One cpu shown out of 4(8)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Jul 23, 2010.

  1. Guest

    I check out google for this group, deleted a mess of 2009 messages, and
    nothing new showed up, but Agent 1.93 doesn't like the 64bit system; only
    thing that I came across with the same problem was a AMD with a driver
    problem, and one addressing a licenses problem.

    I just built a new system, P6X85D, i7-930, dual booting XPro 32 which I've
    used forever, it was last used on a P4 - 915 (HT) 3Ghz, It showed 2 cpu's all
    the time; the cpu and the thread. and a new XP 64bit OS.

    I've always dual booted, Win95/NT since day one, very nice and a great back
    door for problems.

    The problem is the 32 bit system only shows one CPU, I think the first of four
    (8 with threads). Task manager is set up to show multiple cpu's.

    Xp64 shows all 8 cpu's or 4 cores and threads. No problems here.

    Any clue why XP32 only shows one cpu?

    FWIW - this bothers me but it's working. It show up on both systems.

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    Manager\Environment]
    "NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS"="8" (XP32 shows "1" everything else is the same.)
    "OS"="Windows_NT"
    "PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE"="AMD64"
    "PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER"="EM64T Family 6 Model 26 Stepping 5, GenuineIntel"
    "PROCESSOR_LEVEL"="6"
    "PROCESSOR_REVISION"="1a05"

    Xp64 installer (shows among other things)
    Inf supports 64 bit.
    Manufacturer = INTEL_SYS,NTAMD64
    Resolved Manufacturer = INTEL_SYS.NTAMD64

    Xp32bit installer
    Inf supports 64 bit.
    Manufacturer = INTEL_SYS,NTAMD64
    Resolved Manufacturer = INTEL_SYS

    Any clues or help, would be appreciated.
    This is the first place I've asked this question. So really don't know what
    else to say.
    TIA

    --

    Timing is everything
    http://i46.tinypic.com/wvydnd.jpg (gif)

    , Jul 23, 2010

  2. So why are you asking about your 32-bit XP in a 64-bit OS group?

    I recommend you check out the website of the manufacturer for possible
    clues and solutions.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 23, 2010

  3. The problem is your 32-bit OS will only recognize a single CPU. If you
    didn't install it for multiple CPUs initially, that's all you get. (And you
    aren't clear which 32-bit OS you're talking about here, either. Some won't
    recognize more than a single CPU, some won't recognize more than one unless
    you explicitly install the multi-CPU kernel.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/Russel

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Jul 24, 2010
  4. Guest

    Bobby Johnson <> wrote:
    (Edited for readability)

    >On 2010-07-23 06:46, wrote:
    >>
    >> The problem is the 32 bit system only shows one CPU, I think the first of four
    >> (8 with threads). Task manager is set up to show multiple cpu's.

    >> Xp64 shows all 8 cpu's or 4 cores and threads. No problems here.

    >> Any clue why XP32 only shows one cpu?

    >So why are you asking about your 32-bit XP in a 64-bit OS group?

    Didn't even think about it, everything I do anymore is 64 bit. Plus if anybody
    is running XP64bit they have a good chance of knowing about a 32 bit problem.

    >I recommend you check out the website of the manufacturer for possible
    >clues and solutions.

    I do better on the newsgroups, Plus I've done those checks already, and not
    from websites of Intel and Microsoft. There are better sites for this.

    But thank for the input.

    --

    http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/1k-project-ii/12321

    , Jul 24, 2010
  5. Guest

    "Charlie Russel-MVP" <> wrote:

    >The problem is your 32-bit OS will only recognize a single CPU. If you
    >didn't install it for multiple CPUs initially, that's all you get. (And you
    >aren't clear which 32-bit OS you're talking about here, either. Some won't
    >recognize more than a single CPU, some won't recognize more than one unless
    >you explicitly install the multi-CPU kernel.

    That actually helps, I've run into phrase "ACPI uniprocessor system" it's a
    mess to track it down, so I backed off in hopes of a simpler path.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283/en-us

    It was a new install, XP pro SP3, never asked about the Prescott chip; figured
    it would notice a quad core. Hey sometimes you have to load and hope, google
    if it goes bad :)

    Thanks for the reply.