Onboard sound card does not work

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rainer Schmandt, Nov 1, 2003.

  1. Hi NG,

    I have bought an old computer for my daughter.
    Unfortunately the sound is not working.

    It has got a pentium II processor with WIN 98 SE
    and a sound card on board.

    I do not have any manuals for the computer.

    Windows identifies the sound card as
    Yamaha DS-XG PCI Audio CODEC (WDM).

    Opening the chasis of the computer and looking for
    the chipset I found a chip next to the speaker outlet
    with the following description:
    Yamaha YMF 740C-V 9846 AF

    Putting the plug of the speakers to the outlet I can
    here a cracking noise and a brummmm-tone. I
    assume that means that there is power on it.

    How can I get the sound to work?

    Rainer
    Rainer Schmandt, Nov 1, 2003

  2. Rainer Schmandt

    °Mike° Guest

    I assume Windows installed the drivers, and there
    are no conflicts in Device Manager?

    Have you installed/upgraded DirectX?

    You could also disable the onboard sound in the BIOS
    and get hold of a cheapo sound card.

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 18:34:38 +0100, in
    <bo0qv5$17136q$-berlin.de>
    Rainer Schmandt scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 1, 2003

  3. Hi Mike,
    "°Mike°" wrote

    > I assume Windows installed the drivers, and there
    > are no conflicts in Device Manager?

    That is correct. No conflicts are shown.

    > Have you installed/upgraded DirectX?

    I upgraded it to DX 8.1. But starting the diagnose
    program with dxdiag it shows an error message
    saying that there was probably an error with the
    last start and if I like to ignore the system information.
    Clicking on YES it shows several error messages
    like for DirectMusic or for DirectDraw or...

    Clicking on NO nothing happens but the system
    freeze when restarting the computer.

    What does this mean and how can I repair it?

    > You could also disable the onboard sound in the BIOS
    > and get hold of a cheapo sound card.

    I tried this before and it seemed to work but after
    some games the computer frooze. Dismounting the
    Creative Labs sound card with sound blaster the
    games are working agarin but of course without
    sound.
    Rainer Schmandt, Nov 1, 2003
  4. Rainer Schmandt

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:18:47 +0100, in
    <bo0tht$163c1h$-berlin.de>
    Rainer Schmandt scrawled:

    >Hi Mike,
    >"°Mike°" wrote
    >
    >> I assume Windows installed the drivers, and there
    >> are no conflicts in Device Manager?
    >>

    >That is correct. No conflicts are shown.
    >
    >> Have you installed/upgraded DirectX?

    >I upgraded it to DX 8.1. But starting the diagnose
    >program with dxdiag it shows an error message
    >saying that there was probably an error with the
    >last start and if I like to ignore the system information.
    >Clicking on YES it shows several error messages
    >like for DirectMusic or for DirectDraw or...
    >
    >Clicking on NO nothing happens but the system
    >freeze when restarting the computer.
    >
    >What does this mean and how can I repair it?

    It means there was/is a fault in the DirectX installation,
    or that it's detected a fault with system files.

    Have you ran a COMPLETE system virus scan?

    Also, run scandisk with a THOROUGH surface scan
    of the hard drive.

    >> You could also disable the onboard sound in the BIOS
    >> and get hold of a cheapo sound card.

    >I tried this before and it seemed to work but after
    >some games the computer frooze. Dismounting the
    >Creative Labs sound card with sound blaster the
    > games are working agarin but of course without
    > sound.

    Maybe the games needed configuring for sound
    blaster. Also, some games need the BLASTER
    environment variable set in autoexec.bat .

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 1, 2003
  5. Rainer Schmandt

    dr_hardware Guest

    "Rainer Schmandt" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Mike,
    > "°Mike°" wrote
    >
    > > I assume Windows installed the drivers, and there
    > > are no conflicts in Device Manager?
    > >

    > That is correct. No conflicts are shown.
    >
    > > Have you installed/upgraded DirectX?

    > I upgraded it to DX 8.1. But starting the diagnose
    > program with dxdiag it shows an error message
    > saying that there was probably an error with the
    > last start and if I like to ignore the system information.
    > Clicking on YES it shows several error messages
    > like for DirectMusic or for DirectDraw or...
    >
    > Clicking on NO nothing happens but the system
    > freeze when restarting the computer.
    >
    > What does this mean and how can I repair it?
    >

    > > You could also disable the onboard sound in the BIOS
    > > and get hold of a cheapo sound card.

