    I am also wondering about the last three of the series, will these be
    available on a DVD set? Road to Rio, Road to Bali, and Road to Hong Kong.

    Robert

    Robert Kaiser, May 31, 2004

  2. says...

    > Are there are comprehensive sets of the "On the Road" movies I recently saw
    > a new set at BestBuy which featured the first four movies: The On the Road
    > With Bob Hope and Bing Crosby Collection (Road to Singapore/Road to
    > Zanzibar/Road to Morocco/Road to Utopia)

    That's the only "comprehensive" set there is. Leaving aside the original
    DVD editions of the films, which were released separately and in a boxed
    set about a year ago.

    The trouble is that those four, filmed originally by Paramount, are
    currently owned by Universal. ROAD TO RIO and ROAD TO BALI are in the
    Public Domain (they were produced and owned by Bob Hope's production
    company, which for some unknown reason let all of their films fall into
    the Public Domain), and ROAD TO HONG KONG, originally released by United
    Artists, is owned by MGM.

    > However, it seems as if there are no extra fearures,

    Actually, if memory serves, there are a couple of minor featurettes,
    ported over from the previous run of the "Bob Hope Tribute Collection"
    titles. I could be wrong on that. But the point of this -- as well as
    Universal's other "Franchise Collection" releases -- is to provide a lot
    of movie for a relatively small amount of money. You're getting these
    four movies for about $5 a piece.

    > and I don't know anything about the sound and video quality.

    They aren't going to blow your socks off, but they're probably as good
    as they ever looked since their initial theatrical releases.

    > Any thoughts as to the best DVD editions of these movies that are currently
    > available?

    For those four entries, get this set.

    > Any news on new editions?

    Since this set just came out a month ago, and there were previous
    releases of the movies, I doubt there's yet another release being
    planned.

    > I am also wondering about the last three of the series, will these be
    > available on a DVD set? Road to Rio, Road to Bali, and Road to Hong Kong.

    Not in a set. RIO and BALI are each available from several P.D. labels,
    sometimes paired with another movie. But oddly enough, the two are never
    paired together.

    The best version of BALI I've come across is on the "American Home
    Treasures" imprint from BFS:

    (http://www.dvdplanet.com/product_listing.asp?productid=18437
    &format=DVD)

    as a double feature with another P.D. Bob Hope films, MY FAVORITE
    BRUNETTE (this is also the best version of that film I've seen on P.D.
    DVD).

    I haven't come across a decent version of RIO yet.

    ROAD TO HONG KONG is available on DVD from MGM.

    -- jayembee

    Jerry Boyajian, Jun 1, 2004

  3. On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Jerry Boyajian wrote:

    > I haven't come across a decent version of ROAD TO RIO yet.

    I got one from (I think) Brentwood that looked pretty decent. In fact, it
    might have been mastered from the old RCA/Columbia laserdisc.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jun 1, 2004