One computer printing from another

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    A friend can use Word on her computer, but can't get the phone on yet, so
    email and internet can't be used. Now her printer isn't working. (She does
    work at home).

    I have email and internet (dialup) and can print from my computer.

    We are not connected through a network. I have windows ME, I think hers is
    XP.

    Is there any way we can transfer what is on her computer (typed reports etc)
    on to my computer so we can print it out please?

    I thought of floppy discs, but don't know how to use them. If she can put
    Word documents on to a CD, could my computer read that and print it out?

    Neither of us know much about the technical side of computers.

    Any suggestions? Thank you

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Dec 28, 2005

  2. geopelia

    Philip Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > A friend can use Word on her computer, but can't get the phone on yet, so
    > email and internet can't be used. Now her printer isn't working. (She does
    > work at home).
    >
    > I have email and internet (dialup) and can print from my computer.
    >
    > We are not connected through a network. I have windows ME, I think hers is
    > XP.
    >
    > Is there any way we can transfer what is on her computer (typed reports etc)
    > on to my computer so we can print it out please?
    >
    > I thought of floppy discs, but don't know how to use them. If she can put
    > Word documents on to a CD, could my computer read that and print it out?
    >
    > Neither of us know much about the technical side of computers.
    >
    > Any suggestions? Thank you
    >
    > Geopelia

    In principle yes.

    If your friend saves the files to a disk of some kind, or burns them to
    a CD, they should be readable on any other computer running the same
    programs - presumably MS Word or Excel.

    If either of you has a USB memory stick you could also save the files
    onto that.

    You say 'now her printer isn't working' - do you know why? Is it
    printing badly, or not at all, or does the computer deny the printer is
    there?

    Sometimes printer problems arise because someone has inadvertently told
    the computer not to send any files to the printer, or to pause printing,
    or even because the cable has fallen out the back of the computer or the
    printer.

    Keep us posted,

    Philip

    Philip, Dec 28, 2005

  3. If you are networked you just need to enable sharing your printer then
    adding a network printer on her machine, then she can print to your printer
    as if it was on her own.

    --
    -- Cheers
    Southern Kiwi

    Southern Kiwi, Dec 28, 2005
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > If you are networked you just need to enable sharing your printer then
    > adding a network printer on her machine, then she can print to your

    printer
    > as if it was on her own.
    >

    > --
    > -- Cheers
    > Southern Kiwi
    > southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
    > Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a Guru...but
    > not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high... :)

    Thank you. Neither of us know how we can get networked. Once she can get
    the phone on she will be able to email her work to me and I can print it
    out, but that may take quite a while.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Dec 28, 2005
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Philip" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    > > A friend can use Word on her computer, but can't get the phone on yet,

    so
    > > email and internet can't be used. Now her printer isn't working. (She

    does
    > > work at home).
    > >
    > > I have email and internet (dialup) and can print from my computer.
    > >
    > > We are not connected through a network. I have windows ME, I think hers

    is
    > > XP.

    (snip)

    > In principle yes.
    >
    > If your friend saves the files to a disk of some kind, or burns them to
    > a CD, they should be readable on any other computer running the same
    > programs - presumably MS Word or Excel.
    >
    > If either of you has a USB memory stick you could also save the files
    > onto that.
    >
    > You say 'now her printer isn't working' - do you know why? Is it
    > printing badly, or not at all, or does the computer deny the printer is
    > there?
    >
    > Sometimes printer problems arise because someone has inadvertently told
    > the computer not to send any files to the printer, or to pause printing,
    > or even because the cable has fallen out the back of the computer or the
    > printer.
    >
    > Keep us posted,
    >
    > Philip

    I don't know what a UBS memory stick is or whether one came with this
    computer. I'll see if she can put the files on a CD.

    The removal people may have upset the printer, I'll ask her what the problem
    is. I think she would have connected the cables, so it could have just been
    shaken up in the move.

    I haven't got Excel, but I have Word.

    Thanks for your help.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Dec 28, 2005
  6. geopelia

    Crash Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    [snip]
    > I don't know what a UBS memory stick is or whether one came with this
    > computer. I'll see if she can put the files on a CD.
    >
    > The removal people may have upset the printer, I'll ask her what the problem
    > is. I think she would have connected the cables, so it could have just been
    > shaken up in the move.
    >
    > I haven't got Excel, but I have Word.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    A USB (note the spelling) memory stick is a device that plugs into a USB socket
    on your PC - much like your printer might be. This memory stick then appears to
    your computer as a removable disk drive. With one of these things plugged in
    your friend could use windows explorer to find out what drive letter the device
    is then copy or save the word document files (i.e. <name>.doc) to it. Once this
    has been done the device is simply unplugged from their computer and plugged
    into yours. This works as long as both PCs have at least one USB socket - and
    this should be the case with PCs that came with Windows Me when new.

    Assuming you can get the files to your machine there is then compatibility
    issues to consider. The issues I cover here may explain difficulties you might
    experience when printing your friend's documents. Are you both using the same
    version of WORD? Generally as long as your version is the same or later than
    hers you are safe but if theirs is later than yours difficulties could arise.
    Lastly, if your friend uses fonts in her Word documents that are not installed
    on your machine then the font used on your machine will be different when you
    print. This is unlikely to be the case if your friend uses standard fonts - but
    might apply if they use additional fonts installed to make the documents unique
    in appearance.

    I suggest simply using floppy disk or a memory stick if it is available but be
    prepared for strange results.

    Crash.

    Crash, Dec 28, 2005
  7. geopelia

    Brian Dooley Guest

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:33:17 +1300, Crash
    <> wrote:

    >geopelia wrote:
    >[snip]
    >> I don't know what a UBS memory stick is or whether one came with this
    >> computer. I'll see if she can put the files on a CD.
    >>
    >> The removal people may have upset the printer, I'll ask her what the problem
    >> is. I think she would have connected the cables, so it could have just been
    >> shaken up in the move.
    >>
    >> I haven't got Excel, but I have Word.
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help.