    > I tried this before and it seemed to work but after
    > some games the computer frooze. Dismounting the
    > Creative Labs sound card with sound blaster the
    > games are working agarin but of course without
    > sound.

    Sound cards and chips use a "standard" IRQ, so you can't have an on-board
    chip and a PCI sound card running at the same time (unless you paly around
    with IRQ's...not recommended). Choose one or the other (the sound chip can
    be disabled in BIOS). The sound card will usually give you better quality
    sound.
    dr_hardware, Nov 1, 2003
  6. Hi Mike,

    I needed some time to do all the checks. Here are
    the results:

    "°Mike°" wrote
    > On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:18:47 +0100, in

    > It means there was/is a fault in the DirectX installation,
    > or that it's detected a fault with system files.

    I have now installed the DX 9b Version with the result
    that dxdiag starts again. But clicking on MUSIC
    the check freezes with the system error massage:
    Error OE ocurred at address: 0028:C29B5F93
    on VXE-File PCIMP (01) + 00001C33
    click any button.

    > Have you ran a COMPLETE system virus scan?

    Now, Yes. I downloaded the newest AVG anti-virus-
    program but no viruses have been found.

    > Also, run scandisk with a THOROUGH surface scan
    > of the hard drive.

    Have made it and no errors have been found.

    > Maybe the games needed configuring for sound
    > blaster. Also, some games need the BLASTER
    > environment variable set in autoexec.bat .

    The strange thing was that the games worked pretty
    well for a while but then a game which had worked
    before suddenly frooze.

    Thanks for your help.

    Rainer
    Rainer Schmandt, Nov 1, 2003
  7. Rainer Schmandt

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:11:43 +0100, in
    <bo17mt$16og6j$-berlin.de>
    Rainer Schmandt scrawled:

    >Hi Mike,
    >
    >I needed some time to do all the checks. Here are
    >the results:
    >
    >"°Mike°" wrote
    >> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 19:18:47 +0100, in

    >> It means there was/is a fault in the DirectX installation,
    >> or that it's detected a fault with system files.

    >I have now installed the DX 9b Version with the result
    >that dxdiag starts again. But clicking on MUSIC
    >the check freezes with the system error massage:
    >Error OE ocurred at address: 0028:C29B5F93
    >on VXE-File PCIMP (01) + 00001C33
    >click any button.

    Probably bad RAM. Check your RAM with DocMemory.
    http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 1, 2003
  8. Rainer Schmandt, Nov 1, 2003
  9. Rainer Schmandt

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:58:27 +0100, in
    <bo1adr$15e52s$-berlin.de>
    Rainer Schmandt scrawled:

    >Hi Mike,
    >
    >"°Mike°" wrote
    >> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:11:43 +0100, in
    >>
    >> Probably bad RAM. Check your RAM with DocMemory.
    >> http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp
    >>

    >Done. The RAM (64 MB, 512 KB Cache) passed
    >the DocMemory test.
    >
    >Rainer

    Not RAM, eh? Then it can only be a hardware fault. You said
    you bought an old PC, and that there was a crackling noise
    and humming sound. Did you get any assurances from the
    seller?

    You could try stripping everything out except the graphics
    card, RAM, monitor, keyboard, mouse and hard drive. Run
    it for a while to see how it behaves, but I suspect that there
    is more going on here than meets the eye.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 1, 2003
  10. "°Mike°" wrote
    > On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:58:27 +0100, in

    > Not RAM, eh?

    I forgot to mention that I have only done the Quick
    Test rather than the Burn-In Test. Was this good
    enough?

    > Then it can only be a hardware fault. You said
    > you bought an old PC, and that there was a crackling noise
    > and humming sound. Did you get any assurances from the
    > seller?

    It was bought from privat.

    > You could try stripping everything out except the graphics
    > card, RAM, monitor, keyboard, mouse and hard drive. Run
    > it for a while to see how it behaves, but I suspect that there
    > is more going on here than meets the eye.

    Well, since it is an on-board sound card there is
    only the Floppy-Disk-Drive and the CD-ROM
    drive left. And latter I need for the games.

    What about a wrong driver for the sound card?
    Or what about formatting drive C and reinstalling
    everthing new?

