    ITinerant Guest

    Is there an extensive on-line documentation for Windows XP Pro x64?

    Thanks

    ITinerant, Jun 14, 2005

  2. The documentation is essentially the same as for Windows XP Professional.
    Since they have similar capabilities, they have similar documentation. And
    yes, it's pretty extensive.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 14, 2005

  3. What kind of information are you looking for?

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jun 14, 2005
  4. ITinerant

    ITinerant Guest

    For example; Why is there a seperate Program Files (x86) directory?

    ITinerant, Jun 14, 2005
  5. I'm going to venture a guess & say that, that folder is there to help
    separate out what's running 32bit on WOW64 & what's running native 64bit.

    Then again, I could be completely wrong in that aspect :-S :) one of the
    MSFT guys would be able to fill the group in much better then I could.

    Andrew

    Andrew Holdeman, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Andrew Holdeman <> wrote:
    > I'm going to venture a guess & say that, that folder is there to help
    > separate out what's running 32bit on WOW64 & what's running native
    > 64bit.
    >
    > Then again, I could be completely wrong in that aspect :-S :) one
    > of the MSFT guys would be able to fill the group in much better then
    > I could.
    >
    > Andrew

    You're right ;)

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 14, 2005
  7. ITinerant

    ITinerant Guest

    Well, that's a start. That's the first I heard of WOW64!
    I Googled it and found a wealth of information. Thanks

    ITinerant, Jun 14, 2005
  8. Yes, Program Files(x86) is there to store 32 bit applications because the
    Program Files is now a native directory (meaning its 64bit only).

    Also the WOW64 components effect the system files (now system32 and
    syswow64) as well as the registry (we have two keys for HKLM\Software, one
    for 64bit (software) and one for 32bit (wow6432node) so that you dont mess
    up settings across applications based on their bit level)

    I think thats a great question, what else would you like to know more about?

    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jun 14, 2005
  9. ITinerant

    ITinerant Guest

    Why are 32bit referred to as x86 while 64bit is referred to as x64?
    BTW Thanks for the earlier reply (below).

    ITinerant, Jun 14, 2005
  10. ITinerant

    John [MSFT] Guest

    x86 comes from the Intel part numbering scheme for CPU chips:

    80386 (sometimes called '386)
    80486
    Pentium thru Pentium IV (which nominally would have been 80586).

    The "X" represents the general family of xxx86.

    For x64, its b/c of the 64-bits. The x is from the x86 notations.

    John [MSFT], Jun 14, 2005