try this one:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ie/default.asp

    I just retried it with the following results:

    I got to it by following the second "Products & Technologies" and
    then "Internet Explorer" from the url you gave. The first "Products
    & Technology" led to a similar page but with a nice header and logo.
    "Internet Explorer" on either page led to the url cited above.

    The three boxes to the right of the page (Security Hotfixes, Chats,
    KB Articles), had the font within them trunceted at the left box
    outline. This was with IE Explorer Version: 6.0.2600.0000IC.

    Using Netscape Version 4.8, the boxes were OK.

    Strange. Maybe I should try with Opera or Mozilla, which I have
    but haven't used in a while. I've seen quite a few MS pages that
    won't play properly on Netscape; this is the first that works
    OK on Netscape, but not on IE 6.

    Sa "bot" age?

    Virg Wall
    V W Wall, Dec 1, 2003
  5. Thor

    Thor Guest

    "V W Wall" <> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > The page and menus all rendered properly for me. ???

    > Did you try this one:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ie/default.asp
    >
    > I just retried it with the following results:
    >
    > I got to it by following the second "Products & Technologies" and
    > then "Internet Explorer" from the url you gave. The first "Products
    > & Technology" led to a similar page but with a nice header and logo.
    > "Internet Explorer" on either page led to the url cited above.
    >
    > The three boxes to the right of the page (Security Hotfixes, Chats,
    > KB Articles), had the font within them trunceted at the left box
    > outline. This was with IE Explorer Version: 6.0.2600.0000IC.
    >
    > Using Netscape Version 4.8, the boxes were OK.
    >
    > Strange. Maybe I should try with Opera or Mozilla, which I have
    > but haven't used in a while. I've seen quite a few MS pages that
    > won't play properly on Netscape; this is the first that works
    > OK on Netscape, but not on IE 6.

    I checked it out. Looks perfectly rendered on mine. No anomalies.
    Thor, Dec 2, 2003
  6. Thor

    V W Wall Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "V W Wall" <> wrote in message
    > > Thor wrote:
    > > >
    > > > The page and menus all rendered properly for me. ???

    > > Did you try this one:
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ie/default.asp
    > >
    > > I just retried it with the following results:
    > >
    > > I got to it by following the second "Products & Technologies" and
    > > then "Internet Explorer" from the url you gave. The first "Products
    > > & Technology" led to a similar page but with a nice header and logo.
    > > "Internet Explorer" on either page led to the url cited above.
    > >
    > > The three boxes to the right of the page (Security Hotfixes, Chats,
    > > KB Articles), had the font within them trunceted at the left box
    > > outline. This was with IE Explorer Version: 6.0.2600.0000IC.
    > >
    > > Using Netscape Version 4.8, the boxes were OK.
    > >
    > > Strange. Maybe I should try with Opera or Mozilla, which I have
    > > but haven't used in a while. I've seen quite a few MS pages that
    > > won't play properly on Netscape; this is the first that works
    > > OK on Netscape, but not on IE 6.

    > I checked it out. Looks perfectly rendered on mine. No anomalies.

    Problem found: I was using Proxomitron set at Level5.cfg A lot more than
    the boxes were rendered inproperly, as I found when using "Bypass".
    Strange that Netscape and IE6 would act so differently. Now that many
    browsers have pop-up stoppers, I wonder what happens with some of them.
    I leave Proxomitron set this way most of the time, and have had few
    problems. It sure speeds up loading sites like:

    http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/ which has a bunch of slow pop-ups.

    I missed the point of your first post. I thought you were talking about
    the "tree" with redundant branches which showed up with Proxomitron active.
    The entire frame system was missing. It's like the blind men "seeing" the
    elephant differently with their hands.

    Now that I see your point, it is interesting that they'd partially own up
    to TweakUI, at this point. Will have to perruse the whole site again,
    when it's not so late.

    Virg Wall
    V W Wall, Dec 2, 2003
  7. Thor

    Thor Guest

    > > I checked it out. Looks perfectly rendered on mine. No anomalies.
    >
    > Problem found: I was using Proxomitron set at Level5.cfg A lot more than
    > the boxes were rendered inproperly, as I found when using "Bypass".
    > Strange that Netscape and IE6 would act so differently. Now that many
    > browsers have pop-up stoppers, I wonder what happens with some of them.
    > I leave Proxomitron set this way most of the time, and have had few
    > problems. It sure speeds up loading sites like:
    >
    > http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/ which has a bunch of slow pop-ups.

