    --
    All of Usenet is in a psychological, emotional, and antisocial free fall
    into an abyss and fully immersed in a drowning pool of mental illness.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Sep 10, 2010

  2. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:02:44 -0500, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:

    > I have an Onan Marquise 7000 generator that will not turn over. It
    > clicks but, won't turn over.
    >
    > Batteries are fully charged. It has a full tank of gas.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas on how to get it started. It is encased in a box
    > type structure within an RV and it is hard to work on. In fact, I have
    > no idea how to get it out to try to work on it.

    If you can identify the cables leading from the battery to the starter
    solenoid and to the frame ground without removing the generator you
    could, at least in theory, check them for corrosion and proper tightness
    where connected. I would say that's all that is wrong with it unless you
    are in error about the battery's state of charge.

    If this is alien to you then have it looked at by someone with experience
    in small motor repair.

    Meat Plow, Sep 10, 2010

  3. On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:42:41 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:02:44 -0500, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Onan Marquise 7000 generator that will not turn over. It
    >> clicks but, won't turn over.
    >>
    >> Batteries are fully charged. It has a full tank of gas.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas on how to get it started. It is encased in a box
    >> type structure within an RV and it is hard to work on. In fact, I have
    >> no idea how to get it out to try to work on it.

    >If you can identify the cables leading from the battery to the starter
    >solenoid and to the frame ground without removing the generator you
    >could, at least in theory, check them for corrosion and proper tightness
    >where connected. I would say that's all that is wrong with it unless you
    >are in error about the battery's state of charge.
    >
    >If this is alien to you then have it looked at by someone with experience
    >in small motor repair.

    Thanks Gringo and Plow. I will check the things y'all mentioned and let
    you know if it works.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Sep 10, 2010
  4. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/10/2010 3:14 PM Just to please that super-ego, Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤
    wrote the following tidbit of information:
    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:42:41 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:02:44 -0500, Ctrl€/Alt€/Del€ wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have an Onan Marquise 7000 generator that will not turn over. It
    >>> clicks but, won't turn over.
    >>>
    >>> Batteries are fully charged. It has a full tank of gas.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any ideas on how to get it started. It is encased in a box
    >>> type structure within an RV and it is hard to work on. In fact, I have
    >>> no idea how to get it out to try to work on it.

    >> If you can identify the cables leading from the battery to the starter
    >> solenoid and to the frame ground without removing the generator you
    >> could, at least in theory, check them for corrosion and proper tightness
    >> where connected. I would say that's all that is wrong with it unless you
    >> are in error about the battery's state of charge.
    >>
    >> If this is alien to you then have it looked at by someone with experience
    >> in small motor repair.

    > Thanks Gringo and Plow. I will check the things y'all mentioned and let
    > you know if it works.

    Good Luck

    --
    OldGringo38
    Just West Of Nowhere

    OldGringo38, Sep 10, 2010
  5. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:02:44 -0500, Ctrl?/Alt?/Del? wrote:

    > I have an Onan Marquise 7000 generator that will not turn over. It
    > clicks but, won't turn over.
    >
    > Batteries are fully charged. It has a full tank of gas.
    >
    > Anyone have any ideas on how to get it started. It is encased in a box
    > type structure within an RV and it is hard to work on. In fact, I have
    > no idea how to get it out to try to work on it.

    Outside of the battery cables, my next bet is on the spark plugs.
    Regardless of age, they can get bad and worn out. No spark, no running.
    Next thing to check would be the fuel pump. Is it getting fuel?
    Maybe the fuel filter is clogged.

    richard, Sep 10, 2010
  6. On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:52:42 -0700, richard <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:02:44 -0500, Ctrl?/Alt?/Del? wrote:
    >
    >> I have an Onan Marquise 7000 generator that will not turn over. It
    >> clicks but, won't turn over.
    >>
    >> Batteries are fully charged. It has a full tank of gas.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas on how to get it started. It is encased in a box
    >> type structure within an RV and it is hard to work on. In fact, I have
    >> no idea how to get it out to try to work on it.

    >Outside of the battery cables, my next bet is on the spark plugs.
    >Regardless of age, they can get bad and worn out. No spark, no running.
    >Next thing to check would be the fuel pump. Is it getting fuel?
    >Maybe the fuel filter is clogged.

    Thanks Richard, looks like I have some work to do before the 'Bama/Penn
    State game tomorrow.

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤, Sep 10, 2010
  7. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:52:42 -0700, richard wrote:

    >> I have an Onan Marquise 7000 generator that will not turn over. It
    >> clicks but, won't turn over.
    >>
    >> Batteries are fully charged. It has a full tank of gas.
    >>
    >> Anyone have any ideas on how to get it started. It is encased in a box
    >> type structure within an RV and it is hard to work on. In fact, I have
    >> no idea how to get it out to try to work on it.

