Onboard video automatically slows memory?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Baz Metcalfe, Dec 15, 2004.

  1. Baz Metcalfe

    Baz Metcalfe Guest

    I'm planning on building a system using an overclocked Barton core 2500+
    Athlon saddled up on a nForce2-based motherboard with integrated Geforce 4
    MX graphics. I'm not too concerned about the ordinary nature of the graphic
    capabilities, but I am concerned by a rumour a friend told me about how
    using onboard graphics will limit my memory speeds to PC2700 (DDR333). I
    assume this will also compromise my capacity to overclock the cpu.

    He pointed me to the article at
    http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200411.ars/2 referring
    particularly to the section on RAM. I was considering the Abit NF7-M
    (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=7) but
    will have to rethink if it's subject to this limitation.

    Anyone know if there's any truth to this story, or of any motherboards with
    decent onboard video (no seriously) which can run memory and fsb beyond
    DDR333 speeds?

    All insights appreciated.

    Baz Metcalfe, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Baz Metcalfe

    Jerry G. Guest

    In any system you are best off to use a slot type video card, rather than an
    on board one.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 15, 2004

  3. Baz Metcalfe

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > I'm planning on building a system using an overclocked Barton core 2500+
    > Athlon saddled up on a nForce2-based motherboard with integrated Geforce 4
    > MX graphics. I'm not too concerned about the ordinary nature of the

    graphic
    > capabilities, but I am concerned by a rumour a friend told me about how
    > using onboard graphics will limit my memory speeds to PC2700 (DDR333). I
    > assume this will also compromise my capacity to overclock the cpu.
    >
    > He pointed me to the article at
    > http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/system-guide-200411.ars/2 referring
    > particularly to the section on RAM. I was considering the Abit NF7-M
    > (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=7)

    but
    > will have to rethink if it's subject to this limitation.
    >
    > Anyone know if there's any truth to this story, or of any motherboards

    with
    > decent onboard video (no seriously) which can run memory and fsb beyond
    > DDR333 speeds?

    I have an NF7-M, and as far as IGP boards go, it's great. However, it is
    officially rated only to 333 MHz. Because you're posting this in the
    overclocking forum, I imagine you're planning on overclocking. While using
    the onboard video, I was only able to get it stable to an FSB of about 395
    MHz. After putting a GeForce 6800 in it, I'm still only able to get the
    memory bus stable to about 418 MHz.

    If you don't plan on buying an add-in video card, then it's probably as
    good of IGP board as you're going to find. However, if you ARE thinking of
    buying an add-in card, going wih a non-IGP NForce2 board will give you more
    headroom.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Dec 15, 2004
  4. Baz Metcalfe

    BarryNL Guest

    Jerry G. wrote:

    > In any system you are best off to use a slot type video card, rather than an
    > on board one.

    Not necessarily. If you have no intention of running games then a slot
    type card is a waste of money.

    BarryNL, Dec 20, 2004