on the bubble - D70

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by JD, May 31, 2004.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
    architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
    happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome prints
    ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am wondering
    if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going to
    Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great. I do
    have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
    Here are some questions.
    1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or do
    you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.

    2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?
    3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards
    4. What are the disadvantages of digital?
    5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

    Thanks for your help in this.
    JD
    Chesapeake, VA US of A

    JD, May 31, 2004

  2. JD

    Tom Scales Guest

    See comments below

    Tom
    "JD" <> wrote in message news:yYFuc.3309$eP.581@lakeread01...
    > I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
    > architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
    > happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome

    prints
    > ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am

    wondering
    > if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going to
    > Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great. I

    do
    > have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
    > Here are some questions.
    > 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or do
    > you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.

    Nope, what you see is what you get -- it's a true SLR.

    > 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?

    Sure. I regularly print 24x36 on my Epson 7600 from my D100. The D70 is
    the same sensor

    > 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards

    I'd consider one of the 'matched' flash units -- the SB600 or SB800. Lots
    of memory cards (preferably several mediums rather than one large -- safer
    if one fails). Spare battery. If you're taking a laptop, that's probably
    it as you can offload the cards. If not, you'll need a 'storage device' to
    offload the cards.

    Oh, and a really good photoprinter. Epson 2200 or the like. I'd recommend
    Epson printers, from personal experience.

    > 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?

    Not many, but the most obvious is the longevity of the negative.

    > 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

    No. The D70 is actually superior to the D100. Same sensor, better
    electronics. Body on the D100 may be a little tougher. I'm about (today) to
    order a D70 to compliment my D100.

    Tom Scales, May 31, 2004

  3. JD

    leo Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message
    > See comments below
    >
    > Tom
    > "JD" <> wrote in message

    > > I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
    > > architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
    > > happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome

    > prints
    > > ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am

    > wondering
    > > if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going

    > > Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great.

    > do
    > > have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
    > > Here are some questions.
    > > 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or

    do
    > > you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.

    > Nope, what you see is what you get -- it's a true SLR.
    >
    > > 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?

    > Sure. I regularly print 24x36 on my Epson 7600 from my D100. The D70 is
    > the same sensor
    >
    > > 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards

    > I'd consider one of the 'matched' flash units -- the SB600 or SB800. Lots
    > of memory cards (preferably several mediums rather than one large -- safer
    > if one fails). Spare battery. If you're taking a laptop, that's probably
    > it as you can offload the cards. If not, you'll need a 'storage device' to
    > offload the cards.
    >
    > Oh, and a really good photoprinter. Epson 2200 or the like. I'd recommend
    > Epson printers, from personal experience.
    >
    > > 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?

    > Not many, but the most obvious is the longevity of the negative.
    >
    > > 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

    > No. The D70 is actually superior to the D100. Same sensor, better
    > electronics. Body on the D100 may be a little tougher. I'm about (today)

    > order a D70 to compliment my D100.
    >

    > > Thanks for your help in this.
    > > JD
    > > Chesapeake, VA US of A

    I print 12x18 at Costco's One Hour Photo - Noritsu "laser" printer. I am
    using Canon 300D with 50mm prime lens - one of the sharpest lens. you CAN
    see slight softness at that print size but generally very acceptable for my
    need. I haven't made anything bigger than that. I'd think at 24x36, the
    print is pretty blurry but might be okay it's only need to be seen many feet
    away, so it depends on your need. If you want to sell a print at that size,
    I think you may want a Canon 1Ds or 1D Mark II for that.

    leo, May 31, 2004
  4. JD

    Tom Scales Guest

    I can't comment on the 300D, but the 24x36" print from my D100 with the
    12-24 Nikkor is tack sharp. Not soft at all. Upsized at 360dpi in
    Photoshop, sharpened appropriately and printed. The proper viewing distance
    is, of course, not right up next to the print, but even up close it is very
    sharp. Sharper than the results of scanning at 4000dpi on my Nikon LS-4000
    film scanner.