    > Outside of the battery cables, my next bet is on the spark plugs.

    Let me get this straight. If a motor has bad spark plugs it won't turn
    over? Hmmmm learn something new every day.

    Meat Plow, Sep 10, 2010
  8. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:12:22 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:52:42 -0700, richard wrote:
    >
    >>> I have an Onan Marquise 7000 generator that will not turn over. It
    >>> clicks but, won't turn over.
    >>>
    >>> Batteries are fully charged. It has a full tank of gas.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any ideas on how to get it started. It is encased in a box
    >>> type structure within an RV and it is hard to work on. In fact, I have
    >>> no idea how to get it out to try to work on it.

    >> Outside of the battery cables, my next bet is on the spark plugs.

    > Let me get this straight. If a motor has bad spark plugs it won't turn
    > over? Hmmmm learn something new every day.

    Having the experience of working on gas guzzlers from the fifties and
    sixties, it is the simple things that I always check first. Next on the
    list would be the carbuerator and the starter.

    I also had a problem with a recent car that I owned where it would have
    problems starting. The mechanic found it was that little gadget they now
    use that replaces the points. In the old days, that is another item I would
    have checked out.

    A lawnmower engine I had refused to start once. The guy who looked at it
    said it needed a new membrane thing. That's one thing I never knew about
    them little engines. Give me the big engines like a chrysler 318 and I'll
    make it run for you.

    richard, Sep 10, 2010
  9. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:24:28 -0700, richard wrote:

    >>> Outside of the battery cables, my next bet is on the spark plugs.

    >> Let me get this straight. If a motor has bad spark plugs it won't turn
    >> over? Hmmmm learn something new every day.

    > Having the experience of working on gas guzzlers from the fifties and
    > sixties, it is the simple things that I always check first. Next on the
    > list would be the carbuerator and the starter.

    Hmmmm ok. So I get in my car, turn the key and all I hear is a click.
    First thing I do is change the spark plugs. That doesn't fix it I check
    the carb. Well I can skip that, no carb. Then it's off to the starter. So
    I spend let's say $200 for a new starter, $50 for plugs but after that
    when I hit the key it still clicks. What next?

    Meat Plow, Sep 10, 2010
  10. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/10/2010 4:12 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:52:42 -0700, richard wrote:
    >
    >>> I have an Onan Marquise 7000 generator that will not turn over. It
    >>> clicks but, won't turn over.
    >>>
    >>> Batteries are fully charged. It has a full tank of gas.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone have any ideas on how to get it started. It is encased in a box
    >>> type structure within an RV and it is hard to work on. In fact, I have
    >>> no idea how to get it out to try to work on it.

    >> Outside of the battery cables, my next bet is on the spark plugs.

    > Let me get this straight. If a motor has bad spark plugs it won't turn
    > over? Hmmmm learn something new every day.

    By God that's a new one on me also, I'll have to thank him some day.

    OldGringo38, Sep 10, 2010
  11. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Meat Plow <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:24:28 -0700, richard wrote:

    >>> Let me get this straight. If a motor has bad spark plugs it won't turn
    >>> over? Hmmmm learn something new every day.

    >> Having the experience of working on gas guzzlers from the fifties and
    >> sixties, it is the simple things that I always check first. Next on the
    >> list would be the carbuerator and the starter.

    >Hmmmm ok. So I get in my car, turn the key and all I hear is a click.
    >First thing I do is change the spark plugs. That doesn't fix it I check
    >the carb. Well I can skip that, no carb. Then it's off to the starter. So
    >I spend let's say $200 for a new starter, $50 for plugs but after that
    >when I hit the key it still clicks. What next?

    Did you hit the starter with a broom handle? Did you hit the
    solenoid with a broom handle?

    Mike "did you hit RtS with a broom handle?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 10, 2010
  12. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 18:25:54 -0400, Mike Yetto wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> Having the experience of working on gas guzzlers from the fifties and
    >>> sixties, it is the simple things that I always check first. Next on
    >>> the list would be the carbuerator and the starter.

    >>Hmmmm ok. So I get in my car, turn the key and all I hear is a click.
    >>First thing I do is change the spark plugs. That doesn't fix it I check
    >>the carb. Well I can skip that, no carb. Then it's off to the starter.
    >>So I spend let's say $200 for a new starter, $50 for plugs but after
    >>that when I hit the key it still clicks. What next?

    > Did you hit the starter with a broom handle? Did you hit the solenoid
    > with a broom handle?
    >
    > Mike "did you hit RtS with a broom handle?" Yetto

    No, I checked the battery clamps. One was loose and after I tightened it,
    the motor fired right up. Well at least I got new plugs and a starter huh?

