ONE FROM THE HEART Theatrical re-release, and DVD!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Xenu's Sister, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
    is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
    city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.

    The theatrical release dates are here:

    http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/schedule.html

    Information about the DVD release is here:

    http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/news_dvd.html

    This film was unfairly lambasted when it was released but it's a
    wonderful, gorgous, fun film, and it deserves to be found by the
    audience who'll love it, much like Moulin Rouge luckily found the
    audience who loved it.

    (Yes, I know there are still people on these newsgroups who turn their
    noses up at it. This film is not for them, that's ok, but judge for
    yourself, and don't let those opinions sway you. If you loved Moulin
    Rouge, think of the people who hated it. Would you take a negative
    opinion from someone who hated it seriously? It's fine if they don't
    like it, but the movie wasn't made for those types of people.)
    Xenu's Sister, Nov 15, 2003

  2. Xenu's Sister

    Amps Guest

    "Xenu's Sister" <> wrote in message
    > One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
    > is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
    > city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.

    Anything with Tom Waits involved is alright with me.
    Amps, Nov 15, 2003

  3. Xenu's Sister wrote:

    > One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
    > is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
    > city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.
    >
    > The theatrical release dates are here:
    >
    > http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/schedule.html
    >

    > Information about the DVD release is here:
    >
    > http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/news_dvd.html
    >

    > This film was unfairly lambasted when it was released but it's a
    > wonderful, gorgous, fun film, and it deserves to be found by the
    > audience who'll love it, much like Moulin Rouge luckily found the
    > audience who loved it.
    >
    > (Yes, I know there are still people on these newsgroups who turn their
    > noses up at it. This film is not for them, that's ok, but judge for
    > yourself, and don't let those opinions sway you. If you loved Moulin
    > Rouge, think of the people who hated it. Would you take a negative
    > opinion from someone who hated it seriously? It's fine if they don't
    > like it, but the movie wasn't made for those types of people.)

    The movie was, in my view, justifiably damned on release. Unlike Moulin
    Rouge, which was unjustifiably praised. Frankly, I can't see the point
    of releasing this theatrically. It's really nothing like Moulin Rouge
    and I can imagine it flopping all over again for a new audience.
    Tallulah Blanket, Nov 15, 2003
  4. In article <BCftb.1045$>,
    says...

    > "Xenu's Sister" <> wrote in message
    > > One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
    > > is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
    > > city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.
    > >

    > Anything with Tom Waits involved is alright with me.

    This film was particularly significant for Waits fans because it was on
    the set that he met his future wife, Kathleen Brennan -- she's been a
    major influence on his work (& has co-written much of it) from
    "Swordfishtrombones" onward.

    Chris, Tom fanatic

    --
    CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD
    Toronto, Canada

    "Where did this idea come from that everybody deserves
    free education, free medical care, free whatever?
    It comes from Moscow, from Russia. It comes straight
    out of the pit of hell."
    ~ Texas Rep. Debbie Riddle
    Chris Moorehead, Nov 15, 2003
  5. Amps wrote:

    > "Xenu's Sister" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
    >>is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
    >>city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.

    > Anything with Tom Waits involved is alright with me.

    As long as it's not a musical.

    Derek Janssen (now, "Bram Stoker's Dracula", OTOH)
    Derek Janssen, Nov 15, 2003
  6. Tallulah Blanket wrote:

    > Xenu's Sister wrote:
    >
    >> One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
    >> is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
    >> city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.
    >>
    >> The theatrical release dates are here:
    >>
    >> http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/schedule.html
    >>

    >> Information about the DVD release is here:
    >>
    >> http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/news_dvd.html
    >>

    >> This film was unfairly lambasted when it was released but it's a
    >> wonderful, gorgous, fun film, and it deserves to be found by the
    >> audience who'll love it, much like Moulin Rouge luckily found the
    >> audience who loved it.
    >>
    >> (Yes, I know there are still people on these newsgroups who turn their
    >> noses up at it. This film is not for them, that's ok, but judge for
    >> yourself, and don't let those opinions sway you. If you loved Moulin
    >> Rouge, think of the people who hated it.

