On the lighter side...

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Imhotep, Sep 17, 2005.

  1. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Imhotep, Sep 17, 2005

  2. Imhotep

    nemo_outis Guest

    Imhotep <> wrote in
    news:eek::

    > This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so
    > bazaar that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe
    > this article is just the thing you need...
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_nm/australia_electricity_dc
    >
    > Im

    A weird marketplace is a bizarre bazaar :)

    Regards,

    nemo_outis, Sep 17, 2005

  3. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    nemo_outis wrote:

    > Imhotep <> wrote in
    >
    >> This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so
    >> bazaar that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe
    >> this article is just the thing you need...
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_nm/australia_electricity_dc
    >>
    >> Im

    > A weird marketplace is a bizarre bazaar :)
    >
    > Regards,

    Ya, sorry about that...damn spell checker...

    Imhotep, Sep 17, 2005
  4. Imhotep

    nemo_outis Guest

    Imhotep <> wrote in news:Ss2dnbWsZ-0u6LHeRVn-
    :

    > nemo_outis wrote:
    >
    >> Imhotep <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so
    >>> bazaar that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe
    >>> this article is just the thing you need...
    >>>
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_nm/australia_electricity_dc
    >>>
    >>> Im

    >> A weird marketplace is a bizarre bazaar :)
    >>
    >> Regards,

    > Ya, sorry about that...damn spell checker...

    And remember that a "chic sheik" is pronounced "sheek shake" not "shick
    sheek" :)

    nemo_outis, Sep 17, 2005
  5. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 17 Sep 2005 19:56:06 GMT, "nemo_outis" <> wrote:

    >Imhotep <> wrote in
    >
    >> This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so
    >> bazaar that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe
    >> this article is just the thing you need...
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_nm/australia_electricity_dc
    >>
    >> Im

    >A weird marketplace is a bizarre bazaar :)

    and the story was about a bizarre blazer

    That does not happen here as more marble floors than carpets
    and high humidity.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 18, 2005
  6. Imhotep

    Imhotep Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:

    > On 17 Sep 2005 19:56:06 GMT, "nemo_outis" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Imhotep <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so
    >>> bazaar that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe
    >>> this article is just the thing you need...
    >>>
    >>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_nm/australia_electricity_dc
    >>>
    >>> Im

    >>A weird marketplace is a bizarre bazaar :)

    > and the story was about a bizarre blazer

    Nice one...

    > That does not happen here as more marble floors than carpets
    > and high humidity.

    Here too. We have a lot of ceramic tiled floors, and yup, lots of
    humidity :-(

    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Im

    Imhotep, Sep 18, 2005
  7. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 19:38:22 -0400, Imhotep <>
    wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >
    >> On 17 Sep 2005 19:56:06 GMT, "nemo_outis" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Imhotep <> wrote in

    >>>A weird marketplace is a bizarre bazaar :)

    >> and the story was about a bizarre blazer

    >Nice one...
    >
    >> That does not happen here as more marble floors than carpets
    >> and high humidity.

    >Here too. We have a lot of ceramic tiled floors, and yup, lots of
    >humidity :-(

    It is one of the reasons one specifies vinyl tiles for the surface of
    computer rooms rather than carpet, because although they result in
    more noise, they don't generate static (or dust) so there really is a
    computer security issue - physical security. Although todays hardware
    is more robust than the tape drives and disk drives of the past for
    high reliability the environment is critical.

    An interesting one I saw (on the ent) was

    http://www.havenco.com

    Where the equipment was in the steel support of an offshore
    tower in a 100% nitrogen atmosphere.

    No shocking experiences there :)
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 18, 2005
  8. Imhotep

    Ken Ward Guest

    wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >
    >> On 17 Sep 2005 19:56:06 GMT, "nemo_outis" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Imhotep <> wrote in

    >>>A weird marketplace is a bizarre bazaar :)

    >> and the story was about a bizarre blazer

    >Nice one...
    >
    >> That does not happen here as more marble floors than carpets
    >> and high humidity.

    >Here too. We have a lot of ceramic tiled floors, and yup, lots of
    >humidity :-(
    >
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    >Im

    This puzzles me - only one Victorian newspaper carried it & that was
    bylined the society page reporter - source for most stories is Sydney
    NSW. No TV news here carried it that I saw.

    I might believe it late summer, say feb/march after three days of a
    hot northerly, but its been raining in Victoria pretty solidly for the
    last three weeks. It seems to me the smell associated with this story
    is not ozone.

    Ken Ward, Sep 18, 2005
  9. Imhotep

    Winged Guest

    Imhotep wrote:
    > This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so bazaar
    > that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe this article is
    > just the thing you need...
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_nm/australia_electricity_dc
    >
    > Im

    sheez can you imagine him walking by your computer....I think very
    security related...great article..I had to go to to Reuters to see if
    information faked..It wasn't!

    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...34_RTRIDST_0_ODD-AUSTRALIA-ELECTRICITY-DC.XML

    Winged

    Winged, Sep 18, 2005
  10. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:23:13 -0500, Winged <>
    wrote:

    >.I had to go to to Reuters to see if information faked..It wasn't!

