One 'Documents and Settings', Two Computers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dead_Dad, May 21, 2005.

  1. Dead_Dad

    Dead_Dad Guest

    Here is my situation:

    2 networked computers, both running XP Pro/SP2
    Main computer has two partitions, C & D
    Second computer has 'Main/D' mapped as 'Second/D'

    My wife and I homeschool our kids, and they are going to be starting
    'eschooling' soon. As I don't want to lock each child on a certain
    computer, I want to move the 'Documents and Settings' from 'Main/C' to
    'Main/D' and point 'Second/C/Documents & Settings' to
    'Second/D/Documents & Settings' (Mapped drive), so that anyone can log
    on to either computer and use the same settings. I have looked around
    the net and have not found instructions for doing so. (And simply
    moving 'My Documents' is /not/ sufficient, TYVM)

    I am expecting to get two more computers, so I need to figure this out
    quickly. I also have two other families who are interested in me
    setting up their networks in a similar manner.

    Has anyone here done this, or at least know where I can find a FAQ/HowTo
    on how to set it up?

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Dead_Dad, May 21, 2005

  2. Dead_Dad

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Just map the drive.

    pcbutts1, May 21, 2005

  3. Dead_Dad

    Guest

    I am not an expert!
    having said that, i have tried various things to sync start menus,
    outlook express etc., all of which are in D&S folder.
    the only success I had was moving My Documents to D:.

    The only way to do what you want - if I understand it - is to sync the
    profiles after each person uses a computer. You MAY be able to use one
    computer as the server for My Documents but I am not sure that will
    work 'cause XP doesn't like letting others into your profile folders
    (even though the profile names are the same on each computer).
    That also creates a sync problem.

    If you figure it out be sure to post it - lots of people will be
    interested.

    , May 21, 2005
  4. Dead_Dad

    Dead_Dad Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote:
    > Just map the drive.

    Ummmmm.....As I said in my post, I /did/ map drive 'D' on my main
    computer to 'D' on my second computer. If you mean something else, you
    /might/ want to consider switching to a provider that doesn't charge you
    per word. <G>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Dead_Dad, May 22, 2005
  5. Dead_Dad

    Sultan Guest

    Dead_Dad <> wrote in news:ygKje.1426860
    $Xk.284840@pd7tw3no:

    > Here is my situation:
    >
    > 2 networked computers, both running XP Pro/SP2
    > Main computer has two partitions, C & D
    > Second computer has 'Main/D' mapped as 'Second/D'
    >
    > My wife and I homeschool our kids, and they are going to be starting
    > 'eschooling' soon. As I don't want to lock each child on a certain
    > computer, I want to move the 'Documents and Settings' from 'Main/C' to
    > 'Main/D' and point 'Second/C/Documents & Settings' to
    > 'Second/D/Documents & Settings' (Mapped drive), so that anyone can log
    > on to either computer and use the same settings. I have looked around
    > the net and have not found instructions for doing so. (And simply
    > moving 'My Documents' is /not/ sufficient, TYVM)
    >
    > I am expecting to get two more computers, so I need to figure this out
    > quickly. I also have two other families who are interested in me
    > setting up their networks in a similar manner.
    >
    > Has anyone here done this, or at least know where I can find a

    FAQ/HowTo
    > on how to set it up?

    What you really need is a roaming profile for each user - but this
    requires a server and Win2K server- might be a bit more expensive than
    you like - servers are cheap - you don't need brand new - get an old
    Dell or HP off of Gateway - but the server license will set you back a
    bit - being it for education they "might" have an educational discount
    version??

    Same hardware but different thought - use terminal services from all
    four pc's to connect to the one server - all data then stored centrally.

    As far as moving your Documents and Settings folders - ummm probably not
    a good idea as these are system folders and makes no sense to do so -
    don't understand why you wouldn't just redirect the My Documents -
    nothing not sufficient about it really - all you have to worry about is
    what is saved to the desktop. You can look at local group policy to lock
    it down more - like hiding the c drive from them etc.

    --

    Sultan

    Sultan, May 22, 2005
  6. Dead_Dad

    pcbutts1 Guest

    You said you "want" to map the drives. But any way if you want both pc's to
    look and feel the same then you have to do want Sultan said by setting up a
    server. If you only want them to be able to access the same thing like
    homework assignments then a correctly mapped drive is all you need. Map a
    drive set up a shared folder and place a shortcut to that folder on both
    desktops. Have you tried something like this and it is not working? What's
    going on?