    (You know...The heterosexual ones.)

    >> Would you take a negative
    >> opinion from someone who hated it seriously?

    ....Would you let someone who seriously liked it babysit your children? ;)

    > It's fine if they don't
    >> like it, but the movie wasn't made for those types of people.)

    > The movie was, in my view, justifiably damned on release. Unlike Moulin
    > Rouge, which was unjustifiably praised. Frankly, I can't see the point
    > of releasing this theatrically. It's really nothing like Moulin Rouge
    > and I can imagine it flopping all over again for a new audience.

    Yes, to be fair, people actually DID sing in "Moulin"--

    However, even those who [ahem] *liked* "Moulin" [repeats hinting "And we
    know who THEY are, don't we, kiddies?" cough], and its Ecstacy-addled
    ADD style, may both be disappointed that all they get for their troubles
    are Natassja Kinski, Raul Julia, Waits groaning, Teri Garr as a romantic
    lead, five total minutes of discernible dancing, and a bunch o' gorgeous
    looking studio backdrops that were Coppola's entire be-and-end-all
    justification for making the project.

    ....Yes, ladies and gentlemen: An "art" musical that actually makes
    "Moulin" look GOOD. By comparison.

    Derek Janssen (besides, if it was up to 80's musicals, wouldn't they be
    happier watching "Yentl"?)
    Derek Janssen, Nov 15, 2003
  7. On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:38:07 -0800, Derek Janssen <>
    wrote:

    >Tallulah Blanket wrote:
    >
    >> Xenu's Sister wrote:
    >>
    >>> One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
    >>> is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
    >>> city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.
    >>>
    >>> The theatrical release dates are here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/schedule.html
    >>>

    >>> Information about the DVD release is here:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/news_dvd.html
    >>>

    >>> This film was unfairly lambasted when it was released but it's a
    >>> wonderful, gorgous, fun film, and it deserves to be found by the
    >>> audience who'll love it, much like Moulin Rouge luckily found the
    >>> audience who loved it.
    >>>
    >>> (Yes, I know there are still people on these newsgroups who turn their
    >>> noses up at it. This film is not for them, that's ok, but judge for
    >>> yourself, and don't let those opinions sway you. If you loved Moulin
    >>> Rouge, think of the people who hated it.

    >(You know...The heterosexual ones.)
    >
    >>> Would you take a negative
    >>> opinion from someone who hated it seriously?

    >...Would you let someone who seriously liked it babysit your children? ;)
    >
    >> It's fine if they don't
    >>> like it, but the movie wasn't made for those types of people.)

    >> The movie was, in my view, justifiably damned on release. Unlike Moulin
    >> Rouge, which was unjustifiably praised. Frankly, I can't see the point
    >> of releasing this theatrically. It's really nothing like Moulin Rouge
    >> and I can imagine it flopping all over again for a new audience.

    >Yes, to be fair, people actually DID sing in "Moulin"--
    >
    >However, even those who [ahem] *liked* "Moulin" [repeats hinting "And we
    >know who THEY are, don't we, kiddies?" cough], and its Ecstacy-addled
    >ADD style, may both be disappointed that all they get for their troubles
    >are Natassja Kinski, Raul Julia, Waits groaning, Teri Garr as a romantic
    >lead, five total minutes of discernible dancing, and a bunch o' gorgeous
    >looking studio backdrops that were Coppola's entire be-and-end-all
    >justification for making the project.

    Natassja Kinksi in her first feature role, briefly topless, Terri Garr
    naked (she has a nice bod) a unique soundtrack... Interesting fake
    sets (though I think the plane poster at the airport is too much)
    Wonderful use of colours and framing...This has been one of my
    all-time favourite movies ever since I got the American and Japanese
    laserdiscs in the mid-80's. Oh to FINALLY see it in widescreen!
    Along with the release of Mamoulian's "Applause" and the start
    (hopefully) of the Warner cartoons on DVD, this is the best video
    release news I've heard in years..

    >...Yes, ladies and gentlemen: An "art" musical that actually makes
    >"Moulin" look GOOD. By comparison.

    Some people just don't appreciate something that's way different... .

    Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Nov 15, 2003
  8. Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    > On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:38:07 -0800, Derek Janssen <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > Natassja Kinksi in her first feature role, briefly topless, Terri Garr
    > naked (she has a nice bod)

    Who cares about the movie, as long as the chicks take their tops off, right?

    a unique soundtrack... Interesting fake
    > sets (though I think the plane poster at the airport is too much)
    > Wonderful use of colours and framing...This has been one of my
    > all-time favourite movies ever since I got the American and Japanese
    > laserdiscs in the mid-80's. Oh to FINALLY see it in widescreen!

    The DVD won't be in widescreen. It will be 1.37:1. And why? Because
    that was the way it was filmed and the way it was first projected in
    cinemas. I hate this film and even I know that. Some fan you must be.

    >>...Yes, ladies and gentlemen: An "art" musical that actually makes
    >>"Moulin" look GOOD. By comparison.

    > Some people just don't appreciate something that's way different... .

    Yes, we can appreciate it. It just happens to be a lousy movie, is all.
    Tell me the name of a movie *you* don't appreciate, and I'll give you
    the same condescending response.
    Tallulah Blanket, Nov 15, 2003
  9. Tallulah Blanket wrote:

    > Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:38:07 -0800, Derek Janssen <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> Natassja Kinksi in her first feature role, briefly topless, Terri Garr
    >> naked (she has a nice bod)

    > Who cares about the movie, as long as the chicks take their tops off,
    > right?
    >
    > a unique soundtrack... Interesting fake
    >
    >> sets (though I think the plane poster at the airport is too much)
    >> Wonderful use of colours and framing...This has been one of my
    >> all-time favourite movies ever since I got the American and Japanese
    >> laserdiscs in the mid-80's. Oh to FINALLY see it in widescreen!

    > The DVD won't be in widescreen. It will be 1.37:1. And why? Because
    > that was the way it was filmed and the way it was first projected in
    > cinemas. I hate this film and even I know that. Some fan you must be.
    >
    >>> ...Yes, ladies and gentlemen: An "art" musical that actually makes
    >>> "Moulin" look GOOD. By comparison.

    >> Some people just don't appreciate something that's way different... .
    >>

    > Yes, we can appreciate it. It just happens to be a lousy movie, is all.
    > Tell me the name of a movie *you* don't appreciate, and I'll give you
    > the same condescending response.

    Oh, and before the whining starts about my being wrong on the aspect
    ratio, take a read of this:

    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...&threadid=158797&highlight=one from the heart

    or visit:

    http://www.storarovittorio.com/versinglese/16univisiuming/univ1.html
    Tallulah Blanket, Nov 15, 2003
  10. On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:31:12 GMT, Tallulah Blanket
    <> wrote:

    >Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:38:07 -0800, Derek Janssen <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> Natassja Kinksi in her first feature role, briefly topless, Terri Garr
    >> naked (she has a nice bod)

    >Who cares about the movie, as long as the chicks take their tops off, right?

    I've been a fan of, and have appreciated, Terri Garr since her
    appearance in Star Trek. Her scenes in "One from the Heart" are part
    of my fascination with her work.

    >a unique soundtrack... Interesting fake
    >> sets (though I think the plane poster at the airport is too much)
    >> Wonderful use of colours and framing...This has been one of my
    >> all-time favourite movies ever since I got the American and Japanese
    >> laserdiscs in the mid-80's. Oh to FINALLY see it in widescreen!

    >The DVD won't be in widescreen. It will be 1.37:1. And why? Because
    >that was the way it was filmed and the way it was first projected in
    >cinemas. I hate this film and even I know that. Some fan you must be.

    It is most DEFINITELY not 1:1.37. Look at the title credits, and the
    framing of the musical scenes where much of the action is cut off, and
    the junkyard shots where Kinski and Forrest are outside the frame on
    either side during one shot. Also I have the Coppola autobiography
    with a whole chapter devoted to this film, and he discusses his
    "technirama miracle" with the wonderful work of Vittorio Storaro (Last
    Tango in Paris.) generally acknowledged to be the best cinematographer
    in the business at the time. Where on earth did you get that
    misinformation from?

