One laptop, multiple wireless networks, different settings...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Peter Connolly, Mar 1, 2009.

  1. Hi,

    On Windows XP, every wireless connection had its own TCP/IP properties, so
    you could define static addresses on some networks, DHCP on another.

    In Vista (Ultimate), I can only find TCP/IP settings for the adapter - so if
    I move between sites, I have to manually mess with my settings.

    The situation is this; I work regularly at three sites.

    Site A has DHCP set up, and I'm OK taking a DHCP address in the 192.168.2.0
    range
    Site B has no DHCP - I need a static address in the 10.0.0.0 range
    Site C has DHCP set up, but I need a specific static address in the
    192.168.1.0 range (the DHCP server is only a small wireless router, so I
    can't do DHCP reservations)

    In XP this would be easy - in Vista, I've looked off and on for several
    days, and found no clues...

    The machine is a new Latiitude D830 with an Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG card.

    Any clues as to where I should look next?

    Regards,

    Peter Connolly

    Peter Connolly, Mar 1, 2009

  2. Hi
    Windows provides two sets of TCP/IP configuration. There are 3rd party
    utilities that provide more.
    How to Configure a Laptop (or any computer) to connect to more than one
    Network? http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#fewtcp-ip
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 1, 2009

  3. Thanks Jack; I'll check that out.

    Still not sure why Vista took a step backwards in this area of networking,
    but Microsoft won't listen to me! <g>

    Pete.

    Peter Connolly, Mar 1, 2009
  4. Peter Connolly

    Pavel A. Guest

    Probably you're confused here... In XP, a "connection"
    is same as "adapter" in Vista, so even in XP one can't
    define different IP settings per wireless network (SSID) -
    unless some 3rd party software does it.
    Maybe it was the PROset. There's no PROset for Vista.

    Regards,
    --pa

    Pavel A., Mar 3, 2009
  5. "Pavel A." <> wrote in message
    > Probably you're confused here... In XP, a "connection"
    > is same as "adapter" in Vista, so even in XP one can't
    > define different IP settings per wireless network (SSID) -
    > unless some 3rd party software does it.
    > Maybe it was the PROset. There's no PROset for Vista.

    Well, confused or not, in XP - without any extra software - I can define
    seperate TCPIP settings for each SSID I connect to.... that's why I'm not
    happy that I can't do it in Vista.

    Regards,

    Pete.

    Peter Connolly, Mar 3, 2009
  6. Hi
    Can you explain which menu comes up that let you do it.
    The native Wireless (WZC) let you obtain an IP number as needed but core of
    the TCPIP stays the same, and it is the same in Vista.
    The Menu system in Vista looks different, it might be that you are Not aware
    of it.
    http://www.ezlan.net/vista/vista_wlist.jpg

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 3, 2009