    >A USB (note the spelling) memory stick is a device that plugs into a USB socket
    >on your PC - much like your printer might be. This memory stick then appears to
    >your computer as a removable disk drive. With one of these things plugged in
    >your friend could use windows explorer to find out what drive letter the device
    >is then copy or save the word document files (i.e. <name>.doc) to it. Once this
    >has been done the device is simply unplugged from their computer and plugged
    >into yours. This works as long as both PCs have at least one USB socket - and
    >this should be the case with PCs that came with Windows Me when new.
    >
    >Assuming you can get the files to your machine there is then compatibility
    >issues to consider. The issues I cover here may explain difficulties you might
    >experience when printing your friend's documents. Are you both using the same
    >version of WORD? Generally as long as your version is the same or later than
    >hers you are safe but if theirs is later than yours difficulties could arise.
    >Lastly, if your friend uses fonts in her Word documents that are not installed
    >on your machine then the font used on your machine will be different when you
    >print. This is unlikely to be the case if your friend uses standard fonts - but
    >might apply if they use additional fonts installed to make the documents unique
    >in appearance.
    >
    >I suggest simply using floppy disk or a memory stick if it is available but be
    >prepared for strange results.

    She's said she doesn't know how to use floppies, so I suggest she
    takes this opportunity to find out.

    She shouldn't have too much of a problem - once through and
    she'll be set for life.

    This is a pretty smart old lady.

    Belay the "old".
    --

    Brian Dooley

    Wellington New Zealand

    Brian Dooley, Dec 28, 2005
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Crash" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > I don't know what a UBS memory stick is or whether one came with this
    > > computer. I'll see if she can put the files on a CD.
    > >
    > > The removal people may have upset the printer, I'll ask her what the

    problem
    > > is. I think she would have connected the cables, so it could have just

    been
    > > shaken up in the move.
    > >
    > > I haven't got Excel, but I have Word.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help.

    > A USB (note the spelling) memory stick is a device that plugs into a USB

    socket
    > on your PC - much like your printer might be. This memory stick then

    appears to
    > your computer as a removable disk drive. With one of these things plugged

    in
    > your friend could use windows explorer to find out what drive letter the

    device
    > is then copy or save the word document files (i.e. <name>.doc) to it.

    Once this
    > has been done the device is simply unplugged from their computer and

    plugged
    > into yours. This works as long as both PCs have at least one USB socket -

    and
    > this should be the case with PCs that came with Windows Me when new.
    >
    > Assuming you can get the files to your machine there is then compatibility
    > issues to consider. The issues I cover here may explain difficulties you

    might
    > experience when printing your friend's documents. Are you both using the

    same
    > version of WORD? Generally as long as your version is the same or later

    than
    > hers you are safe but if theirs is later than yours difficulties could

    arise.
    > Lastly, if your friend uses fonts in her Word documents that are not

    installed
    > on your machine then the font used on your machine will be different when

    you
    > print. This is unlikely to be the case if your friend uses standard

    fonts - but
    > might apply if they use additional fonts installed to make the documents

    unique
    > in appearance.
    >
    > I suggest simply using floppy disk or a memory stick if it is available

    but be
    > prepared for strange results.
    >
    > Crash.

    Thank you. I'll print this out and see what she thinks. Neither of us know
    much about the technical side of computers.
    I think my Word is 2000, I don't know what hers is.

    Thank you for your help.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Dec 28, 2005
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Brian Dooley" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:33:17 +1300, Crash
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >geopelia wrote:
    > >[snip]
    > >> I don't know what a UBS memory stick is or whether one came with this
    > >> computer. I'll see if she can put the files on a CD.
    > >>
    > >> The removal people may have upset the printer, I'll ask her what the

    problem
    > >> is. I think she would have connected the cables, so it could have just

    been
    > >> shaken up in the move.
    > >>
    > >> I haven't got Excel, but I have Word.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for your help.

    > >A USB (note the spelling) memory stick is a device that plugs into a USB

    socket
    > >on your PC - much like your printer might be. This memory stick then

    appears to
    > >your computer as a removable disk drive. With one of these things

    plugged in
    > >your friend could use windows explorer to find out what drive letter the

    device
    > >is then copy or save the word document files (i.e. <name>.doc) to it.

    Once this
    > >has been done the device is simply unplugged from their computer and

    plugged
    > >into yours. This works as long as both PCs have at least one USB

    socket - and
    > >this should be the case with PCs that came with Windows Me when new.
    > >
    > >Assuming you can get the files to your machine there is then

    compatibility
    > >issues to consider. The issues I cover here may explain difficulties you

    might
    > >experience when printing your friend's documents. Are you both using the

    same
    > >version of WORD? Generally as long as your version is the same or later

    than
    > >hers you are safe but if theirs is later than yours difficulties could

    arise.
    > >Lastly, if your friend uses fonts in her Word documents that are not

    installed
    > >on your machine then the font used on your machine will be different when

    you
    > >print. This is unlikely to be the case if your friend uses standard

    fonts - but
    > >might apply if they use additional fonts installed to make the documents

    unique
    > >in appearance.
    > >
    > >I suggest simply using floppy disk or a memory stick if it is available

    but be
    > >prepared for strange results.

    > She's said she doesn't know how to use floppies, so I suggest she
    > takes this opportunity to find out.
    >
    > She shouldn't have too much of a problem - once through and
    > she'll be set for life.
    >
    > This is a pretty smart old lady.
    >
    > Belay the "old".
    > --