One machine wont connect to 3500XL

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by LinkN, Feb 15, 2007.

  1. LinkN

    LinkN Guest

    I'm not a cisco guru by any stretch of the imagination yet the task
    of
    playing with them falls to me in this small company. Learning curve
    resembles a skate ramp at the moment.

    I've got one machine that is running my monitoring tools like PRTG,
    Ethereal
    etc, which simply wont connect to this one 3500XL switch. It works
    fine on
    the HP Procurve and the Cisco 2960, both of which I configured with
    the most
    basic of basic setups. The 3500XL, however, was inherited.

    There are no lights at all on the switch when I plug the machine in.
    Same
    patch leads are used for the different switches so I think it's config
    issue
    or sorts.

    Any ideas?

    Also - a fair few commands dont work. I'm following this
    (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps637/
    products_command_reference_chapter09186a008007eed6.html#xtocid2472920)
    and some seemingly basic things like "sh counters" dont work. What am
    missing?

    Thanks in advance.
    Lincoln

    LinkN, Feb 15, 2007

  2. LinkN

    BernieM Guest

    "LinkN" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not a cisco guru by any stretch of the imagination yet the task
    > of
    > playing with them falls to me in this small company. Learning curve
    > resembles a skate ramp at the moment.
    >
    > I've got one machine that is running my monitoring tools like PRTG,
    > Ethereal
    > etc, which simply wont connect to this one 3500XL switch. It works
    > fine on
    > the HP Procurve and the Cisco 2960, both of which I configured with
    > the most
    > basic of basic setups. The 3500XL, however, was inherited.
    >
    > There are no lights at all on the switch when I plug the machine in.
    > Same
    > patch leads are used for the different switches so I think it's config
    > issue
    > or sorts.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Also - a fair few commands dont work. I'm following this
    > (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps637/
    > products_command_reference_chapter09186a008007eed6.html#xtocid2472920)
    > and some seemingly basic things like "sh counters" dont work. What am
    > missing?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Lincoln

    If the link isn't coming up the first things to check is whether there's a
    hard-coded speed setting mismatch or if the port is administratively
    shutdown.

    BernieM

    BernieM, Feb 15, 2007