    >>>...Yes, ladies and gentlemen: An "art" musical that actually makes
    >>>"Moulin" look GOOD. By comparison.

    >> Some people just don't appreciate something that's way different... .
    >>

    >Yes, we can appreciate it. It just happens to be a lousy movie, is all.
    > Tell me the name of a movie *you* don't appreciate, and I'll give you
    >the same condescending response.

    My preference is for silent film, late 1920's talkies, 1930's films in
    general, Musicals, and Film Noir. There aren't that many "modern"
    films that I like, apart from T2, a couple of Arnie's other films, a
    few romantic dramas such as "A Walk on the Moon' and just about
    anything else with Diane Lane, and with Tilda Swinton, Robert DeNiro,
    or Harvey Kietel. And a couple of "off the wall" titles like "One from
    the Heart" and "Cecil B. Demented." Also some French and British film
    is on my radar. I LOVE Will Hay and Norman Wisdom.

    The appreciation of film is not a personality contest or Call to Arms,
    methinks 'tis YOU who lacks the spirit.

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Nov 15, 2003
  11. On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:51:39 GMT, Tallulah Blanket
    <> wrote:

    >Tallulah Blanket wrote:
    >
    >> Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:38:07 -0800, Derek Janssen <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Natassja Kinksi in her first feature role, briefly topless, Terri Garr
    >>> naked (she has a nice bod)

    >> Who cares about the movie, as long as the chicks take their tops off,
    >> right?
    >>
    >> a unique soundtrack... Interesting fake
    >>
    >>> sets (though I think the plane poster at the airport is too much)
    >>> Wonderful use of colours and framing...This has been one of my
    >>> all-time favourite movies ever since I got the American and Japanese
    >>> laserdiscs in the mid-80's. Oh to FINALLY see it in widescreen!

    >> The DVD won't be in widescreen. It will be 1.37:1. And why? Because
    >> that was the way it was filmed and the way it was first projected in
    >> cinemas. I hate this film and even I know that. Some fan you must be.

    >>> Some people just don't appreciate something that's way different... .
    >>>

    >> Yes, we can appreciate it. It just happens to be a lousy movie, is all.
    >> Tell me the name of a movie *you* don't appreciate, and I'll give you
    >> the same condescending response.
    >>

    >Oh, and before the whining starts about my being wrong on the aspect
    >ratio, take a read of this:
    >
    >http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...&threadid=158797&highlight=one from the heart
    >
    >or visit:
    >
    >http://www.storarovittorio.com/versinglese/16univisiuming/univ1.html

    This shows more to the sides than the laserdisc, so The DVD will still
    be an improvment over what we've seen before now. And the credits and
    title shots in widescreen still need to be explained, and Coppola's
    references in his book to how the film was shot.

    . Steve .
    Steve(JazzHunter), Nov 15, 2003
  12. On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 03:02:56 -0500, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:51:39 GMT, Tallulah Blanket
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Tallulah Blanket wrote:
    >>
    >>.This has been one of my
    >>>

    >>> The DVD won't be in widescreen. It will be 1.37:1. And why? Because
    >>> that was the way it was filmed and the way it was first projected in
    >>> cinemas. I hate this film and even I know that. Some fan you must be.
    >>>

    >>Oh, and before the whining starts about my being wrong on the aspect
    >>ratio, take a read of this:
    >>
    >>http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...&threadid=158797&highlight=one from the heart
    >>
    >>or visit:
    >>
    >>http://www.storarovittorio.com/versinglese/16univisiuming/univ1.html

    >This shows more to the sides than the laserdisc, so The DVD will still
    >be an improvment over what we've seen before now. And the credits and
    >title shots in widescreen still need to be explained, and Coppola's
    >references in his book to how the film was shot.

    Ok, I was wrong about the Apsect ratio, though 35mm is still wider
    than the video screen, and probably the laserdiscs were cropped too
    tightly. Which brings up the reason I'm thankful for the URL's. The
    two laserdsics I have are different versions of the film, one is
    longer, the other has a couple of better takes, thus if this DVD is a
    new "Best" verison of the film then it will be both extended and with
    the best takes. Great!

