    Okmok Volcano, in Alaska's Aleutian Islands, released a continuous plume
    of ash and steam in early July 2008.
    * http://naturalhazards.nasa.gov/shownh.php3?img_id=14949
    *** MODIS(Terra) image from Jul 13 2008 (Posted on Jul 14 2008 10:48AM)

    David J Taylor, Jul 15, 2008

  2. Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    > "David J Taylor"
    > <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    >> -- VOLCANO (1 updated events, 1 new images) --
    >>
    >> OKMOK VOLCANO ERUPTS
    >> Okmok Volcano, in Alaska's Aleutian Islands, released a continuous
    >> plume of ash and steam in early July 2008.
    >> * http://naturalhazards.nasa.gov/shownh.php3?img_id=14949
    >> *** MODIS(Terra) image from Jul 13 2008 (Posted on Jul 14 2008
    >> 10:48AM)

    > That's, errrr, just over the horizon... about 1300
    > miles south!
    >
    > Regardless of the distance though, the airborne ash will
    > probably be mostly deposited in the Arctic more than
    > anywhere else with the exception of the area immediately
    > in the neighborhood.

    Thanks for your observations. What latitude are you at, Floyd?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 16, 2008

  3. Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    []
    > 71-17-07N 156-45-57W, which is relatively just about the
    > same as the northern part of Norway or the middle of
    > Greenland. We are a bit colder here, because there is
    > no warming ocean current, just the frozen Arctic Ocean.
    >
    > About the same distance (1300 miles) from the North Pole
    > as we are from that volcano, we are more than 300 miles
    > north of the Arctic Circle.

    []

    Floyd,

    I delayed in replying because I wanted to take in what you write a little
    better.

    Many thanks for that, and for your fascinating description of the weather
    and current effects. Yes, I can appreciate that the volcano is a long way
    away! We often travel to Scandinavia, for me most often in the summer, so
    I always remember Norway as a hot and sunny climate, sometimes rainy - of
    course, and as the land of the midnight sun. The Gulf stream is a
    marvellous moderator.

    Having said that, we do hope to travel to Antarctica next year, where the
    climate should be a little more polar. I have a friend in Canada where
    they have wonderful summers, but very cold and continental climate
    winters - something which hardly ever happens here in Edinburgh (56
    north).

    By the way - I put those co-ordiantes into Google Earth, and it seems that
    you must live on the runway (if I did the conversion correctly).

    lat="71.2852778" lon="-156.7658333"

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 18, 2008
  4. David J Taylor

    Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:36:43 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >By the way - I put those co-ordiantes into Google Earth, and it seems that
    >you must live on the runway (if I did the conversion correctly).
    >
    > lat="71.2852778" lon="-156.7658333"

    David, fyi no need to convert. Just copy and paste directly.

    , Jul 18, 2008
  5. In article <%T1gk.29147$>,
    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    > By the way - I put those co-ordiantes into Google Earth, and it seems that
    > you must live on the runway (if I did the conversion correctly).
    >
    > lat="71.2852778" lon="-156.7658333"
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Just a note here, but out in the bush of alaska, it is very common for
    the airstrip, for a small community, to be the Main Road down thru the
    middle of the town. This was almost always the case 20 years ago, but
    slowly has been changing, as small communities have received grants from
    the State and Feds, to build suitable airstrips a bit farther away from
    town, as air traffic has increased.

    --
    Bruce in alaska
    add <path> after <fast> to reply

    Bruce in alaska, Jul 19, 2008
  6. David J Taylor

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
    : > By the way - I put those co-ordiantes into Google Earth, and it seems
    : > that you must live on the runway (if I did the conversion correctly).
    : >
    : > lat="71.2852778" lon="-156.7658333"
    : >
    : > Cheers,
    : > David
    :
    : Just a note here, but out in the bush of alaska, it is very common
    : for the airstrip, for a small community, to be the Main Road down
    : thru the middle of the town. This was almost always the case 20
    : years ago, but slowly has been changing, as small communities have
    : received grants from the State and Feds, to build suitable airstrips
    : a bit farther away from town, as air traffic has increased.

    Wouldn't it be cheaper to move the road, rather than the airstrip?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Jul 19, 2008
  7. wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:36:43 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J
    > Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> By the way - I put those co-ordiantes into Google Earth, and it
    >> seems that you must live on the runway (if I did the conversion
    >> correctly).
    >>
    >> lat="71.2852778" lon="-156.7658333"

    > David, fyi no need to convert. Just copy and paste directly.

    Thanks for that suggestion, me.

    Using: 71-17-07N 156-45-57W
    I get to 2301 Peger Road, Fairbanks, Alaska. A crossroads.

    Using: 71.2852778N 156.7658333W
    I get to Barrow, Alaska. On the runway (which looks like it has never
    been a main road!).

    Two different place. So which is it?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 19, 2008
  8. David J Taylor wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:36:43 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J
    >> Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> By the way - I put those co-ordiantes into Google Earth, and it
    >>> seems that you must live on the runway (if I did the conversion
    >>> correctly).
    >>>
    >>> lat="71.2852778" lon="-156.7658333"

    >> David, fyi no need to convert. Just copy and paste directly.

    > Thanks for that suggestion, me.
    >
    > Using: 71-17-07N 156-45-57W
    > I get to 2301 Peger Road, Fairbanks, Alaska. A crossroads.
    >
    > Using: 71.2852778N 156.7658333W
    > I get to Barrow, Alaska. On the runway (which looks like it has
    > never been a main road!).
    >
    > Two different place. So which is it?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Obviously Barrow, from a later answer.....

    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 19, 2008
  9. Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
    []
    > Dead on! All I did was look up the co-ordinates listed
    > on the weather report. If you want even closer,
    > 71-17-26N 156-47-20W puts it smack in the middle of a
    > street intersection that is within a stone's throw of my
    > front porch.
    >
    > If you set the "eye alt" to 1200 feet or higher you can
    > see that I'm a very short walk to the ocean, north west
    > of me. At anything more than about 4500 feet you can
    > see the proximity to the runway, which is pretty much
    > the southern edge of town.

    Floyd,

    Thanks for your comments on the weather. Yes, the greater extremes in
    temperature are exactly what I would associate with a "continental
    climate" such as that you described in Fairbanks. I like the idea of
    being able to walk down to the beach. I also note your comments that
    rather below freezing is more acceptable than being at or near freezing,
    and I feel the same way. Crisp but sunny days I enjoy.

    The nearest I've been to anywhere like that is Svalbard (Spitsbergen)
    where a summer's day might be 5C, but not as cold as Barrow in the Winter.
    While there, we got up to 80 degrees North in a regular small ship,
    showing what a moderating influence the Gulf stream has...

    http://www.norway.mid.ru/sp_eng.html

    78.218006N 15.636074E Eye height 2.5km

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 19, 2008
  10. David J Taylor

    Guest

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 06:27:39 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    >Obviously Barrow, from a later answer.....

    My bad, obviously I didn't do due diligence as you did. Sorry for the bad
    info.

    , Jul 24, 2008
  11. wrote:
    > On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 06:27:39 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J
    > Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> Obviously Barrow, from a later answer.....

    > My bad, obviously I didn't do due diligence as you did. Sorry for the
    > bad info.

    It probably added to the interest of the thread!

    Thanks,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jul 24, 2008