    Any ideas are welcome :)

    Cheers,
    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Stephen Williams

    Richard Guest

    Stephen Williams wrote:
    > Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same email
    > account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on the
    > second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even read) on
    > the first computer.
    >
    > Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave the
    > email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from the
    > server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and does
    > not actually synchronize.
    >
    > I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do what
    > I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.

    imap is the only way I can think of that will allow this. Most cheap web/email
    hosts give imap access, but I dont know of any NZ isp that does.

    Imap is great how what you read in the web mail is then reflected in your mail
    program.

    Richard, Jul 5, 2005

  3. Stephen Williams

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:51:45 +1200, Stephen Williams wrote:

    > I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do
    > what I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.

    Barring someone else coming up with a smart idea, it seems like IMAP is
    probably the only realistic way of doing this.

    You'd probably need to test out whether your combination of client and
    server handle two simultaneous clients properly and how well they update
    message status etc. It should work ok in most cases though.

    Sillier option (that might not suit): How about using a GMail account?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jul 5, 2005
  4. Stephen Williams

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Richard <> wrote in news:42ca3336$:

    > imap is the only way I can think of that will allow this. Most cheap
    > web/email hosts give imap access, but I dont know of any NZ isp that
    > does.
    >
    > Imap is great how what you read in the web mail is then reflected in
    > your mail program.

    You could also setup an SME box and use that web mail interface.
    http://contribs.org/

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 5, 2005
  5. Stephen Williams

    Howard Guest

    > Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the
    same
    > email account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a
    > person on the second computer will know if a email has been replied
    > too (or even read) on the first computer.

    I do this between Mozilla on my Windows Box and & Thunderbird on my
    Linux Box.

    Make a dir shareable, and then point the client at it by going
    Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Accounting Settings | Server Settings | Local
    Directory | [DriveLetter]:\MozMail

    Howard, Jul 5, 2005
  6. "Howard" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the

    > same
    >> email account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a
    >> person on the second computer will know if a email has been replied
    >> too (or even read) on the first computer.

    > I do this between Mozilla on my Windows Box and & Thunderbird on my
    > Linux Box.
    >
    > Make a dir shareable, and then point the client at it by going
    > Edit | Mail & Newsgroup Accounting Settings | Server Settings | Local
    > Directory | [DriveLetter]:\MozMail

    Cool, i'll try that using Thunderbird on both boxes first.

    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Jul 5, 2005
  7. In article <42ca2e03$>, says...
    > Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same email
    > account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on the
    > second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even read) on
    > the first computer.
    >
    > Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave the
    > email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from the
    > server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and does
    > not actually synchronize.
    >
    > I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do what
    > I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.
    >
    > Any ideas are welcome :)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Steve

    What I have done in this situation is to set up Mercury32 with pop3
    client and imap server and smtp relay server. The pop3 client will
    collect the mail from your isp. The imap server will hold it on your
    server(machine) and all computers in your network can log into the imap
    server and manipulate the mail. Smtp server will field the mail from all
    computers on your network and forward them to isp's smtp server.
    If you are on dialup rather than continuous conneciton, you can also
    download the MerRi daemon for Mercury that will put the pop3 and smtp
    relay servers to sleep, wake them up when you are online, and put them
    back to sleep when you go offline. Which means the servers for the lan
    can stay up without the other parts of mercury causing dialup to start
    or creating error messages in the logs ...

    There is one known annoyance with this setup and that is the fact that,
    for some reason, the Mercury imap server is very slow to react when the
    login comes from 127.0.0.1 - I don't think that issue is resolved. It
    applies to pegasus mail at least, it may not happen if you use Outlook
    or Eudora; just not sure.
    I also don't know if Outlook is imap capable; Pegasus and Eudora
    certainly are, and i.i.r.c. so was Netscape's email client.

    If you are running Win98 there is yet another solution, but you would
    have to use Pegasus mail as a client: pmail can access its mail
    directory using unc paths \\machine\shared_drive\directory\~user.
    And Mercury can distribute mail the same way. Which means all computers
    on the network operate on the same files. Used that setup here for
    years.
    For some weird reason that setup does NOT work with WinXP - the network
    often crashes entirely and sometime the remote computer will lock up as
    well. Very strange considering how well it worked on Win9x.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Jul 5, 2005
  8. Stephen Williams

    PAM. Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > but I dont know of any NZ isp that does.

    Slingshot does

    PAM.

    PAM., Jul 5, 2005
  9. On Tue, 5 Jul 2005 18:51:45 +1200, "Stephen Williams"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same email
    >account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on the
    >second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even read) on
    >the first computer.
    >
    >Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave the
    >email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from the
    >server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and does
    >not actually synchronize.
    >
    >I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do what
    >I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.
    >
    >Any ideas are welcome :)

    YES use Imap

    Outlook does not properly support IMAP (sent items are not transmitted
    back to the server but are stored locally)
    You would need to set up a rule to ensure sent items are copied to the
    sent folder on the server

    FreedomChooser, Jul 6, 2005
  10. On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 19:10:45 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >Stephen Williams wrote:
    >> Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same email
    >> account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on the
    >> second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even read) on
    >> the first computer.
    >>
    >> Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave the
    >> email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from the
    >> server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and does
    >> not actually synchronize.
    >>
    >> I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do what
    >> I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.

    >imap is the only way I can think of that will allow this. Most cheap web/email
    >hosts give imap access, but I dont know of any NZ isp that does.

    Clear Net
    Godzone Internet Services
    others?

    FreedomChooser, Jul 6, 2005
  11. FreedomChooser wrote:
    >>imap is the only way I can think of that will allow this. Most cheap web/email
    >>hosts give imap access, but I dont know of any NZ isp that does.

    > Clear Net
    > Godzone Internet Services
    > others?

    synaptic...

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 6, 2005
  12. "Stephen Williams" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same
    > email account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on
    > the second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even
    > read) on the first computer.
    >
    > Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave
    > the email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from
    > the server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and
    > does not actually synchronize.
    >
    > I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do
    > what I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.
    >
    > Any ideas are welcome :)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Steve

    Thanks to everyone who answered.

    I will try imap. This customer uses Digiweb for their hosting, who support
    imap and it doesn't cost very much.

    Cheers,
    Steve

    Stephen Williams, Jul 6, 2005
  13. Stephen Williams

    Goalie Guest

    I can recommend Forte Agent. Go through Google and d'load the free prg. Only a few minutes then you'll know if it is
    for you.

    >"Stephen Williams" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, basically I want to be able to set up 2 computers to use the same
    >> email account. However, they have to be synchronized, so that a person on
    >> the second computer will know if a email has been replied too (or even
    >> read) on the first computer.
    >>
    >> Normally, using Outlook Express, i would just get one computer to leave
    >> the email on the server, and the other computer to delete the email from
    >> the server in 3 or 4 days. However, that is a cheap ass way to do it and
    >> does not actually synchronize.
    >>
    >> I didn't really want to run a server if I can help it, does Outlook do
    >> what I want. I've been reading up on imap, looks promising.
    >>
    >> Any ideas are welcome :)
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Steve

    >Thanks to everyone who answered.
    >
    >I will try imap. This customer uses Digiweb for their hosting, who support
    >imap and it doesn't cost very much.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >Steve

    Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue

    Goalie, Jul 7, 2005
  14. In article <>,
    Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >There is one known annoyance with this setup and that is the fact that,
    >for some reason, the Mercury imap server is very slow to react when the
    >login comes from 127.0.0.1...

    Anything to do with reverse DNS lookups?

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 16, 2005