Once upon a time

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Shane, Jun 9, 2006.

  1. Shane

    Shane Guest

    An announcement like this would have stopped traffic

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6081301.html?tag=nl.e589
    After months of limited testing, Microsoft late Wednesday made a beta
    version of Windows Vista publicly available for download.

    The company kicked off what it called its "Customer Preview Program," a
    testing period in which the software maker hopes millions of tech
    enthusiasts will kick the tires on the new operating system.

    __EOF__

    I just double checked /. and it amassed 395 comments, vs the firefox
    dropping pre windows 2k support amassing 416 comments
    The times they are a changing

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Shane

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:30:02 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    >An announcement like this would have stopped traffic
    >
    >http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6081301.html?tag=nl.e589
    >After months of limited testing, Microsoft late Wednesday made a beta
    >version of Windows Vista publicly available for download.
    >
    >The company kicked off what it called its "Customer Preview Program," a
    >testing period in which the software maker hopes millions of tech
    >enthusiasts will kick the tires on the new operating system.
    >

    >__EOF__
    >

    >I just double checked /. and it amassed 395 comments, vs the firefox
    >dropping pre windows 2k support amassing 416 comments
    >The times they are a changing

    I was going to say maybe noone wants it because of the DRM, but seriously most
    people won't care about that until it's too late.

    Lack of interest in Vista is probably because most people are happy with XP.

    Craig Shore, Jun 9, 2006

  3. Shane

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 14:30:02 +1200, Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >

    >>An announcement like this would have stopped traffic
    >>
    >>http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6081301.html?tag=nl.e589
    >>After months of limited testing, Microsoft late Wednesday made a beta
    >>version of Windows Vista publicly available for download.
    >>
    >>The company kicked off what it called its "Customer Preview Program," a
    >>testing period in which the software maker hopes millions of tech
    >>enthusiasts will kick the tires on the new operating system.
    >>

    >>__EOF__
    >>

    >>I just double checked /. and it amassed 395 comments, vs the firefox
    >>dropping pre windows 2k support amassing 416 comments
    >>The times they are a changing

    > I was going to say maybe noone wants it because of the DRM, but seriously most
    > people won't care about that until it's too late.
    >
    > Lack of interest in Vista is probably because most people are happy with XP.

    To be blunt when win98 came out win 95 was working ok with no trobles
    till I got a faster cpu! :( know tthe answer now little consolution
    now... then win 2k cam out well 98 was good enough (linux, KDE, Gnome
    just a testing phsae) then some software would not work properly so off
    to 2k land.... well XP came out. I bit the bullet as It seemed to play
    nicer than 2K did most things and IS GOOD enough. till about 6 months
    ago the testing of KDE and Gnome there were things that were just not
    right. Vista will not be used on this machine as it will not does not
    have enough grunt to run it from what I have herd on the rumer mill. I
    still Like XP a lot but what will the future hold? I dont Know. S**t I
    might have an apple LOL

    Robert Cooze, Jun 9, 2006