    Well I stopped using Proxomitron a long time ago because of page rendering
    problems. And I even had problems with it when the thing was supposedly
    "bypassed". I had to disable the proxy setting in the browser completely to
    work around it. I tried newer versions of Proxomotron etc. to no avail, and
    reluctantly abandoned it's use. I switched to Pop-up Cop, and got fantastic
    results from that. Then I started using "My IE2" shell with tabbed browsing,
    and pop-up blocking. I don't miss Proxomitron one bit.
    Thor, Dec 2, 2003
  8. Thor

    Night_Seer Guest

    Thor wrote:
    >>> I checked it out. Looks perfectly rendered on mine. No anomalies.

    >> Problem found: I was using Proxomitron set at Level5.cfg A lot
    >> more than the boxes were rendered inproperly, as I found when using
    >> "Bypass". Strange that Netscape and IE6 would act so differently.
    >> Now that many browsers have pop-up stoppers, I wonder what happens
    >> with some of them.
    >> I leave Proxomitron set this way most of the time, and have had few
    >> problems. It sure speeds up loading sites like:
    >>
    >> http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/ which has a bunch of slow
    >> pop-ups.

    > Well I stopped using Proxomitron a long time ago because of page
    > rendering problems. And I even had problems with it when the thing
    > was supposedly "bypassed". I had to disable the proxy setting in the
    > browser completely to work around it. I tried newer versions of
    > Proxomotron etc. to no avail, and reluctantly abandoned it's use. I
    > switched to Pop-up Cop, and got fantastic results from that. Then I
    > started using "My IE2" shell with tabbed browsing, and pop-up
    > blocking. I don't miss Proxomitron one bit.

    I went on that site with the google toolbar, and it doesn't show any
    pop-ups blocked.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 2, 2003
  9. Thor

    Thor Guest

    > >> Problem found: I was using Proxomitron set at Level5.cfg A lot
    > >> more than the boxes were rendered inproperly, as I found when using
    > >> "Bypass". Strange that Netscape and IE6 would act so differently.
    > >> Now that many browsers have pop-up stoppers, I wonder what happens
    > >> with some of them.
    > >> I leave Proxomitron set this way most of the time, and have had few
    > >> problems. It sure speeds up loading sites like:
    > >>
    > >> http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/ which has a bunch of slow
    > >> pop-ups.

    > > Well I stopped using Proxomitron a long time ago because of page
    > > rendering problems. And I even had problems with it when the thing
    > > was supposedly "bypassed". I had to disable the proxy setting in the
    > > browser completely to work around it. I tried newer versions of
    > > Proxomotron etc. to no avail, and reluctantly abandoned it's use. I
    > > switched to Pop-up Cop, and got fantastic results from that. Then I
    > > started using "My IE2" shell with tabbed browsing, and pop-up
    > > blocking. I don't miss Proxomitron one bit.

    > I went on that site with the google toolbar, and it doesn't show any
    > pop-ups blocked.

    Pop-ups weren't the issue i had with Proxomitron, or the site in question
    here. It was that Proxomitron was screwing up various pages. Blocking access
    to some and causing rendering problems with others, regardless of the bypass
    setting.
    Thor, Dec 2, 2003
  10. Thor

    V W Wall Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    > > > Well I stopped using Proxomitron a long time ago because of page
    > > > rendering problems. And I even had problems with it when the thing
    > > > was supposedly "bypassed". I had to disable the proxy setting in the
    > > > browser completely to work around it. I tried newer versions of
    > > > Proxomotron etc. to no avail, and reluctantly abandoned it's use. I
    > > > switched to Pop-up Cop, and got fantastic results from that. Then I
    > > > started using "My IE2" shell with tabbed browsing, and pop-up
    > > > blocking. I don't miss Proxomitron one bit.

    > > I went on that site with the google toolbar, and it doesn't show any
    > > pop-ups blocked.

    > Pop-ups weren't the issue i had with Proxomitron, or the site in question
    > here. It was that Proxomitron was screwing up various pages. Blocking access
    > to some and causing rendering problems with others, regardless of the bypass
    > setting.

    I agree. Some downloads don't work properly, even eith the bypass.

    I downloaded "MyIE", and tried "bigcharts". It came up with all the
    fancy trimmings. (Maybe they're not pop-ups, but Proxomitron stops them.).

    In MyIE Options, I checked "auto-filter pop-ups", to no avail.
    I'd love to get rid of Proxomitron, but I access "bigcharts' regularly,
    and it seems to be the only thing that cleans it up.

