On the Road

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark Johnson, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Mark Johnson

    Mark Johnson Guest

    You're away. You wonder with your 512 CF cards, shooting RAW, that
    it's going to fill up by the end of the day. Say just two cards. 1
    Meg. You're in the middle of some desert. Or you took a travelocity
    bargain flight to NYC, or Paris, or whatever.

    That night - then what? Burn CD-ROM? Even CD-Rom can get bumped or
    bent or something so that it won't play. Memory stick or HD? Maybe in
    security check, or somewhere else, it hits a strong field. I don't
    know.

    But I wonder if anyone knows of a service that's international that
    allows wireless upload - presumeably ftp to one of your web sites.
    Then it's done. Security. Safety. And your pictures are there for you,
    on that server, wherever it is in the world. We're only talking 1 or 2
    meg a night. Even at 56K, that doesn't take long.

    Is there another way to upload besides using a laptop? Is there a
    device, like a Roadstor, that can take a CF card and either by
    wireless, or some physical internet hookup, use ftp to upload to your
    site or server? Roadstor won't.

    Just wondered. If you're out away from a 'hot spot', and you don't
    have a laptop . . ?

    Mark Johnson, Feb 21, 2004

  2. Mark Johnson wrote:

    > You're away. You wonder with your 512 CF cards, shooting RAW, that
    > it's going to fill up by the end of the day. Say just two cards. 1
    > Meg.

    Umm, 1 Gigabyte, not Megabyte. Unless you've got 512 kilobyte CF cards,
    of course.. :)

    > But I wonder if anyone knows of a service that's international that
    > allows wireless upload - presumeably ftp to one of your web sites.
    > Then it's done. Security. Safety. And your pictures are there for you,
    > on that server, wherever it is in the world. We're only talking 1 or 2
    > meg a night. Even at 56K, that doesn't take long.

    Still at loss with the units.. If you do shoot those 2 cards a day, then
    you'd have ~1GB of files to upload, and that, my frien, will take long @
    56K.. :) If you have access to some internet cafe, you could upload
    from those, although that would take some time as well, depending on the
    connection they have.

    > Is there another way to upload besides using a laptop? Is there a
    > device, like a Roadstor, that can take a CF card and either by
    > wireless, or some physical internet hookup, use ftp to upload to your
    > site or server? Roadstor won't.

    Device or not, you'll need a fast internet connection at any rate if you
    plan to shoot ~1GB of pictures per day and upload those.

    -JP

    Jukka-Pekka Suominen, Feb 21, 2004

  3. Mark Johnson

    Robertwgross Guest

    Mark wrote:
    >You're away. You wonder with your 512 CF cards, shooting RAW, that
    >it's going to fill up by the end of the day. Say just two cards. 1
    >Meg. You're in the middle of some desert. Or you took a travelocity
    >bargain flight to NYC, or Paris, or whatever.
    >That night - then what? Burn CD-ROM? Even CD-Rom can get bumped or
    >bent or something so that it won't play. Memory stick or HD? Maybe in
    >security check, or somewhere else, it hits a strong field. I don't
    >know.
    >But I wonder if anyone knows of a service that's international that
    >allows wireless upload - presumeably ftp to one of your web sites.
    >Then it's done. Security. Safety. And your pictures are there for you,
    >on that server, wherever it is in the world. We're only talking 1 or 2
    >meg a night. Even at 56K, that doesn't take long.
    >Is there another way to upload besides using a laptop? Is there a
    >device, like a Roadstor, that can take a CF card and either by
    >wireless, or some physical internet hookup, use ftp to upload to your
    >site or server? Roadstor won't.
    >Just wondered. If you're out away from a 'hot spot', and you don't
    >have a laptop . . ?

    Why not go with the solution that has been discussed so many times? A portable
    storage device has a small laptop-style hard disk inside it. You plug in your
    memory card, the lights flash for a few minutes, and then you remove your
    memory card. You can buy then with all sorts of hard disk capacities or else
    install your own hard disk. When you reach home, you plug the portable storage
    into the computer via USB, and then transfer the entire contents. Voila!

    ---Bob Gross---

    Robertwgross, Feb 21, 2004
  4. Mark Johnson

    Mark Johnson Guest

    (Robertwgross) wrote:

    >Mark wrote:
    >>You're away. You wonder with your 512 CF cards, shooting RAW, that
    >>it's going to fill up by the end of the day. Say just two cards. 1
    >>Meg. You're in the middle of some desert. Or you took a travelocity
    >>bargain flight to NYC, or Paris, or whatever.
    >>That night - then what? Burn CD-ROM? Even CD-Rom can get bumped or
    >>bent or something so that it won't play. Memory stick or HD? Maybe in
    >>security check, or somewhere else, it hits a strong field. I don't
    >>know.

    >Why not go with the solution that has been discussed so many times? A portable
    >storage device has a small laptop-style hard disk inside it.

    Because I worry that it might be too volatile under different
    conditions, as I just said. I thought CD-ROM would be more reliable.
    But it's even too easily to physically damage these to make them
    corrupt or unreadable.

    Mark Johnson, Feb 22, 2004
  5. Mark Johnson

    Mark Johnson Guest

    Jukka-Pekka Suominen <> wrote:

    >Mark Johnson wrote:
    >
    >> You're away. You wonder with your 512 CF cards, shooting RAW, that
    >> it's going to fill up by the end of the day. Say just two cards. 1
    >> Meg.

    >Umm, 1 Gigabyte

    That was a typo.

