    it to the database, so others can benefit from your experience.

    Many thanks,

    Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 26, 2004

  2. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Adam R. Guest

    > Finally put the on-line database of digicam lenses is actually on line:
    >
    > http://www.exc.com/Photography/Digicams.cgi
    >
    > (It thus complements the on-line 35mm lens database at
    >
    > http://www.exc.com/Photography/Lenses.cgi

    Other than your grammar ("finally put the ... is acutally on line"?) this is
    great. Thanks!

    Adam

    Adam R., Nov 26, 2004

  3. >> Finally put the on-line database of digicam lenses is actually on line:
    >Other than your grammar ("finally put the ... is acutally on line"?) this is
    >great. Thanks!

    Yeah, sorry. It was "I have finally put..." and I wanted to change it
    to "the database is actually on line." I ended up with a combination
    of both. Anyway, it's on-line, and I put it there....

    Enjoy.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 26, 2004
  4. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Gardner Guest

    In article <R_Ipd.21$>,
    (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) writes:

    > Yeah, sorry. It was "I have finally put..." and I wanted to change it
    > to "the database is actually on line." I ended up with a combination
    > of both. Anyway, it's on-line, and I put it there....

    Your entry screen doesn't let me say what the focal ratio of the
    lens is. I have a Pentax 50mm lens. Where do I say that I am
    thinking of the f/2, f/1.8, f/1.7, f/1.4 or f/1.2 version?
    I think you should go through some other lens databases and consider
    how someone might enter that data through your U/I.

    Gardner Buchanan <>
    Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.

    Gardner, Nov 26, 2004
  5. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Alan Browne Guest

    Adam R. wrote:

    > Other than your grammar ("finally put the ... is acutally on line"?) this is
    > great. Thanks!

    Usenetiquette: don't bother pointing out grammar or spelling problems unless it
    makes the intent of the message incomprehensible (or of course when it results
    in some humorous interpretation).

    -- [SI] gallery: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
    -- [SI] rulz: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html

    Alan Browne, Nov 26, 2004
  6. >> [re http://www.exc.com/Photography ]

    >Your entry screen doesn't let me say what the focal ratio of the
    >lens is. I have a Pentax 50mm lens. Where do I say that I am
    >thinking of the f/2, f/1.8, f/1.7, f/1.4 or f/1.2 version?
    >I think you should go through some other lens databases and consider
    >how someone might enter that data through your U/I.

    Put it in additional information. (Many lenses come in only one FL,
    so having that information isn't always necessary.) I'm purposely
    trying to minimize the amount of time it takes to enter information.
    There's no reason you can't enter information about a lens in 60
    seconds the way I have it set up now.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Nov 26, 2004
  7. [re: http://www.exc.com/Photography ]

    >Your entry screen doesn't let me say what the focal ratio of the
    >lens is. I have a Pentax 50mm lens. Where do I say that I am
    >thinking of the f/2, f/1.8, f/1.7, f/1.4 or f/1.2 version?
    >I think you should go through some other lens databases and consider
    >how someone might enter that data through your U/I.

    As I said, the aperture can go in the "additional information" field,
    which is where people have been putting it.

    But on reconsideration, I've decided you're right. I've added a field
    for widest aperture, and moved the aperature information from the
    "model" field to the aperture field for the lenses already in the
    database.

    (BTW, does Pentax really make an f/1.7 lens?)

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    -Joel

    Please feed the 35mm lens/digicam databases: http://www.exc.com/photography

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Dec 3, 2004
  8. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Gardner Guest

    Gardner, Dec 4, 2004
  9. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Gardner Guest

    In article <R60sd.2$>,
    (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) writes:

    > (BTW, does Pentax really make an f/1.7 lens?)

    ....and I missed the 50 f/2.8 macro.

    Gardner, Dec 4, 2004
  10. Someone pointed out that the on-line database of digicams:

    http://www.exc.com/Photography/Digicams.cgi

    suffered from a bug whereby it only printed every second entry. I've
    fixed the problem. While there still aren't all that many user
    reports (please add one!), there are effectively twice as many today
    as there were yesterday.

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Dec 16, 2004