    Tom

    <snip>

    Tom Scales, May 31, 2004
  5. JD

    Bruce Guest

    > I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
    > architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
    > happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome prints
    > ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am wondering
    > if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going to
    > Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great. I do
    > have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
    > Here are some questions.
    > 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or do
    > you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.
    >
    > 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?
    > 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards
    > 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?
    > 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

    * Extra battery for body & flash (NiMH)
    * Charger for flash batteries
    * Memory card (1GB goes for about $200-250)
    * Offline storage/backup (20GB about $350) for long trips
    * DVD burner (high quality) for backing up your files
    * DVD media (high quality)
    * Raw converter software

    Bruce, May 31, 2004
  6. JD

    leo Guest

    "Tom Scales" <> wrote in message

    > I can't comment on the 300D, but the 24x36" print from my D100 with the
    > 12-24 Nikkor is tack sharp. Not soft at all. Upsized at 360dpi in
    > Photoshop, sharpened appropriately and printed. The proper viewing

    distance
    > is, of course, not right up next to the print, but even up close it is

    very
    > sharp. Sharper than the results of scanning at 4000dpi on my Nikon

    LS-4000
    > film scanner.
    >
    > Tom

    The picture is very sharp on screen at 1:1 zoom. This is not the question of
    camera/lens comparison. I do think at 6MP, the optimal print size is 8x14.
    Anything larger depends on how satisfy you can tolerate the softness. I have
    never used a good 35mm SLR camera so I can't say how good when they are
    enlarged to 24x36. The 6MP might well beat 35mm film at that size.
    Nevertheless, it certainly goes downhill after 8x14 without using a loupe to
    examine. And as I said the 12x18 is very good for my need. It all depends on
    your need. I have seen beautiful sharp landscape photos _up close_ at that
    size and bigger in art galleries. I think they are possibly done at medium
    or large format.

    leo, May 31, 2004
  7. The big question here is do you mean inches or cm. If you mean cm you should
    have no problems, but 18 x 24 inches is too big for 6MP's. With this much
    interpolation it becomes a computer graphic and not a photograph.

    Tony R.

    Tony Robinson, Jun 1, 2004
  8. JD

    leo Guest

    "Tony Robinson" <> wrote in message
    > The big question here is do you mean inches or cm. If you mean cm you

    should
    > have no problems, but 18 x 24 inches is too big for 6MP's. With this much
    > interpolation it becomes a computer graphic and not a photograph.
    >
    > Tony R.
    >
    > "JD" <> wrote in message

    > > I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
    > > architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
    > > happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome

    > prints
    > > ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am

    > wondering
    > > if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital. I am going

    > > Yellowstone this fall and am thinking that a D 70 would be just great.

    > do
    > > have to sell my wife on spending $1300-1500 on a new toy.
    > > Here are some questions.
    > > 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or

    do
    > > you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.
    > >
    > > 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?
    > > 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards
    > > 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?
    > > 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help in this.
    > > JD
    > > Chesapeake, VA US of A

    As I said, 8x12 inches is close to the optimal print. How far you stretch
    the limit depends on one's need. The DSLR does deliver noise free pictures
    at ISO100. It would give you an advantage to play with Photoshop's
    sharpening tools than compact cameras and perhaps even 35mm films. The
    current DSLRs, Canon or Nikon (Sony sensor), still blow out highlight fairly
    easily though.

    leo, Jun 1, 2004
  9. JD

    Tom Scales Guest

    Have you actually TRIED it or is this your THEORY?

    I understand that an optimal size is smaller, but the D70/D100 produces
    results that upsize to larger sizes VERY WELL. I have very large prints
    from my Epson 7600 that are from the D100.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jun 1, 2004
  10. JD

    r. a. parks Guest

    "JD" <> wrote in message news:<yYFuc.3309$eP.581@lakeread01>...
    > I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
    > architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
    > happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome prints
    > ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am wondering
    > if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital.

    I'm also an amateur who loved my Nikon N80 and just got the D70.
    After using the D70 for a couple of weeks, I can't imagine going back
    to film. Since you said you want to shoot landscapes and print large,
    I'll offer you one full res image of the Chicago lakefront from my D70
    to take a look at. Follow this link, and go to my 'downloads' page.

    http://homepage.mac.com/parks_chicago

    > 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or do
    > you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.

    The field of view that you see in the viewfinder is what you get in
    your final image.

    > 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?

    I've been satisfied with 16x20 prints, haven't gone larger yet.

    > 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards

    I use the Lexar 40x cards. A 1 GB card holds like 180 RAW images or
    something like 412 full resolution JPGs. The counter counts down
    instead of up, telling how many images you supposedly can take. It
    seems to underestimate by about 50 percent.

    > 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?

    Possible disadvantage in maximum resolution, but I've found that
    digital more than makes up for it in the consistant quality of the
    images. I was surprised at how much better I like the results.

