    ever bother. Maybe Im worried about nothing but curious to hear what others
    think on the Subject.
    Cheers

    Bratboy, Mar 8, 2006

  2. Bratboy

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:17:44 -0700, Bratboy <> wrote:

    >Okay, if I understand things correctly, HD's are gonna cost more to produce
    >so the prices will be higher. Whether this is true or not I don't know but I
    >can at least understand it as an excuse. My concern is that with higher
    >costs I am worried it may also result in fewer old movies that have yet to
    >be made on DVD ever seeing the light of day. I mean if a studio won't put
    >even a barebones DVD of "Vibes" on current DVD format what hope is there
    >that when it costs the studios more to work with HD-DVD's that they will
    >ever bother. Maybe Im worried about nothing but curious to hear what others
    >think on the Subject.

    Initialy the costs will be higher just like CD vs. LP or DVD vs. CD, but
    the costs will come down as the technology matures.

    I would expect the cost of making HDDVD in quantity to be under a nickel
    a copy.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 8, 2006

  3. Bratboy

    Dragon Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:17:44 -0700, Bratboy
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Okay, if I understand things correctly, HD's are gonna cost more to
    >>produce
    >>so the prices will be higher. Whether this is true or not I don't know but
    >>can at least understand it as an excuse. My concern is that with higher
    >>costs I am worried it may also result in fewer old movies that have yet to
    >>be made on DVD ever seeing the light of day. I mean if a studio won't put
    >>even a barebones DVD of "Vibes" on current DVD format what hope is there
    >>that when it costs the studios more to work with HD-DVD's that they will
    >>ever bother. Maybe Im worried about nothing but curious to hear what
    >>others
    >>think on the Subject.

    > Initialy the costs will be higher just like CD vs. LP or DVD vs. CD, but
    > the costs will come down as the technology matures.
    >
    > I would expect the cost of making HDDVD in quantity to be under a nickel
    > a copy.

    i do agree, older movies are hard to get now on dvd and unless the quality
    is watchable they never see the light of day. Lets hope that hddvd is only
    limited to new movies rather than re issueing old stuff, i dont mind paying
    extra for a new movie with hd but would still like to see old movie released
    in normal dvd quality so when get the benefit and those who dont have hd tvs
    or players

    dave

    Dragon, Mar 9, 2006
  4. Bratboy

    Jay G. Guest

    On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:55:07 GMT, Dragon wrote:

    > i do agree, older movies are hard to get now on dvd and unless the quality
    > is watchable they never see the light of day. Lets hope that hddvd is only
    > limited to new movies rather than re issueing old stuff, i dont mind paying
    > extra for a new movie with hd but would still like to see old movie released
    > in normal dvd quality so when get the benefit and those who dont have hd tvs
    > or players

    Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be released
    on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and most
    films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Mar 9, 2006
  5. Bratboy

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:26:37 -0600, Jay G. <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:55:07 GMT, Dragon wrote:
    >>
    >> i do agree, older movies are hard to get now on dvd and unless the quality
    >> is watchable they never see the light of day. Lets hope that hddvd is only
    >> limited to new movies rather than re issueing old stuff, i dont mind paying
    >> extra for a new movie with hd but would still like to see old movie released
    >> in normal dvd quality so when get the benefit and those who dont have hd tvs
    >> or players

    >Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be released
    >on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and most
    >films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.

    How long were laserdisk players made once dvd arrived? 3 years?
    I'd expect dvd players to vanish in not much longer, perhaps 4 or 5 years.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Bratboy

    Biz Guest

    I would agree except that DVDs have a much deeper market penetration than
    LDs did...

    So I would double that estimate.....And of course this all stems on how well
    HD/Blu-ray takes off. If it gets a slow start like LD had, it could take
    much longer or fail altogether

    Biz, Mar 9, 2006
  7. Bratboy

    Dragon Guest

    "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:55:07 GMT, Dragon wrote:
    >>
    >> i do agree, older movies are hard to get now on dvd and unless the
    >> quality
    >> is watchable they never see the light of day. Lets hope that hddvd is
    >> only
    >> limited to new movies rather than re issueing old stuff, i dont mind
    >> paying
    >> extra for a new movie with hd but would still like to see old movie
    >> released
    >> in normal dvd quality so when get the benefit and those who dont have hd
    >> tvs
    >> or players

    > Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be released
    > on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and most
    > films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.
    >
    > -Jay

    that will do me all i need to do now is consider a hd dvd player if they are
    worth the money and how much do they differ from normal dvd players playing
    on a hdtv

    Dragon, Mar 9, 2006
  8. Bratboy

    TBerk Guest

    Won't the HD DVD players be also able to play conventional DVDs?

