    I dont know... couldnt we accomplish all this with
    processed variations of just ONE exposure ?

    just wondering

    stuseven, Oct 8, 2007

  2. stuseven

    stuseven Guest

    oops... while all this HDR business is new to me, it seems it
    has been a hot topic for some time... to at least the second part
    of my question, I see whole galleries full of triple conversions from
    RAW files to an HDR result... nice !

    To me... this is, within the HDR area itself... those storybook
    skies and panoramas from three separate exposures are still
    unbeatable... stretching it all out of one image should actually more
    please the purists... thats just plain richer imaging... nothing
    artificial
    about it.

    stuseven, Oct 8, 2007

  3. stuseven

    Matt Ion Guest

    stuseven wrote:
    > + just for those who might want to try HDR or
    > associated softwares, it occurs to me to ask the
    > following here. Are there higher end / middle end
    > digitals which will auto-record a preprogrammed series
    > of shots... one for lower light areas / one for middle /
    > one for brighter areas, or similar ?

    Absolutely - the feature you're looking for is called "exposure
    bracketing" and is pretty much standard on all SLRs (digital or film)
    and most "semi-pro" level P&S cameras.

    > I understand there
    > will be a short delay between exposures...

    That's why you use a tripod :)

    > also, my
    > understanding of the HDR process is limited... three
    > may or may not be sufficient to produce such a picture.

    The more exposures you have to work with, the better your results may
    be, especially when there's a LOT of dynamic range in the scene.

    > I dont know... couldnt we accomplish all this with
    > processed variations of just ONE exposure ?

    Many have... it works better using RAW formats, which at 12-bit or
    higher color depth, contain more dynamic-range information than JPEG,
    TIFF, and other 8-bit image formats allow.

    Matt Ion, Oct 9, 2007
  4. "stuseven" <> wrote in message
    >+ just for those who might want to try HDR or
    > associated softwares, it occurs to me to ask the
    > following here. Are there higher end / middle end
    > digitals which will auto-record a preprogrammed series
    > of shots... one for lower light areas / one for middle /
    > one for brighter areas, or similar ? I understand there
    > will be a short delay between exposures... also, my
    > understanding of the HDR process is limited... three
    > may or may not be sufficient to produce such a picture.
    >
    > I dont know... couldnt we accomplish all this with
    > processed variations of just ONE exposure ?
    >
    > just wondering

    It is called exposure bracketing. Most cameras can do this. Most low end
    cameras allow for one image right on, one over exposed and one under
    exposed.

    Some higher end cameras allow for 5 image or more in bracketing mode. One
    such is the Pentax K10D, it does 3 or 5. Though this is something you can do
    manually and generate a dozen or more image exposed 1/3, 1/4 or 1/2 stop
    apart.

    Psygnosis

    Psygnosis - Silent Running, Oct 9, 2007