    Many Thanks
    Simon

    , Jun 26, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Dear all
    >
    > Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?
    >
    > I have checked flickr and photobox, unsuccessfully

    Who is going to sit and wait for a 8.7 MB image to load? Web browsers don't
    support RAW, so again what is the point? There really is no need to display
    a web image any larger than 700-800 pixels on the long side.

    Darrell Larose, Jun 26, 2006

  3. Roy G Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Dear all
    >
    > Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?
    >
    > I have checked flickr and photobox, unsuccessfully
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > Simon

    I would be extremely surprised if they did.

    Raw is not meant to be a Format for displaying Images. There is no Standard
    for Raw, each Camera maker has their own.

    It is a means of getting a better quality image OFF your camera sensor. It
    needs to be converted to a standard Format, (Tiff, Jpeg or whatever), before
    being displayed or printed.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Jun 26, 2006
  4. Helen Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Dear all
    >
    > Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?

    Of course not. A RAW is not yet a picture; it's binary data.

    Helen, Jun 26, 2006
  5. k-man Guest

    I know that Picasa supports the Canon Rebel XT. I don't know about
    support for other Canon RAW formats. But, if Picasa can read your RAW
    files, then you can use it to batch convert your pics to JPGs and then
    you can just upload them to a site.

    In general, you can probably post a RAW file to some sites; but nobody
    will be able to view it unless they first download it and then open it
    up with a separate viewer.

    Kevin

    k-man, Jun 27, 2006
  6. On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 21:44:24 +0100, Helen wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> Dear all
    >>
    >> Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?
    >>

    > Of course not. A RAW is not yet a picture; it's binary data.

    This is not strictly true of course because both jpg and raw are binary
    data!!
    Both formats are used to represent a real picture on a computer screen or
    to print to a piece of paper.
    However it would be better to view a raw image representing a negative on
    an analogue camara and a jpg the final print.
    It is easier usualt to change things on the negative whilst printing than
    when the photo has been printed to paper.

    I shoot in RAW all the time then I use gimp+udraw to convert to jpg then
    send emails or post to websites with the jpg.

    Simon

    Simon Quantrill, Jun 28, 2006
  7. Mark B. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Dear all
    >
    > Do any of the on-line photo albums support RAW format ?
    >
    > I have checked flickr and photobox, unsuccessfully
    >
    > Many Thanks
    > Simon

    Why in the world would you want to post a full resolution image to an online
    photo album anyway? It would take forever to load on dialup and the image
    size is overkill for internet display. If the album doesn't automatically
    resize the image, you end up scrolling around to see the entire image - very
    annoying. I usually don't post anything larger than 800x600.
    To answer your question, I'm certain there are no online albums that support
    raw.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jun 28, 2006
  8. jason mechler, Jun 30, 2006