    >If you have access to some internet cafe, you could upload
    >from those, although that would take some time as well, depending on the
    >connection they have.

    But that's what I wondered. Do you need to go to some 'hot spot', some
    place. Is there an alternative?

    >> Is there another way to upload besides using a laptop? Is there a
    >> device, like a Roadstor, that can take a CF card and either by
    >> wireless, or some physical internet hookup, use ftp to upload to your
    >> site or server? Roadstor won't.

    >Device or not, you'll need a fast internet connection at any rate if you
    >plan to shoot ~1GB of pictures per day and upload those.

    I wondered if anyone had done this, and had some advice on it.

    Mark Johnson, Feb 22, 2004
  6. Mark Johnson

    Nibbler Guest

    > >>But I wonder if anyone knows of a service that's international that
    > >>allows wireless upload - presumeably ftp to one of your web sites.
    > >>Then it's done. Security. Safety. And your pictures are there for you,
    > >>on that server, wherever it is in the world. We're only talking 1 or 2
    > >>meg a night. Even at 56K, that doesn't take long.

    now that's a cell feature i'd love to see, mem slot with ftp upload/download
    :)
    the possibilites!

    Nibbler, Feb 22, 2004
  7. Mark Johnson

    bob Guest

    Mark Johnson <> wrote in

    > You're away. You wonder with your 512 CF cards, shooting RAW, that
    > it's going to fill up by the end of the day. Say just two cards. 1
    > Meg. You're in the middle of some desert. Or you took a travelocity
    > bargain flight to NYC, or Paris, or whatever.

    I think there is a market need that a big company like Wal-Mart could
    cash in on. They already have all the hardware and the infrastructure
    most places in the USA, and they will cover most of the world shortly.

    They could sell a service where you could go in with your CF card, and
    they could upload the data to their network. They could do backups on the
    data, to ensure it's safety. When you got home, you could go to a nearby
    Wal-Mart, and get the data burned to CD, or download it via your high
    speed connection, if you have one. They could maintain the data for as
    long as you were willing to pay for it, which could be the perfect "off
    site" backup. They could enable printing your photos to their Frontier,
    which would let you virtually "ship" prints to any place.

    Well, back to reality now...

    Bob

    --
    remove the backwards "SPAM" to reply.

    bob, Feb 23, 2004
  8. "Mark Johnson" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > But I wonder if anyone knows of a service that's international that
    > allows wireless upload - presumeably ftp to one of your web sites.
    > Then it's done. Security. Safety. And your pictures are there for you,
    > on that server, wherever it is in the world. We're only talking 1 or 2
    > meg a night. Even at 56K, that doesn't take long.

    We established you meant a gigabyte. Upload speeds on a 56k modem are
    really about half as fast as the download (in the 28k neighborhood), so in
    reality, it would take you maybe 8 hours at full throttle bandwidth to
    upload a gig of data. Possible to do, but not all that practicle.

    > Is there another way to upload besides using a laptop? Is there a
    > device, like a Roadstor, that can take a CF card and either by
    > wireless, or some physical internet hookup, use ftp to upload to your
    > site or server? Roadstor won't.
    >
    > Just wondered. If you're out away from a 'hot spot', and you don't
    > have a laptop . . ?

    I've heard of (but never actually seen) cybercafes that will allow you to
    dump and transfer big chunks of data, but being able to find one of these
    when you want or need it seems impractical too.

    As others have suggested, your best bet is to get a storage solution
    designed for the situation. No, they're not 100 percent guaranteed to
    survive everything, but they are pretty rugged and reliable and the best
    peace of mind available at the moment.

    - jz

    Jeff Zawrotny, Feb 23, 2004
  9. "Jeff Zawrotny" <> wrote in message

    > We established you meant a gigabyte. Upload speeds on a 56k modem are
    > really about half as fast as the download (in the 28k neighborhood), so in
    > reality, it would take you maybe 8 hours at full throttle bandwidth to
    > upload a gig of data. Possible to do, but not all that practicle.

    Oops. Error in my own calculations. That would be roughly *80* hours. Not
    exactly practical.

    -jz

    Jeff Zawrotny, Feb 23, 2004
  10. Mark Johnson

    Mark Johnson Guest

    "Jeff Zawrotny" <> wrote:

    >> meg a night. Even at 56K, that doesn't take long.

    >We established you meant a gigabyte. Upload speeds on a 56k modem are
    >really about half as fast as the download (in the 28k neighborhood), so in
    >reality, it would take you maybe 8 hours at full throttle bandwidth

    Long time, whatever it is. You'd need broadband to send it all. But
    then you'd need a place to send it, a server that gives you multi-gig
    storage. And I think it more practical that you have a way to review
    the photos, either in the camera, in the offload device, on a laptop,
    and then save away the best, the few, to some external server for
    insurance sake. It would be very convenient to do that wirelessly, in
    the field.

    >> Is there another way to upload besides using a laptop? Is there a
    >> device, like a Roadstor, that can take a CF card and either by
    >> wireless, or some physical internet hookup, use ftp to upload to your
    >> site or server? Roadstor won't.

    >As others have suggested, your best bet is to get a storage solution
    >designed for the situation. No, they're not 100 percent guaranteed to
    >survive everything, but they are pretty rugged and reliable and the best
    >peace of mind available at the moment.

    Roadstor looks good. I would think CD-Rom would be reasonably robust.
    But I've had cases of loading them wrong, or otherwise damaging these,
    to where they become unreadable. They certainly aren't bulletproof.

    Mark Johnson, Feb 23, 2004