One computer out of four on network VERY slow

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbHlCb2I=?=, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. Here is a crazy one for you. I have recently set up a wireless network
    adding a D-Link 524. The desktop is hardwired by ethernet, and I have a new
    Acer computer with a Broadcom network card. The network is WPA encrypted.
    After the usual difficulties of getting these things up and going, I now have
    download speeds on my laptop that are virtually identical to those on my
    hardwired desktop. So my daughter and son-in-law arrived for a Christmas
    visit, each carrying their own wireless laptops. One was a brand new IBM
    with an Intel network card, the other a much older and cheaper IBM laptop to
    which was added a Linksys card. After I gave them the encryption code, the
    older laptop connected immediately and worked pretty darn good for the
    several days of their visit. From the word go with the newer laptop,
    connection was a hassle. Or I should say, pulling up web pages was a hassle.
    It would connect almost every time. It would show a strong signal almost
    every time. Sometimes it would indicate 54mbps throughput, but that would
    constantly oscillate down to about 1 Mbps. But regardless of signal strength
    or throughput indicated, it was almost impossible to use the Web. When I
    check download speed at PC pitstop, my speed (with either my wireless Acer
    laptop or my desktop) will usually be between 2700 and 3000 Mbps, from a
    provider who is advertising 3500. When we would try this on the newer IBM
    laptop, even when the signal was indicated as very strong with high
    throughput, we would get between 61 and 600 Mbps! Sometimes when he first
    connected, web pages would come right up, but within a few minutes it would
    bog down to unusable. In the meantime, his older beat up IBM laptop with the
    added Linksys card functioned just fine. Then we took his laptop and went
    out around town, where it easily and consistently connected to any number of
    WiFi hotspots, and some other private unsecured networks, which we hooked up
    to for a couple of minutes for test purposes. Come back to the house, show a
    very strong signal with up to 54 Mbps yet can not connect to anything! We
    experimented with MTU, lowering them from 1492 down to 1468 after having done
    the appropriate ping testing. We set all computers in my network plus their
    two laptops to this lower MTU figure. Lowering the MTU and increasing the
    RWIN definitely improved in the download speeds of my two computers in the
    network. But doing the same on his laptop accomplish nothing.

    Any ideas, anyone? I did not bother getting rid of encryption, since he had
    no problems connecting to my network. It's just that once he connected, he
    might be able to go to one or two web sites with a reasonable speed, but
    every time within five minutes his download speed would drop to almost
    nothing. We are quite mystified. But his laptop works wonderful at his home
    as well as on the road and hotels, airports and various WiFi hotspots. It
    only refuses to function correctly on my wireless network.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbHlCb2I=?=, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Hi

    It is hard to know without inspecting the Laptop and what is on it.

    In general, a lot of the new Laptop come loaded with so much "Junk" at the
    StartUp that might be that there some Network/Wireless utilities that are
    On, and conflict with the normal work of Windows Wireless aspects.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 28, 2005

  3. Thanks Jack. It may be something like you are talking about, but that
    computer works just fine on his home network, as well as any other unsecured
    networks that we tried, including various WiFi hotspots. What ever it is
    loaded on his computer or what ever setting on his computer, it only
    interferes with his ability to pull up web pages for more than a few minutes
    on my home network. But if it's his home network, Starbucks or the airport
    or various hotels, it works fine. And it might work fine on mine, for one or
    two web pages. But then it quickly bogs down to unusable, despite continuing
    to show high throughput and strong signal. Sometimes we get a message
    "little or no connectivity".

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbHlCb2I=?=, Dec 29, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbHlCb2I=?=

    Jeff Guest

    I just tried an experiment. I was trying to retrieve some messages and
    suddenly there was no access to the internet even though I am well connected
    according to network icon. So I shut down my Firefox 1.5 which had several
    tabs open and immediately could acquire my email messages.

    So I think it is connected with Firefox 1.5 or one of its extensions. Are
    you using Firefox?

    Jeff

    Jeff, Dec 29, 2005
  5. Jeff: sorry, no, I am using Internet Explorer. But on a related note, I was
    sitting here last night in the living room, rapidly pulling up web pages with
    a 54 Mbps throughput at a strong signal, everything working just dandy, and
    all of a sudden lost connectivity. Could not even find the network. This
    corresponded to my wife sitting down in the chair next to me and making a
    phone call off a wireless phone, 2.4 gigahertz. Which is the same frequency
    as my D-Link router. I got up and went into my office, and was immediately
    able to connect again with high speed. So I think the other 2.4 gigahertz
    items in the house might be a problem interference wise. But whether or not
    that is a problem that is related to what we have been discussing, I don't
    have a clue.

    =?Utf-8?B?QmlsbHlCb2I=?=, Dec 29, 2005