    That cost me $5.00 <g>

    pcbutts1, May 22, 2005
  7. Dead_Dad

    Guest

    You need a third computer to set up as a server and use roaming
    profiles.

    , May 22, 2005
  8. Dead_Dad

    Sultan Guest

    Sultan <> wrote in

    > Dead_Dad <> wrote in news:ygKje.1426860
    > $Xk.284840@pd7tw3no:
    >
    >> Here is my situation:
    >>
    >> 2 networked computers, both running XP Pro/SP2
    >> Main computer has two partitions, C & D
    >> Second computer has 'Main/D' mapped as 'Second/D'
    >>
    >> My wife and I homeschool our kids, and they are going to be starting
    >> 'eschooling' soon. As I don't want to lock each child on a certain
    >> computer, I want to move the 'Documents and Settings' from 'Main/C'

    >> 'Main/D' and point 'Second/C/Documents & Settings' to
    >> 'Second/D/Documents & Settings' (Mapped drive), so that anyone can

    log
    >> on to either computer and use the same settings. I have looked

    around
    >> the net and have not found instructions for doing so. (And simply
    >> moving 'My Documents' is /not/ sufficient, TYVM)
    >>
    >> I am expecting to get two more computers, so I need to figure this

    out
    >> quickly. I also have two other families who are interested in me
    >> setting up their networks in a similar manner.
    >>
    >> Has anyone here done this, or at least know where I can find a

    > FAQ/HowTo
    >> on how to set it up?
    >>

    > What you really need is a roaming profile for each user - but this
    > requires a server and Win2K server- might be a bit more expensive than
    > you like - servers are cheap - you don't need brand new - get an old
    > Dell or HP off of Gateway - but the server license will set you back a
    > bit - being it for education they "might" have an educational discount
    > version??
    >
    > Same hardware but different thought - use terminal services from all
    > four pc's to connect to the one server - all data then stored

    centrally.

    > As far as moving your Documents and Settings folders - ummm probably

    not
    > a good idea as these are system folders and makes no sense to do so -
    > don't understand why you wouldn't just redirect the My Documents -
    > nothing not sufficient about it really - all you have to worry about

    is
    > what is saved to the desktop. You can look at local group policy to

    lock
    > it down more - like hiding the c drive from them etc.

    Boy I was really tired last night - meant get a server off of ebay - not
    Gateway <grin>.

    --

    Sultan

    Sultan, May 22, 2005
  9. Dead_Dad

    Dead_Dad Guest

    e wrote:
    > I am not an expert!
    > having said that, i have tried various things to sync start menus,
    > outlook express etc., all of which are in D&S folder.
    > the only success I had was moving My Documents to D:.
    >
    > The only way to do what you want - if I understand it - is to sync the
    > profiles after each person uses a computer. You MAY be able to use one
    > computer as the server for My Documents but I am not sure that will
    > work 'cause XP doesn't like letting others into your profile folders
    > (even though the profile names are the same on each computer).
    > That also creates a sync problem.
    >
    > If you figure it out be sure to post it - lots of people will be
    > interested.

    One thing I discovered by prowling around in RegEdit, is
    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1004336348-57989841-725345543-1003\Volatile
    Environment\HOMEDRIVE (REG_SZ - "C:")

    It seems too good to be true that I could just copy the 'D&S' folder,
    then change 'HOMEDRIVE' to 'D:' in the registry, but.....

    Can anyone tell me if it really /is/ that simple? That is, I want to
    know where (registry or whatever) I can /permanently/ change my 'Home
    Drive'. I'm positive that it exists, but I don't know where to set it.
    (NTBM, but I'm looking for actual experience or a URL here, not 'I
    /think/ that if you.....', though I will give /anything/ a try at this
    point. <G>)

    I'll worry about syncing (or whatever) the second computer /after/ I get
    things working on the first one. I /will/ be documenting everything and
    posting it if I get the chance.

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Dead_Dad

    Dead_Dad, May 22, 2005
  10. Dead_Dad

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Explain again what it is you are trying to do/accomplish. Be specific.

    pcbutts1, May 22, 2005