    Backup one to one i.e. the ISDN Backup cover for one leased-line only.

    Could anyone help or give me some idea.

    Thanks in advance.

    norsyam, Sep 19, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Haven't done this myself, but here is what I would try:

    Create two dialer interfaces, one for each isdn-backup-destination. Assign
    these interfaces to the dialer-pool used by the pri-serial. Have dialer 1
    track status of leased-line1-serial and have dialer 2 track status of
    leased-line2-serial.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Sep 19, 2004

  3. In article <>,
    norsyam <> wrote:
    >Hi guys,
    >
    >I have question regarding ISDN Backup. I try to configure ISDN Backup
    >which cater for two leased-line. What I means is that this ISDN backup
    >will backup for this two leased-line either one of the leased-line
    >down of both of the leased-line down. I use ISDN PRI as my backup.
    >
    >Does anybody try this type of setup.I can only manage to do ISDN
    >Backup one to one i.e. the ISDN Backup cover for one leased-line only.
    >
    >Could anyone help or give me some idea.
    >
    >Thanks in advance.

    This should be straight forward if you use dialer profiles and define a
    separate dialer for each line to be backed up. You can then use "backup
    interface" on each leased line, pointing to the appropriate dialer.
    Depending on your topology, you could also use DDR or dialer watch, but
    backing up multiple links is easiest with "backup interface" as long as
    you can depend on the link level to detect link outages.

    Hint: define additional DDR dialers to allow testing the dial links
    without removing the "backup interface" commands and use them regularly
    for testing. Otherwise, you won't discover that you have a dial link
    failure until you need the dial link to back up a failed leased line.

    Good luck and have fun!
    http://www.networkingunlimited.com

    Vincent C Jones, Sep 19, 2004
  4. norsyam

    norsyam Guest

    Hi guys,

    Meaning to say, we use the same configuration as dialer-profile just
    add backup interface command at each of serial interface. I already
    tried that configuration, but what I found is that I cannot use the
    same remote hostname for each dialer interface. Below is the dialer
    interface configuration that I did.

    interface Dialer0
    ip address 10.20.20.1 255.255.255.252
    encapsulation ppp
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    dialer pool 1
    dialer idle-timeout 300
    dialer string 12345678
    dialer-group 1
    ppp authentication chap
    ppp multilink
    multilink max-links 30
    !
    interface Dialer1
    ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
    encapsulation ppp
    no ip route-cache
    no ip mroute-cache
    dialer pool 1
    dialer remote-name RemoteA
    dialer idle-timeout 300
    dialer string 12345678
    dialer-group 1
    ppp authentication chap
    ppp multilink
    multilink max-links 30
    !

    Means that for my PRI, it has to dial to two different remote router.
    If there any way that the router being confgured can use the same
    dialer remote name or that is the rule one dialer remote name for one
    dialer interface.

    norsyam, Sep 25, 2004
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi guys,
    >
    > Meaning to say, we use the same configuration as dialer-profile just
    > add backup interface command at each of serial interface. I already
    > tried that configuration, but what I found is that I cannot use the
    > same remote hostname for each dialer interface. Below is the dialer
    > interface configuration that I did.
    >
    > interface Dialer0
    > ip address 10.20.20.1 255.255.255.252
    > encapsulation ppp
    > no ip route-cache
    > no ip mroute-cache
    > dialer pool 1
    > dialer idle-timeout 300
    > dialer string 12345678
    > dialer-group 1
    > ppp authentication chap
    > ppp multilink
    > multilink max-links 30
    > !
    > interface Dialer1
    > ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
    > encapsulation ppp
    > no ip route-cache
    > no ip mroute-cache
    > dialer pool 1
    > dialer remote-name RemoteA
    > dialer idle-timeout 300
    > dialer string 12345678
    > dialer-group 1
    > ppp authentication chap
    > ppp multilink
    > multilink max-links 30
    > !
    >
    > Means that for my PRI, it has to dial to two different remote router.
    > If there any way that the router being confgured can use the same
    > dialer remote name or that is the rule one dialer remote name for one

    Hi, I'm a isdn backup line of a serial line. I'm using static routing and
    the only thing I do is write down the isdn routes with higher weight than
    serial routes. Regards

    Rodrigo Aragón, Sep 27, 2004
  6. norsyam

    micke Guest

    If I get it right you are running two paralell links between these
    routers and you want the ISDN to be backup for both links at the same
    time if one of the links will fail right ??

    its a good issue if this is the case a ide that pops into my head is
    and I dont think it will be imposible to configure but I havent
    tested. I assume you need 2 links for bandwith, lets make a PPP
    multilink of the 2 serial links now you have one link and check load
    on this bundle to trigger the isdn for calling up extra bandwith on
    demand will it help ?

    /micke

    micke, Sep 27, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    norsyam <> wrote:
    >Hi guys,
    >
    >Meaning to say, we use the same configuration as dialer-profile just
    >add backup interface command at each of serial interface. I already
    >tried that configuration, but what I found is that I cannot use the
    >same remote hostname for each dialer interface. Below is the dialer
    >interface configuration that I did.
    >
    >interface Dialer0
    > ip address 10.20.20.1 255.255.255.252
    > encapsulation ppp
    > no ip route-cache
    > no ip mroute-cache
    > dialer pool 1
    > dialer idle-timeout 300
    > dialer string 12345678
    > dialer-group 1
    > ppp authentication chap
    > ppp multilink
    > multilink max-links 30
    >!
    >interface Dialer1
    > ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252
    > encapsulation ppp
    > no ip route-cache
    > no ip mroute-cache
    > dialer pool 1
    > dialer remote-name RemoteA
    > dialer idle-timeout 300
    > dialer string 12345678
    > dialer-group 1
    > ppp authentication chap
    > ppp multilink
    > multilink max-links 30
    >!
    >
    >Means that for my PRI, it has to dial to two different remote router.
    >If there any way that the router being confgured can use the same
    >dialer remote name or that is the rule one dialer remote name for one
    >dialer interface.
    >
    > (Vincent C Jones) wrote in message news:<cik1ac$oi$>...
    >> In article <>,
    >> norsyam <> wrote:
    >> >Hi guys,
    >> >
    >> >I have question regarding ISDN Backup. I try to configure ISDN Backup
    >> >which cater for two leased-line. What I means is that this ISDN backup
    >> >will backup for this two leased-line either one of the leased-line
    >> >down of both of the leased-line down. I use ISDN PRI as my backup.
    >> >
    >> >Does anybody try this type of setup.I can only manage to do ISDN
    >> >Backup one to one i.e. the ISDN Backup cover for one leased-line only.
    >> >
    >> >Could anyone help or give me some idea.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks in advance.

    Can you get around the limitation (which makes sense from the view point
    of MLPPP, otherwise, how would you know which dialer to bind the
    incoming call to?) by using the "ppp chap hostname" command in each
    dialer (so you have one pair of dialers associating router 1-A with
    router 2-A and the other pair associating router 1-B with router 2-B)?

    Vincent C Jones, Sep 28, 2004