    Still possible it was 'rather exagerated' possibly as a result
    of exposure of journalists to alcoholic vapour.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 18, 2005
  11. Imhotep

    Ken Ward Guest

    wrote:

    >Imhotep wrote:
    >> This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so bazaar
    >> that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe this article is
    >> just the thing you need...
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_nm/australia_electricity_dc
    >>
    >> Im

    >sheez can you imagine him walking by your computer....I think very
    >security related...great article..I had to go to to Reuters to see if
    >information faked..It wasn't!
    >
    >http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...34_RTRIDST_0_ODD-AUSTRALIA-ELECTRICITY-DC.XML
    >
    >Winged

    Still think its a furphy - wouldn't be the first time a news service
    has carried a fake story. All feeds seem to be exactly the same,
    indicating a single news source, which is strange. The story was not
    featured on TV here to my knowledge, & I couldn't find it in the local
    newspapers. The only national broadcaster to feature it on their web
    site say they could not contact anyone to confirm the story.

    Warrnambool is in Western Victoria. The story is bylined Sydney NSW &
    quotes Sydney professors - not as one would expect Melbourne &
    Melbourne professors.

    We have been having a lot of rain for a number of weeks. Warrnambool
    is coastal; it would have rained the night before & again that
    afternoon - not weather conducive to static electricity.

    It may be true, but it doesn't feel right.

    Ken Ward, Sep 19, 2005
  12. Imhotep

    Winged Guest

    Ken Ward wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 11:23:13 -0500, Winged <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Imhotep wrote:
    >>
    >>>This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so bazaar
    >>>that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe this article is
    >>>just the thing you need...
    >>>
    >>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_nm/australia_electricity_dc
    >>>
    >>>Im

    >>sheez can you imagine him walking by your computer....I think very
    >>security related...great article..I had to go to to Reuters to see if
    >>information faked..It wasn't!
    >>
    >>http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...34_RTRIDST_0_ODD-AUSTRALIA-ELECTRICITY-DC.XML
    >>
    >>Winged

    > Still think its a furphy - wouldn't be the first time a news service
    > has carried a fake story. All feeds seem to be exactly the same,
    > indicating a single news source, which is strange. The story was not
    > featured on TV here to my knowledge, & I couldn't find it in the local
    > newspapers. The only national broadcaster to feature it on their web
    > site say they could not contact anyone to confirm the story.
    >
    > Warrnambool is in Western Victoria. The story is bylined Sydney NSW &
    > quotes Sydney professors - not as one would expect Melbourne &
    > Melbourne professors.
    >
    > We have been having a lot of rain for a number of weeks. Warrnambool
    > is coastal; it would have rained the night before & again that
    > afternoon - not weather conducive to static electricity.
    >
    > It may be true, but it doesn't feel right.

    no it doesn't, otherwise i want the patent on that jacket...Static
    electricity generated by a jacket potentially could generate lots of
    voltage...but amperage to required to transfer through shoes and smoking
    carpet is not the construct of static electricity..but it was a fun
    article..
    Winged

    Winged, Sep 19, 2005
  13. Imhotep

    Moe Trin Guest

    In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    <>, Ken Ward wrote:

    >It seems to me the smell associated with this story is not ozone.

    See

    Newsgroups: alt.folklore.urban
    Subject: Power-dressing man leaves trail of destruction

    Thread was up to 13 articles as of 1300Z on Mon Sep 19. Thread started
    on 17 Sep 2005 06:03:04 GMT. They tend to agree with you.
    http://groups.google.com has the thread if you don't subscribe to the
    newsgroup.

    Old guy

    Moe Trin, Sep 19, 2005
  14. Imhotep

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:50:59 -0500,
    (Moe Trin) wrote:

    >In the Usenet newsgroup alt.computer.security, in article
    ><>, Ken Ward wrote:
    >
    >>It seems to me the smell associated with this story is not ozone.

    >See
    >
    > Newsgroups: alt.folklore.urban
    > Subject: Power-dressing man leaves trail of destruction
    >
    >Thread was up to 13 articles as of 1300Z on Mon Sep 19. Thread started
    >on 17 Sep 2005 06:03:04 GMT. They tend to agree with you.
    >http://groups.google.com has the thread if you don't subscribe to the
    >newsgroup.

    It seems to have spread everywhere, for some technical comments

    http://www.advancedphysics.org/viewthread.php?tid=2328

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 19, 2005
  15. "Winged" <> wrote in message
    > Imhotep wrote:
    > > This article has nothing to do with computer security but it was so

    bazaar
    > > that it made me laugh, so if you are having a bad day maybe this article

    is
    > > just the thing you need...
    > >
    > > http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050916/od_nm/australia_electricity_dc
    > >
    > > Im

    > sheez can you imagine him walking by your computer....I think very
    > security related...great article..I had to go to to Reuters to see if
    > information faked..It wasn't!

    http://today.reuters.com/news/newsA...34_RTRIDST_0_ODD-AUSTRALIA-ELECTRICITY-DC.XML

    The dead-body-discovered-under-bed-by-German-tourists story used to roll in
    about every six months or so. Someone at a local paper has a slow news day,
    picks up the story from the Reuters ODD pages. Reuters stringer picks it up
    from the local paper, submits it to Reuters... and so on.

    The "naked woman on inflatable teeth rescued by naked man on inflatable
    lobster" (punchline by coast/lifeguard: "happens all the time") story only
    went out the once (that I can remember), but still turns up in print every
    year or two.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!