    > 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

    I thought about going with the D100, but found that supplies have
    disappeared just about everywhere. The D70 is cheaper, and a
    wonderful camera.

    Robert Parks

    r. a. parks, Jun 2, 2004
  11. JD

    leo Guest

    "r. a. parks" <> wrote in message
    > "JD" <> wrote in message

    > > I am a serious amateur photographer. I shoot landscapes, flowers and
    > > architecure. My wife and I sell my work at outdoor art shows. I am very
    > > happy with my N 8008S, shooting transparencies and having Fujichrome

    prints
    > > ( up to 18 x 24) made. I have been reading about the D 70 and am

    wondering
    > > if this is the time for me to take "The Step" into digital.

    > I'm also an amateur who loved my Nikon N80 and just got the D70.
    > After using the D70 for a couple of weeks, I can't imagine going back
    > to film. Since you said you want to shoot landscapes and print large,
    > I'll offer you one full res image of the Chicago lakefront from my D70
    > to take a look at. Follow this link, and go to my 'downloads' page.
    >
    > http://homepage.mac.com/parks_chicago
    >
    > > 1 so you see the "cropped" view when looking through the viewfinder or

    do
    > > you have to guess what is cut off when using 35mm lenses.

    > The field of view that you see in the viewfinder is what you get in
    > your final image.
    >
    > > 2. I enlarge up to 18x24 will the D 70 enable me to do this?

    > I've been satisfied with 16x20 prints, haven't gone larger yet.
    >
    > > 3. What additional gadgets would you recommend ie add'l memory cards

    > I use the Lexar 40x cards. A 1 GB card holds like 180 RAW images or
    > something like 412 full resolution JPGs. The counter counts down
    > instead of up, telling how many images you supposedly can take. It
    > seems to underestimate by about 50 percent.
    >
    > > 4. What are the disadvantages of digital?

    > Possible disadvantage in maximum resolution, but I've found that
    > digital more than makes up for it in the consistant quality of the
    > images. I was surprised at how much better I like the results.
    >
    > > 5. Should I save my pennies for a D 100 instead of a D 70?

    > I thought about going with the D100, but found that supplies have
    > disappeared just about everywhere. The D70 is cheaper, and a
    > wonderful camera.
    >
    > Robert Parks

    In your full size Chicago waterfront picture, one of the buildings has
    severe moirés!!! A few other buildings have some traces of moirés but not as
    bad and distracting as that one.

    I think I am glad I didn't wait for D70 but bought the 300D.

    leo, Jun 3, 2004
  12. In article <RVtvc.21008$>,
    "leo" <> wrote:

    > > http://homepage.mac.com/parks_chicago

    > I think I am glad I didn't wait for D70 but bought the 300D.

    That's a function of the smaller thumbnail. If you go to the bigger
    image the moiree disappears. Your comment is a funtion of your ignorance.

    Any Moose Poster, Jun 3, 2004
  13. In article <>,
    Bullwinks@bullwinkle&rockie.net says...
    > That's a function of the smaller thumbnail. If you go to the bigger
    > image the moiree disappears. Your comment is a funtion of your ignorance.

    Actually, I thought the same thing until I went back and looked at the
    full size image. The moire is pretty ugly.

    Brian C. Baird, Jun 3, 2004
  14. JD

    carl Guest

    "Brian C. Baird" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Bullwinks@bullwinkle&rockie.net says...
    > > That's a function of the smaller thumbnail. If you go to the bigger
    > > image the moiree disappears. Your comment is a funtion of your

    ignorance.

    > Actually, I thought the same thing until I went back and looked at the
    > full size image. The moire is pretty ugly.

    16x20 is way too big for digital and it is even a stretch for 35mm full
    frame. I have some 16x20 made from Ektar 25 (discontinued) and Tech Pan that
    look okay, but when you compare them to medium format, you instantly see
    they are a weak compromise. Stay within the range of the tools and you will
    make good images. For 6mp, no matter how noise free, that means 8x10. If you
    look at a print made on a higher res printer, like the canon i9900 for
    example, you will see that the limiting factor is the camera. The epsons
    hide this fact with lower overall sharpness so the differences are not as
    clear. The canon prints 4800x2400 with no visible dots and clearly shows
    where the camera resolution falls away. I agree that digital is getting
    close to 35 equivalent, but that's nowhere near the quality needed for
    presentable large scale prints except to the most casual of viewers.

    carl, Jun 3, 2004