    And note that a lot of people in these chat forums DO like the film...

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Nov 15, 2003
  13. Xenu's Sister

    monsieurblob Guest

    (Xenu's Sister) wrote in message news:<>...
    > One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
    > is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
    > city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.
    >
    > The theatrical release dates are here:
    >
    > http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/schedule.html
    >

    > Information about the DVD release is here:
    >
    > http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/news_dvd.html
    >

    > This film was unfairly lambasted when it was released but it's a
    > wonderful, gorgous, fun film, and it deserves to be found by the
    > audience who'll love it, much like Moulin Rouge luckily found the
    > audience who loved it.
    >
    > (Yes, I know there are still people on these newsgroups who turn their
    > noses up at it. This film is not for them, that's ok, but judge for
    > yourself, and don't let those opinions sway you. If you loved Moulin
    > Rouge, think of the people who hated it. Would you take a negative
    > opinion from someone who hated it seriously? It's fine if they don't
    > like it, but the movie wasn't made for those types of people.)

    one from the heart is a movie i've always wanted to see, and i would
    probably like, not for merit, which is a virtuous way of seeing and
    criticising movies, but for pleasure, which is a more sort of
    phenomenological thing, it is virtueless, but then geez do we really
    need aristotle with the movies? when so many millions are thrown onto
    making a set, i have to see it. and when one bets so strongly for a
    set, it is so much better than location shooting. hope its released in
    europe
    monsieurblob, Nov 15, 2003
  14. Chris Moorehead <> wrote:

    > This film was particularly significant for Waits fans because it was on
    > the set that he met his future wife, Kathleen Brennan

    Why should a fan of Waits care about that?

    --
    gr,
    Martin Koolhoven
    Martin Koolhoven, Nov 15, 2003
  15. Xenu's Sister

    yachtboy! Guest

    On 14 Nov 2003 17:25:18 -0800, (Xenu's Sister) wrote:

    >One of my favorite films, Francis Ford Coppola's ONE FROM THE HEART,
    >is going to be re-released to the theaters (Nov-Jan, depending on the
    >city), and then on DVD in a special 2-disk edition January 27.
    >
    >The theatrical release dates are here:
    >
    >http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/schedule.html
    >

    >Information about the DVD release is here:
    >
    >http://www.onefromtheheartmovie.com/news_dvd.html

    I have been waiting to see this ever since I read a review in either Time
    or Newsweek (hey, it;s been 20 years).
    Almost went to see it in San Francisco, (we were on vacation), but my ex
    and I decided to argue instead.
    I cannot wait.
    Thanks for the good news!

    ==========
    "Being diabetic is alot like having an un-invited
    guest at a picnic, who keeps pointing out the potato
    salad may have gone bad."--W.B. Willis

    "Destiny has a strange sense of humor..." K. Honeycutt
    ----------
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/psychedelic.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/swl_yb400pe/slinkypage.html

    "He not busy being born is busy dying..." B. Dylan

    =======================
    yachtboy!, Nov 15, 2003
  16. Xenu's Sister

    Koen Guest

    ONE FROM THE HEART is definitly NOT widescreen. It is 1,37. I
    projected a vintage release print of this film last summer. We did
    some research into the aspect ratio. Even the Variety review from
    stated explicitly the aspect ratio as 1,37.
    Screening the print took all further doubts away.

    KOen

    Koen, Nov 15, 2003
  17. Xenu's Sister

    madkevin Guest

    "Martin Koolhoven" <> wrote in message
    > Chris Moorehead <> wrote:
    >
    > > This film was particularly significant for Waits fans because it was on
    > > the set that he met his future wife, Kathleen Brennan

    > Why should a fan of Waits care about that?

    She co-writes most of his material.

    Kevin "The Black Rider" Cogliano
    madkevin, Nov 15, 2003
  18. In article <>,
    says...

    > "Martin Koolhoven" <> wrote in message
    > > Chris Moorehead <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > This film was particularly significant for Waits fans because it was on
    > > > the set that he met his future wife, Kathleen Brennan

    > > Why should a fan of Waits care about that?