    Meat Plow, Sep 10, 2010
  13. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 21:32:42 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:24:28 -0700, richard wrote:

    >>> Let me get this straight. If a motor has bad spark plugs it won't turn
    >>> over? Hmmmm learn something new every day.

    >> Having the experience of working on gas guzzlers from the fifties and
    >> sixties, it is the simple things that I always check first. Next on the
    >> list would be the carbuerator and the starter.

    > Hmmmm ok. So I get in my car, turn the key and all I hear is a click.
    > First thing I do is change the spark plugs. That doesn't fix it I check
    > the carb. Well I can skip that, no carb. Then it's off to the starter. So
    > I spend let's say $200 for a new starter, $50 for plugs but after that
    > when I hit the key it still clicks. What next?

    I only said those are things I would check first. I did not guarantee that
    replacing them would fix the problem. There are tools available to verify
    if a mechanical device is good or not.

    richard, Sep 10, 2010
  14. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:33:00 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:

    > On 9/10/2010 4:12 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:

    >>> Outside of the battery cables, my next bet is on the spark plugs.

    >> Let me get this straight. If a motor has bad spark plugs it won't turn
    >> over? Hmmmm learn something new every day.
    >>

    > By God that's a new one on me also, I'll have to thank him some day.

    Oh sheesh. Like man, do you know the basic requirements of creating fire?
    What are the three things you need to make fire?
    Take away one, no fire.
    If we have fuel, oxygen, and no ignition or spark, we have no fire.

    In an engine, the plugs are the easiest thing to check. From there, you
    begin checking the other items in the line of events that cause the spark.

    richard, Sep 11, 2010
  15. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/11/2010 4:08 AM Just to please that super-ego, richard wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:33:00 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >
    >> On 9/10/2010 4:12 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:

    >>> Let me get this straight. If a motor has bad spark plugs it won't turn
    >>> over? Hmmmm learn something new every day.
    >>>

    >> By God that's a new one on me also, I'll have to thank him some day.

    > Oh sheesh. Like man, do you know the basic requirements of creating fire?
    > What are the three things you need to make fire?
    > Take away one, no fire.
    > If we have fuel, oxygen, and no ignition or spark, we have no fire.
    >
    > In an engine, the plugs are the easiest thing to check. From there, you
    > begin checking the other items in the line of events that cause the spark.

    What happens if you don't strike the match.

    OldGringo38, Sep 11, 2010
  16. OldGringo38 wrote:
    > On 9/11/2010 4:08 AM Just to please that super-ego, richard wrote the
    > following tidbit of information:
    >> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 16:33:00 -0500, OldGringo38 wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 9/10/2010 4:12 PM Just to please that super-ego, Meat Plow wrote the
    >>> following tidbit of information:

    >>> By God that's a new one on me also, I'll have to thank him some day.

    >> Oh sheesh. Like man, do you know the basic requirements of creating fire?
    >> What are the three things you need to make fire?
    >> Take away one, no fire.
    >> If we have fuel, oxygen, and no ignition or spark, we have no fire.
    >>
    >> In an engine, the plugs are the easiest thing to check. From there, you
    >> begin checking the other items in the line of events that cause the
    >> spark.

    > What happens if you don't strike the match.

    I fill my bong with tears...

    §ñühw¤£f, Sep 11, 2010
  17. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 9/11/2010 9:12 AM Just to please that super-ego, §ñühw¤£f wrote the
    following tidbit of information:
    > OldGringo38 wrote:
    >> On 9/11/2010 4:08 AM Just to please that super-ego, richard wrote the
    >> following tidbit of information:

    >>> Oh sheesh. Like man, do you know the basic requirements of creating
    >>> fire?
    >>> What are the three things you need to make fire?
    >>> Take away one, no fire.
    >>> If we have fuel, oxygen, and no ignition or spark, we have no fire.
    >>>
    >>> In an engine, the plugs are the easiest thing to check. From there, you
    >>> begin checking the other items in the line of events that cause the
    >>> spark.

    >> What happens if you don't strike the match.
    >>

    > I fill my bong with tears...

    LMAO :)

    OldGringo38, Sep 11, 2010
  18. Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤

    RickMerrill Guest

    Ctrl¤/Alt¤/Del¤ wrote:
    > I have an Onan Marquise 7000 generator that will not turn over. It
    > clicks but, won't turn over.

    "clicks"? That sound would come from a starter relay or a starter motor.
    Does the generator have a hand-crank or a battery powered starter? If the latter
    then you need to jump-start and recharge the battery

    The "click" means that either the battery is weak OR
    that the starter motor has failed.

    Try a jumpstart.

    RickMerrill, Sep 13, 2010