    Haven't tried Pop-up Cop, maybe that's the answer. My task bar is getting full
    of browser icons, good thing I just moved everything to a new 80GB drive.

    Incidently, Proximitron worked with MyIE, without setting any additional proxy.
    Maybe it imports that setting as it did the old IE6 favourites.

    Virg Wall
    V W Wall, Dec 3, 2003
  11. Thor

    Night_Seer Guest

    V W Wall wrote:
    > Thor wrote:
    >>
    >> "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in message

    >>> I went on that site with the google toolbar, and it doesn't show any
    >>> pop-ups blocked.

    >> Pop-ups weren't the issue i had with Proxomitron, or the site in
    >> question here. It was that Proxomitron was screwing up various
    >> pages. Blocking access to some and causing rendering problems with
    >> others, regardless of the bypass setting.

    > I agree. Some downloads don't work properly, even eith the bypass.
    >
    > I downloaded "MyIE", and tried "bigcharts". It came up with all the
    > fancy trimmings. (Maybe they're not pop-ups, but Proxomitron stops
    > them.).
    >
    > In MyIE Options, I checked "auto-filter pop-ups", to no avail.
    > I'd love to get rid of Proxomitron, but I access "bigcharts'
    > regularly,
    > and it seems to be the only thing that cleans it up.
    >
    > Haven't tried Pop-up Cop, maybe that's the answer. My task bar is
    > getting full of browser icons, good thing I just moved everything to
    > a new 80GB drive.
    >
    > Incidently, Proximitron worked with MyIE, without setting any
    > additional proxy. Maybe it imports that setting as it did the old IE6
    > favourites.
    >
    > Virg Wall

    Why not just use the google toolbar. It has worked wonderfully as a
    pop-up blocker. I understand if you'd rather not have a search bar, but
    this is a GOOGLE bar...you use google anyways.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Dec 3, 2003
  12. Thor

    Thor Guest

    Proxomitron is relatively unusual in that it can block far more web page
    elements than the average pop-up blocker. The blocker in MyIE is effective
    at blocking most all pop-ups, but it does not filter out indiviudal page
    elements on the scale that proxomitron does. I don't mind though, since
    pop-ups irritate me far more than the odd banner on a webpage. Pop-up Cop
    has far more customization options than most generic pop-up killers, but
    still not on the scale that proxomitron does, so it may, or may not be
    effective at blocking what you want. It has a free 30 day trial. I like it
    alot.
    Thor, Dec 3, 2003
  13. Thor

    V W Wall Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > Proxomitron is relatively unusual in that it can block far more web page
    > elements than the average pop-up blocker. The blocker in MyIE is effective
    > at blocking most all pop-ups, but it does not filter out indiviudal page
    > elements on the scale that proxomitron does. I don't mind though, since
    > pop-ups irritate me far more than the odd banner on a webpage. Pop-up Cop
    > has far more customization options than most generic pop-up killers, but
    > still not on the scale that proxomitron does, so it may, or may not be
    > effective at blocking what you want. It has a free 30 day trial. I like it
    > alot.

    The "Big Charts" site does have a lot of stuff. Ads for several brokers,
    animated banners, etc. They're all very pretty, but it takes two-three
    times longer for the site to come up. Since following the market, involves
    refreshing the data often, it is a bother. My son is getting SDN, we may
    just network and enjoy the added scenery at high speed!

    MyIE looks like a good addition to my task bar--still don't know how
    Proxomitron found about it, or vice versa. Or does the proxy change
    apply to all browsers? I had to add it to NC and again to IE. Depending
    on how much MyIE "Shell" uses the basic IE6, that may explain it.

    Thanks for the suggestion about MyIE, seems to have lots of good features.
    May reduce the pain of going to MS IE for anything Microsoft related.
    I find even the latest KB articles won't print out in anything else.

    Virg Wall
    V W Wall, Dec 3, 2003
  14. Thor

    Thor Guest

    > MyIE looks like a good addition to my task bar--still don't know how
    > Proxomitron found about it, or vice versa. Or does the proxy change
    > apply to all browsers? I had to add it to NC and again to IE. Depending
    > on how much MyIE "Shell" uses the basic IE6, that may explain it.

    All the IE proxy settings apply to MyIE since IE is the rendering engine for
    MyIE.

    > Thanks for the suggestion about MyIE, seems to have lots of good features.

    I'm hooked on it. Although Pop-up Cop doesn't integrate into it. Pop-up Cop
    doesn't use a local proxy like Proxomitron does.
    Thor, Dec 3, 2003