    > She co-writes most of his material.

    He moved into the truly ground-breaking stage of his career with her
    assistance -- the first album on which she collaborated was
    "Swordfishtrombones".

    I always wondered what Tom & Kathleen's first date must have been
    like...

    Chris

    --
    CHRISTOPHER J. MOOREHEAD
    Toronto, Canada

    "The trouble with our Texas Baptists is that we do not
    hold them under water long enough."
    ~ William Brann, later shot by an irate Baptist
    Chris Moorehead, Nov 15, 2003
  19. On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:19:15 +0100, Koen <> wrote:

    >ONE FROM THE HEART is definitly NOT widescreen. It is 1,37. I
    >projected a vintage release print of this film last summer. We did
    >some research into the aspect ratio. Even the Variety review from
    >stated explicitly the aspect ratio as 1,37.
    >Screening the print took all further doubts away.

    Yes, I was apparently wrong about that. However I've had the
    laserdisc for twenty years and some of the shots still bug me. It's
    obvious that the frame was cropped too much, at top and bottom, and
    even more at the sides. This becomes apparent when the image pulls
    out for closing credits. I'm looking forward to seeing a
    Coppola-supervised transfer of this film which will show a sliver of
    black bars at top and bottom and hopefully the actors will remain in
    frame while they're talking to each other... <g>

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Nov 15, 2003
  20. Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 07:31:12 GMT, Tallulah Blanket
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Steve(JazzHunter) wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:38:07 -0800, Derek Janssen <>
    >>>wrote:
    >>>

    >>>Natassja Kinksi in her first feature role, briefly topless, Terri Garr
    >>>naked (she has a nice bod)

    >>Who cares about the movie, as long as the chicks take their tops off, right?

    > I've been a fan of, and have appreciated, Terri Garr since her
    > appearance in Star Trek. Her scenes in "One from the Heart" are part
    > of my fascination with her work.
    >
    >>a unique soundtrack... Interesting fake
    >>
    >>>sets (though I think the plane poster at the airport is too much)
    >>>Wonderful use of colours and framing...This has been one of my
    >>>all-time favourite movies ever since I got the American and Japanese
    >>>laserdiscs in the mid-80's. Oh to FINALLY see it in widescreen!

    >>The DVD won't be in widescreen. It will be 1.37:1. And why? Because
    >>that was the way it was filmed and the way it was first projected in
    >>cinemas. I hate this film and even I know that. Some fan you must be.

    > It is most DEFINITELY not 1:1.37.

    Sorry, dear. Try again.

    Look at the title credits, and the
    > framing of the musical scenes where much of the action is cut off, and
    > the junkyard shots where Kinski and Forrest are outside the frame on
    > either side during one shot. Also I have the Coppola autobiography
    > with a whole chapter devoted to this film, and he discusses his
    > "technirama miracle" with the wonderful work of Vittorio Storaro (Last
    > Tango in Paris.) generally acknowledged to be the best cinematographer
    > in the business at the time. Where on earth did you get that
    > misinformation from?

    From the DOP himself.

    >>>Some people just don't appreciate something that's way different... .
    >>>

    >>Yes, we can appreciate it. It just happens to be a lousy movie, is all.
    >> Tell me the name of a movie *you* don't appreciate, and I'll give you
    >>the same condescending response.

    > My preference is for silent film, late 1920's talkies, 1930's films in
    > general, Musicals, and Film Noir. There aren't that many "modern"
    > films that I like, apart from T2, a couple of Arnie's other films, a
    > few romantic dramas such as "A Walk on the Moon' and just about
    > anything else with Diane Lane, and with Tilda Swinton, Robert DeNiro,
    > or Harvey Kietel. And a couple of "off the wall" titles like "One from
    > the Heart" and "Cecil B. Demented." Also some French and British film
    > is on my radar. I LOVE Will Hay and Norman Wisdom.

    Good for you.

    > The appreciation of film is not a personality contest or Call to Arms,
    > methinks 'tis YOU who lacks the spirit.

    Oh, please. You were the one who started the derogatory comments
    towards people who didn't like this movie.
    Tallulah Blanket, Nov 15, 2003