    Rainer
    Rainer Schmandt, Nov 1, 2003
  11. Rainer Schmandt

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 23:20:39 +0100, in
    <bo1bo2$16po60$-berlin.de>
    Rainer Schmandt scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" wrote
    >> On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:58:27 +0100, in

    >> Not RAM, eh?

    >I forgot to mention that I have only done the Quick
    >Test rather than the Burn-In Test. Was this good
    >enough?

    The only SURE way of testing RAM is by using specialized
    RAM testers, but DocMemory should show any obvious
    faults quite well.

    >> Then it can only be a hardware fault. You said
    >> you bought an old PC, and that there was a crackling noise
    >> and humming sound. Did you get any assurances from the
    >> seller?

    >It was bought from privat.

    I see.

    >> You could try stripping everything out except the graphics
    >> card, RAM, monitor, keyboard, mouse and hard drive. Run
    >> it for a while to see how it behaves, but I suspect that there
    >> is more going on here than meets the eye.

    >Well, since it is an on-board sound card there is
    >only the Floppy-Disk-Drive and the CD-ROM
    >drive left. And latter I need for the games.
    >
    >What about a wrong driver for the sound card?
    >Or what about formatting drive C and reinstalling
    >everthing new?
    >
    >Rainer

    I didn't realise that it wasn't a fresh install. There's no
    harm in trying; in fact I say go for it. Be sure to install
    as little as possible when you first re-install Windows.
    The more stuff you install, the harder it will be to try
    to troubleshoot. One thing you should install is Aida32,
    to help you find the correct drivers.
    http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 1, 2003
  12. Rainer Schmandt

    Shep© Guest

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 18:34:38 +0100, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Rainer Schmandt"
    <> wrote :

    >Hi NG,
    >
    >I have bought an old computer for my daughter.
    >Unfortunately the sound is not working.
    >
    >It has got a pentium II processor with WIN 98 SE
    >and a sound card on board.
    >
    >I do not have any manuals for the computer.
    >
    >Windows identifies the sound card as
    >Yamaha DS-XG PCI Audio CODEC (WDM).
    >
    >Opening the chasis of the computer and looking for
    >the chipset I found a chip next to the speaker outlet
    >with the following description:
    >Yamaha YMF 740C-V 9846 AF
    >
    >Putting the plug of the speakers to the outlet I can
    >here a cracking noise and a brummmm-tone. I
    >assume that means that there is power on it.
    >
    >How can I get the sound to work?
    >
    >Rainer

    Die 1. Sache zum zu tun ist, Al zu kennen die Kleinteile auf dem
    System, also können Sie reserach die Treiber. Aida32(free) tut
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
    dies für Sie und dann,
    http://www.driverguide.com/
    frei Log-on.
    Viel Glueck :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de
    Shep©, Nov 2, 2003
  13. Hi Shep,

    "Shep©" wrote
    > On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 18:34:38 +0100,

    > Die 1. Sache zum zu tun ist, Al zu kennen die Kleinteile auf dem
    > System, also können Sie reserach die Treiber. Aida32(free) tut
    > http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
    > dies für Sie und dann,
    > http://www.driverguide.com/
    > frei Log-on.
    > Viel Glueck :)

    Thanks for your help and especially thanks for
    writing in German. I very much appriciate that.

    For identifying the drivers I have the program
    DriverWizard (which is also for free). DriverWizard
    also recommends the same driver like Windows
    does. So I downloaded it and installed it but as it
    is the same driver without any changes.

    Tonight I decided to give it up with the onboard
    sound card and installed the Creative Labs card
    again. While I did this I remembered that there
    could be a difference between the normal view of
    the device manager with the view you get in safety
    mode. And in fact there was a big difference. A lot
    more divices were shown under sound card compared
    to normal view. So I deleted all of them and let the
    system install the creative sound blaster again.

    But still there are some troubles. For example,
    starting a small film with the media player the player
    freezer.

    Therefore I will format the drive C: today and install
    everything from the scratch. Hopefully I have saved all the drivers
    well.

    Rainer
    Rainer Schmandt, Nov 2, 2003
  14. Got it!

    After formatting the drive C: and reinstalling all
    programs and drivers the sound is working pretty
    well.

    I disabled the onboard sound card in BIOS and
    installed the Creative Labs sound card. Windows 98 SE
    recognised the card and installed the drivers for it.
    I manually changed the autoexec.bat with two SET
    orders, but it also worked without it.

    Again, thanks a lot for your help.

    Rainer
    Rainer Schmandt, Nov 2, 2003