    james graves Guest

    I'd like to get only news which is only 1-7 days old.Limiting the number
    doesn't help.Suggestions.TIA Jimmy
    james graves, Aug 27, 2003

  2. james graves

    Msfan Guest

    james graves wrote:

    > I'd like to get only news which is only 1-7 days old.Limiting the number
    > doesn't help.Suggestions.TIA Jimmy

    That's an option however really difficult for some. Hamster is the news
    server for windows and it's free. hard to use tho sometimes.

    the easiest answer is tell your newsreader how many messages to get.
    mozilla has it as does OE and others. you say get latest 1000 headers
    and it will, etc. then clean up or delete every so many days in the
    prefs settings. but there is no get messages this many days old.
    Msfan, Aug 27, 2003

  3. "james graves" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to get only news which is only 1-7 days old.Limiting the number
    > doesn't help.Suggestions.TIA Jimmy

    You're using Outlook Express 5.00 apparently so I'm not sure if this will
    work the same as for OE6...

    Go to Tools>Message Rules>News...
    In the "Select conditions for your rule" box, check the box next to "Where
    the message was sent more than days ago"
    In the next box down, click on the word "days" (it should be blue and
    underlined). Enter the number of days into the dialog box that pops up and
    click Ok to close the window.
    Type a name for your rule and click Ok.

    Hope that helps...
    Sentient Fluid, Aug 27, 2003
  4. james graves

    Richard Guest

    Sentient Fluid wrote:>>

    > "james graves" <> wrote in message
    >> I'd like to get only news which is only 1-7 days old.Limiting the number
    >> doesn't help.Suggestions.TIA Jimmy

    > You're using Outlook Express 5.00 apparently so I'm not sure if this will
    > work the same as for OE6...

    > Go to Tools>Message Rules>News...
    > In the "Select conditions for your rule" box, check the box next to
    > "Where the message was sent more than days ago"
    > In the next box down, click on the word "days" (it should be blue and
    > underlined). Enter the number of days into the dialog box that pops up
    > and click Ok to close the window.
    > Type a name for your rule and click Ok.

    > Hope that helps...

    The problem with that is, it won't get rid of the messages you already have.
    To make it work, you have to unsubscribe from the group, then subscribe and
    download a fresh set of headers. Any message older than x days will not be
    downloaded.
    You have to keep doing this every x days or you'll get a list of messages
    you don't want.
    Richard, Aug 27, 2003