On my TV: 540p or 1080i

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by JFR, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. JFR

    JFR Guest

    Hi,

    My new Widescreen TV (Toshiba 51H83) lets me select if I want the
    component source to be displayed in 540p or 1080i, but I don't know
    which one is better for viewing DVDs. Because DVDs are standard
    resolution, my initial impression was to choose 540p, but I don't know
    if that's the best choice.

    First off, my DVD player does not provide progressive output, so the
    video signal (through component) will be interlaced. I imagine that the
    TV performs the conversion from interlace to progressive internally if I
    select the 540p mode. But I don't know whether the TV's own progressive
    conversion is any good.

    As for the TV's 1080 interlace mode, I don't know if it's supposed to
    look better; does the TV simply display each line twice, or does it
    perform some kind of interpolation? Maybe the 1080i source is only meant
    for real HD sources?

    I did a quick comparison between the 2 modes and couldn't tell the
    difference by eye. Anyone know which I should choose? Or maybe someone
    could suggest a movie/scene I should use to compare the 2 modes?

    JF
    JFR, Feb 6, 2004

  2. JFR

    Biz Guest

    "JFR" <> wrote in message news:c00pu9$2k6$...
    > Hi,
    >
    > My new Widescreen TV (Toshiba 51H83) lets me select if I want the
    > component source to be displayed in 540p or 1080i, but I don't know
    > which one is better for viewing DVDs. Because DVDs are standard
    > resolution, my initial impression was to choose 540p, but I don't know
    > if that's the best choice.
    >
    > First off, my DVD player does not provide progressive output, so the
    > video signal (through component) will be interlaced. I imagine that the
    > TV performs the conversion from interlace to progressive internally if I
    > select the 540p mode. But I don't know whether the TV's own progressive
    > conversion is any good.
    >
    > As for the TV's 1080 interlace mode, I don't know if it's supposed to
    > look better; does the TV simply display each line twice, or does it
    > perform some kind of interpolation? Maybe the 1080i source is only meant
    > for real HD sources?
    >
    > I did a quick comparison between the 2 modes and couldn't tell the
    > difference by eye. Anyone know which I should choose? Or maybe someone
    > could suggest a movie/scene I should use to compare the 2 modes?
    >
    > JF

    Bottom line, if you can't tell the difference it does not matter one bit
    does it?
    Biz, Feb 6, 2004