One More Wireless-to-Wired Oddity

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by J, Dec 31, 2005.

  1. J

    J Guest

    Yesterday I was told how to combine my dsl modem/router and
    linksys router into one network, by turning off dhcp in the
    linksys wired router and making it into a passive switch

    Today, I've noticed a file sharing oddity

    A and B are desktops connected to wired linksys ports, C is
    a laptop using the wireless dsl modem... all are able to see
    each other, and it is possible to print from the laptop to a
    computer connected to one of the desktops

    The oddity is that I set several folders on B to be shared,
    and I am able to see them from A... but when I set folders
    to be shared on the C/laptop, they are not visible to either
    of the desktop computers, and the several shared folders on
    the B/desktop are not visible from the laptop

    Both desktops see the laptop's Windows default shared folder,
    and the laptop sees the default shared folders on each desktop,
    but there this oddity concerning wireless-to-wired settings

    It is possible to get files copied to where they need to go by
    first copying to the default shared folders set up by Windoze
    and then to the actual folder after physically moving to that
    computer... but it would be much faster for me to copy files
    directly to where they need to go in the first place (which I
    am able to do for copies between the two wired desktops)

    Anyone have any idea why the non-default folders on either the
    desktop or laptop are not seen on the other computer?

    J, Dec 31, 2005

  2. J

    J Guest

    I Hate Windoze!

    I had restarted all 3 computers and the changes I made did
    NOT show up in network places... but now, today, all of the
    folders I added to sharing DO show up

    Oh well... it works now as expected, so I guess the oddity
    of the network "table" not immediately updating is just an
    oddity, and not something I'm going to worry about now

    J, Jan 2, 2006