One Eyed Jacks DVD - Diamond Entertainment version, what sort of "widescreen" is it?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dan_Musicant, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Dan_Musicant

    Dan_Musicant Guest

    DVD Profiler has about 5 versions of OEJ, by no means all of them, as I
    gather. A couple of the versions they have in their database indicate
    widescreen, one being 1.85:1 and the other 2.35:1, that evidently being
    the Diamond Entertainment version. Now, I've read a LOT of posts
    concerning the various DVD versions of OEJ, and it appears that the
    concensus is that the Diamond Entertainment version, while nothing to
    brag about, is the closest to OK. Nobody has said anything about the
    precise aspect ratio - they only indicate that it is widescreen. Is it
    really 2.35:1? Seems unlikely, as it was Vistavision, and it's thought
    that it was most likely intended to be viewed in 1.85:1. See second post
    in this thread:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...axd=9&as_maxm=7&as_maxy=1999&lr=lang_en&hl=en
    Dan_Musicant, Jul 9, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Dan_Musicant wrote:

    > DVD Profiler has about 5 versions of OEJ, by no means all of them, as I
    > gather. A couple of the versions they have in their database indicate
    > widescreen, one being 1.85:1 and the other 2.35:1, that evidently being
    > the Diamond Entertainment version. Now, I've read a LOT of posts
    > concerning the various DVD versions of OEJ, and it appears that the
    > concensus is that the Diamond Entertainment version, while nothing to
    > brag about, is the closest to OK. Nobody has said anything about the
    > precise aspect ratio - they only indicate that it is widescreen. Is it
    > really 2.35:1? Seems unlikely, as it was Vistavision, and it's thought
    > that it was most likely intended to be viewed in 1.85:1.


    I just watched this the other day, in a 1.85:1 transfer from Platinum Home
    Entertainment. It's a decent enough copy, looks like it came off a
    widescreen laserdisc. Looks about as good as a DVD I might make at home
    off a laserdisc, anyway.

    I've compared a few of these. The Platinum version (in a clear, hard
    plastic case) is the best I've seen yet. Far better than the Front Row
    Entertainment release, and assuming there *is* a Madacy copy, it's
    probably better off avoided (if only for th epure pleasure of not giving
    money to Madacy).

    swac
    Stephen Cooke, Jul 9, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dan_Musicant

    User102154 Guest

    I have the Platinum version and it is pretty good, much better then vhs quality
    anyway, very few artifacts and easily watchable. It is widescreen but
    non-anamorphic. I have not viewed the other version, but knowing that none of
    them are exactly pristine, I am happy with this version and would recommend it
    until something better comes along.
    User102154, Jul 9, 2004
    #3
  4. On 9 Jul 2004, User102154 wrote:

    > I have the Platinum version and it is pretty good, much better then vhs quality
    > anyway, very few artifacts and easily watchable. It is widescreen but
    > non-anamorphic. I have not viewed the other version, but knowing that none of
    > them are exactly pristine, I am happy with this version and would recommend it
    > until something better comes along.


    Definitely better than VHS, although it would make sense for Paramount to
    get a decent transfer of this out there, now that Brando's been in the
    news so much. While watching the Platinum copy, I kept thinking "Wow,
    imagine how great this would look if someone actually did a professional
    transfer of it..." VistaVision has the potential for a great looking
    image, although considering the lacklustre job Paramount did on To Catch A
    Thief, maybe I shouldn't hold my breath.

    swac
    Stephen Cooke, Jul 9, 2004
    #4
  5. Dan_Musicant

    Dan_Musicant Guest

    On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:17:19 -0300, Stephen Cooke <>
    wrote:

    :
    :On 9 Jul 2004, User102154 wrote:
    :
    :> I have the Platinum version and it is pretty good, much better then vhs quality
    :> anyway, very few artifacts and easily watchable. It is widescreen but
    :> non-anamorphic. I have not viewed the other version, but knowing that none of
    :> them are exactly pristine, I am happy with this version and would recommend it
    :> until something better comes along.
    :
    :Definitely better than VHS, although it would make sense for Paramount to
    :get a decent transfer of this out there, now that Brando's been in the
    :news so much. While watching the Platinum copy, I kept thinking "Wow,
    :imagine how great this would look if someone actually did a professional
    :transfer of it..." VistaVision has the potential for a great looking
    :image, although considering the lacklustre job Paramount did on To Catch A
    :Thief, maybe I shouldn't hold my breath.
    :
    :swac

    I got my Diamond Entertainment version today and watched the first 20
    minutes of it. I was disappointed (but not surprised) to find that it's
    non-anamorphic. The quality is so so at best. Didn't notice any terrible
    problems in those first 20 minutes. I'm not really sure that it's better
    than an SVHS treatment would be, to be honest. Doubtful. It IS 1.85:1,
    not the 2.35:1 that DVD Profiler said it was, and this is what I
    expected.

    Maybe the Platinum version is better quality, but I don't think I'd
    consider buying another verion unless Paramount puts out an anamorphic
    reproduction on DVD. That would probably be a real significant
    improvement.

    Dan
    Dan_Musicant, Jul 20, 2004
    #5
  6. On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Dan_Musicant wrote:

    > Maybe the Platinum version is better quality, but I don't think I'd
    > consider buying another verion unless Paramount puts out an anamorphic
    > reproduction on DVD. That would probably be a real significant
    > improvement.


    Basically, the Platinum version looks about as good as a DVD you'd make on
    a home computer using the widescreen laserdisc. Lord knows how this became
    public domain, but I'm hoping Paramount still has original
    VistaVision elements on this and could do a spectacular anamorphic
    transfer.

    Then again, hearing Bob Harris talk about the horrible condition of To
    Catch a Thief elements, which was made only a few years before, maybe I
    shouldn't get my hopes up.

    swac
    Stephen Cooke, Jul 21, 2004
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ron Natalie
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    509
    Ron Natalie
    Feb 2, 2006
  2. lsj7

    Brown-eyed HandsomeMan, er, computer..

    lsj7, Nov 22, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    492
  3. anthony
    Replies:
    26
    Views:
    1,179
    Scott Baker
    Jun 28, 2005
  4. ~~NoMad~~

    One-Eyed Monsters

    ~~NoMad~~, Aug 22, 2008, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    322
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    Aug 24, 2008
  5. comsciepartner
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    831
    comsciepartner
    Oct 6, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page