    TBerk

    TBerk, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Bratboy

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On 9 Mar 2006 14:25:32 -0800, TBerk <> wrote:

    >Won't the HD DVD players be also able to play conventional DVDs?

    yup

    There won't be any reason to own a dvd player once hddvd has been out for
    a while.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 9, 2006
  10. Bratboy

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    > How long were laserdisk players made once dvd arrived? 3 years?
    > I'd expect dvd players to vanish in not much longer, perhaps 4 or 5
    > years.

    Laserdisc players were a niche market that never achieved wide
    acceptance. DVD players, on the other hand, are found in most homes. A
    better comparison is to ask how long it took VCRs to disappear once DVD
    players were available. Oh wait, they still make those.

    Joshua Zyber, Mar 10, 2006
  11. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    >> How long were laserdisk players made once dvd arrived? 3 years?
    >> I'd expect dvd players to vanish in not much longer, perhaps 4 or 5
    >> years.

    > Laserdisc players were a niche market that never achieved wide acceptance.
    > DVD players, on the other hand, are found in most homes. A better
    > comparison is to ask how long it took VCRs to disappear once DVD players
    > were available. Oh wait, they still make those.

    LOL, can you imagine in say 10 years what it will be like trying to explain
    to kids what a VHS tape was? I don't really care about HD yet figure I'll
    give it 6 months to a yr after players are out before considering switching
    over myself. Someone made a post saying how good HD was because you could
    almost see the sweat glands on someones face.....thats just a little more
    visual info than I need. DVD's still look great & some DVD players produce a
    decent to really good image for me so waiting a bit wont hurt. I was just
    worried that lesser titles would be ignored even more once HD DVD is out was
    all. Sounds like costwise it really wont cost studios more so maybe Im
    worrying about nothing.

    Bratboy, Mar 10, 2006
  12. Bratboy

    Jay G. Guest

    On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:29:22 GMT, Dragon wrote:

    > "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:55:07 GMT, Dragon wrote:
    >>
    >> Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be released
    >> on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and most
    >> films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.
    >>

    > that will do me all i need to do now is consider a hd dvd player if they are
    > worth the money and how much do they differ from normal dvd players playing
    > on a hdtv

    HD discs will have up to 5 times the resolution of a standard definition
    DVD. The degree to which this increase in resolution is noticable depends
    on the size and quality of HDTV you have, as well as probably how good your
    eyesight is.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Mar 10, 2006
  13. Bratboy

    Jay G. Guest

    On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 19:34:05 GMT, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 13:26:37 -0600, Jay G. <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be released
    >>on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and most
    >>films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.

    > How long were laserdisk players made once dvd arrived? 3 years?
    > I'd expect dvd players to vanish in not much longer, perhaps 4 or 5 years.

    DVD didn't require the purchase of an entirely new TV in order to
    experience the increase in quality. That's going to be a major stumbling
    block to HD discs that DVD didn't have.

    Plus, even if everyone in the US did buy an HDTV tomorrow, that would
    typically mean that their previous TV was moved to another room, possibly
    adding to several other TVs in the household. And as far as buying a disc
    goes, which would they rather buy: a disc that only works on one of their
    TVs, or a disc that works on all their TVs and DVD players?

    Joshua compare HDDVD vs. DVD to DVD vs. VHS. However, I think a more apt
    comparison would be LD vs. VHS. HDDVD is going to be limited to
    videophiles until enough people buckle down and buy an HDTV. Or possibly
    the comparison between DVD-A or SACD vs. CD would fit, where the obvious
    jump in quality isn't enough to steer people away from the older, more
    convenient format that works everywhere (home, car, PC, plane).

    -Jay

    Jay G., Mar 10, 2006
  14. Bratboy

    Alpha Guest

    > On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:29:22 GMT, Dragon wrote:
    >
    >> "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:55:07 GMT, Dragon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be
    >>> released
    >>> on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and
    >>> most
    >>> films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.
    >>>

    >> that will do me all i need to do now is consider a hd dvd player if they
    >> are
    >> worth the money and how much do they differ from normal dvd players
    >> playing
    >> on a hdtv

    > HD discs will have up to 5 times the resolution of a standard definition
    > DVD. The degree to which this increase in resolution is noticable depends
    > on the size and quality of HDTV you have, as well as probably how good
    > your
    > eyesight is.
    >
    > -Jay

    None of the $1800 blu ray or initial $500 Toshiba HD DVD players will play
    1080p.

    http://www.i4u.com/article5177.html

    Blu Ray is way down the pike.

