    --
    Regards,

    Peter Hoult UK

    peterhoult, Feb 3, 2008

  2. What program?

    a) Depends on the program and whether or not it requires a driver.

    b) Of course.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 3, 2008

  3. 1.) It does already - 32-bit applications run well in Vista64. The problems
    are with 16 bit applications, or 32-bit applications that either require a
    system level driver, or have a 16-bit installer. There is NO support for 16
    bit applications in any 64-bit MS operating system.

    2.) Yes, certainly. You'd need a new license for it if this is an OEM
    version, or you'd need to obtain a 32-bit DVD to install from if this is
    retail.

    3.) One other possibility, since the you don't tell us what the program is
    or what kind of error you're getting. There might be a workaround to install
    it if it's actually a 32-bit program but a 16 bit installer.

    4.) Finally, you could run a virtual machine on your 64-bit Windows Vista,
    using VirtualPC, or any of several third party virtualization solutions, and
    install a version of 32-bit Windows in it that would let you run this
    application.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 3, 2008
  4. peterhoult

    peterhoult Guest

    Re: One of my new programs wont work on Vista 64 bit Home Basic -

    --
    Regards,

    Peter Hoult UK

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > What program?
    >
    > a) Depends on the program and whether or not it requires a driver.
    >
    > b) Of course.
    >
    > "peterhoult" <> wrote in message
    > >I tried to use a program with Windows Vista Home Basic 64 bit edition.
    > >
    > > It won't install, and the program makers say they have no plans to produce
    > > 64 bit version. They say it works with Vista 32 bit version.
    > >
    > > This leads me to 2 questions:
    > >
    > > a) can you make the 64 bit version run in a 32 bit compatibility mode?
    > > b) can a 32 bit version of vista be installed on a machine with 64 bit
    > > architecture?
    > > --
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Peter Hoult UK

    The program is a DJ Lighting Controller called Chauvet ShowXpress.

    I have contacted their support guys and they say it will not run on Vista 64
    bit but will run on normal Vista.

    There are 2 errors I get when I try to install.

    It won't let me install the drivers for the connection between the USB and
    the disco lights

    and 2nd when I try to run the program that "runs" the light show I get an
    "Unhandled Exception" error.

    I know the program works as I have installed it on a XP Media Center 2005
    laptop and it works fine

    and also on a Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz (A 64 bit processor I believe)
    running XP Home normal 32 bit even though their support guys seem to think
    it won't even work with any 64 bit processor no matter what OS is used.

    For your information the URL for the software is:

    http://showxpress.thelightingcontroller.com/english/download.html

    Thanks for replying so quickly!

    Your info has been useful already!

    peterhoult, Feb 4, 2008
  5. Re: One of my new programs wont work on Vista 64 bit Home Basic -

    Well, you are simply out of luck, the processor isn't important - the OS is.
    If it doesn't run in 64bit, then there is nothing else to do but to install
    it to a 32bit OS! This could be a VM, of course!

    No hacks, workarounds or incantations!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 4, 2008
  6. Re: One of my new programs wont work on Vista 64 bit Home Basic -

    The problem with using XP in a Virtual PC virtual machine is that VPC does
    not support communication with a usb device like the control board.

    Before you revert to 32bit Vista, you might investigate a virtualization
    solution like VMWare which does support usb. Since you would still need a
    copy of XP to use in the VMWare virtual machine using Vista x86 does appear
    to be the simplest solution but you may want to try the VMWare solution
    first if you have a copy of XP to spare.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 4, 2008
  7. Re: One of my new programs wont work on Vista 64 bit Home Basic -

    Tony, the software uses a usb connected control board to control lighting.
    VPC is out although VMWare might be viable.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 4, 2008
  8. peterhoult

    peterhoult Guest

    Re: One of my new programs wont work on Vista 64 bit Home Basic -

    Thanks again for replying so promptly!

    Sorry if I seem a bit stupid but is x86 another name for the 32 bit Vista? -
    I think that is what you imply.

    Looks as if I will have to obtain Vista 32 bit edition (Will seem a strange
    request to the Microsoft support team (I'm going to ask them if it's possible
    to get an "upgrade" price on the Vista 32 Bit Premium - The version I use now
    is an OEM "System Builder" version)

    --
    Regards,

    Peter Hoult UK

    peterhoult, Feb 4, 2008
  9. Re: One of my new programs wont work on Vista 64 bit Home Basic -

    x86 is the standard nomenclature for the instruction set originated by Intel
    with the 8086 cpu. It is the architecture on which 16bit and 32bit Windows
    has been built. x64 is the standard nomentclature for the 64bit cpus that
    are backwards compatible with the x86 instructions set. x64 comes from the
    AMD64, the first cpu in the family. Some write the shorthand for the
    instruction set as 86_64. Itanium based 64bit systems are known as IA64.

    Do not use an upgrade edition of Vista x86 to overwrite Vista x64. You need
    to do a clean install and the x86 upgrade edition does not do a clean
    install. There is a problem when overwriting x64 installations of XP Pro
    x64 and Vista x64 with Vista x86. The x86 installer does not know how to
    deal with the extra Program Files (x86) folder and fails to roll up at least
    some of the files that it needs to. It is a long story but I have attempted
    running Vista x86 Setup from a 64bit desktop. It results in a flawed
    installation of x86. Avoid the grief and ask for a full edition, not
    upgrade.

    Get yourself a System Builder edition of Vista Home Premium x86. It should
    cost you less than a retail upgrade edition anyway.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 4, 2008