    Alpha, Mar 10, 2006
  15. Bratboy

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:49:27 -0600, Jay G. <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:

    >On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 21:29:22 GMT, Dragon wrote:

    >> "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
    >>> On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 12:55:07 GMT, Dragon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Older films will be released on HD. However, they still will be released
    >>> on DVD as well. DVD is too large a market for anyone to ignore, and most
    >>> films being released on DVD nowadays are mastered in HD anyway.
    >>>

    >> that will do me all i need to do now is consider a hd dvd player if they are
    >> worth the money and how much do they differ from normal dvd players playing
    >> on a hdtv

    >HD discs will have up to 5 times the resolution of a standard definition
    >DVD. The degree to which this increase in resolution is noticable depends
    >on the size and quality of HDTV you have, as well as probably how good your
    >eyesight is.

    Two to three times the resolution actually. Resolution is the number of lines
    per inch, the number of dots along one dimension. A good improvement over
    NTSC, but nowhere the resolution of film.

    In 10 years, HDTV will be as much a joke as ISDN. At least it's a step in the
    right direction.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 10, 2006
  16. Bratboy

    Guest

    I think that's the heart of it Jay, that DVD players work with every
    color TV ever made, NTSC or ATSC, only depending on having the right
    connectors and cabling. Sure, it will be harder with a Zenith console
    from 1965, but I don't see why it can't be done. My advice is to buy a
    real tank of a DVD player (I went with Denon) and several Wal-Mart
    cheapies and then sit back and enjoy the fireworks. Can you imagine
    the flood of used DVD's that will hit the market if either or both of
    the HD formats take off? DVD's ain't video tapes. Unless you let the
    kids or your pet wolverine play with them they'll likely last decades.

    DVD is so awesome because it makes the most out of NTSC,is highly
    durable, is compatible with everything, and has been so widely accepted
    you don't have to worry about support for it disappearing tomorrow.
    Damn near perfect if you ask me. I intend to enjoy it for many years
    to come.

    -beaumon

    , Mar 10, 2006
  17. Bratboy

    Jay G. Guest

    On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 19:14:35 -0800, Alpha wrote:

    > "Jay G." <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >> HD discs will have up to 5 times the resolution of a standard definition
    >> DVD. The degree to which this increase in resolution is noticable depends
    >> on the size and quality of HDTV you have, as well as probably how good
    >> your
    >> eyesight is.
    >>

    > None of the $1800 blu ray or initial $500 Toshiba HD DVD players will play
    > 1080p.
    >
    > http://www.i4u.com/article5177.html
    >
    > Blu Ray is way down the pike.

    1080i is still 5 times the resolution, especially when you consider that
    the majority of people will be coming from 480i sets.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Mar 10, 2006
  18. Bratboy

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Unless you let the
    > kids or your pet wolverine play with them they'll likely last decades.

    I take it you don't do a lot of renting?

    Joshua Zyber, Mar 10, 2006
  19. Bratboy

    Jay G. Guest

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 03:54:03 GMT, AZ Nomad wrote:

    > On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:49:27 -0600, Jay G. <"Jay "@tmbg.org> wrote:
    >>HD discs will have up to 5 times the resolution of a standard definition
    >>DVD. The degree to which this increase in resolution is noticable depends
    >>on the size and quality of HDTV you have, as well as probably how good your
    >>eyesight is.

    > Two to three times the resolution actually. Resolution is the number of lines
    > per inch, the number of dots along one dimension. A good improvement over
    > NTSC, but nowhere the resolution of film.

    Counting only the scan lines only works when you're comparing formats with
    the same horizontal resolution, like NTSC vs PAL. However, HDTV formats
    have a higher horizontal resolution in addition to higher vertical
    resolution. The numbers are:

    480 - 704x480 = 337920 pixels
    720 - 1280x720 = 921600 pixels
    1080 - 1920x1080 = 2073600 pixels

    So 720 is about 2.7 times the resolution of 480, while 1080 is about 6
    times the resolution of 480.

    > In 10 years, HDTV will be as much a joke as ISDN. At least it's a step in the
    > right direction.

    Digital Television won't be foisted upon consumers until 2009. After that
    point, there's still going to be a large transition period where a good
    number of people are going to stick with their old analog sets and a
    digital signal converter. The analog shutoff doesn't even affect cable
    companies, which may continue to transmit analog signals for a while after
    that. Not to mention that most LCD "HDTV" sets nowadays are only 720p. So
    in 10 years time we're going to see HDTV *just* becoming the mainstream
    standard. And it took over 40 years for color NTSC to be replaced by
    anything else.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Mar 10, 2006
  20. Bratboy

    Jay G. Guest

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 12:56:08 GMT, Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Unless you let the
    >> kids or your pet wolverine play with them they'll likely last decades.

    > I take it you don't do a lot of renting?

    Nothing you can do about other people's kids or pet wolverines.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Mar 11, 2006